illegal vbulletin

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KimmiKat
    • Jul 2003

As long as they keep a good, working email addy current in the member centre.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
    Even then, people get notices ahead of the expiration.
    Kim

Comment

• Blootix.com
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Khaleel
      Yes Dont ask when I was using IPB it happend (daft I know!) but they showed this massive banner saying illegal site - it messed everything up, my host blocked my account and everything - crazy stuff, IPB did not apologize so I had to move hosts
      How? Even if you purchased the Year License you can continue to run your board---You just don't get support or upgrades... So unless you're running the IPB Trial version....

Comment

• Unmutual
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.6.x

Yes Dont ask when I was using IPB it happend (daft I know!) but they showed this massive banner saying illegal site - it messed everything up, my host blocked my account and everything - crazy stuff, IPB did not apologize so I had to move hosts
        I gotta say I reckon that's ******** mate....I used IPB for 3 years so I should now. And I've still got a leased licence running.
        The commercial product that had to be paid for wasn't released till September last year. So if you took out a leased licence it wouldn't expire till this September.....and you're allowed to keep on running it after expiry anyway. You just can't get upgrades.
        The only IPB installation that's likely to get hit with your scenario is an illegal pirated copy.
        Homes-Spain

Comment

• ManagerJosh
          • Jun 2002

If you had a leased license, and let it expire, it would probably fall under piracy regardless since you didn't renew or pay the proper fees to maintain the license.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Danbc
            • Oct 2001

Originally posted by pieman666
            But, you don't have any access to older versions of the software even if you have a currently paid up membership. vB only keep the current version of the software available for download, and as you have obviously downloaded it once, they unsuprisingly expect you too keep your own backups of the software.

Well, it obiously came as a surprise to me, since I assumed that if it weren´t stated otherwise, my owners license would permit me to download the software I paid for when I wanted to, since that´s possible with other software companies I´ve purchased software from.

Comment

• Unmutual
              • Aug 2004
              • 3.6.x

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
              If you had a leased license, and let it expire, it would probably fall under piracy regardless since you didn't renew or pay the proper fees to maintain the license.
              No it doesn't Josh. You can use an expired leased licence indefinitely, but you get no upgrades or support.
              However, in true IPB style, you can probably expect another U turn on that soon.
              Homes-Spain

Comment

• Khaleel
                Banned
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Unmutual
                I gotta say I reckon that's ******** mate....I used IPB for 3 years so I should now. And I've still got a leased licence running.
                The commercial product that had to be paid for wasn't released till September last year. So if you took out a leased licence it wouldn't expire till this September.....and you're allowed to keep on running it after expiry anyway. You just can't get upgrades.
                The only IPB installation that's likely to get hit with your scenario is an illegal pirated copy.
                This was a while ago smart ass and its true. It happend a long time ago and they did apologize for it saying it was automated

Comment

• Unmutual
                  • Aug 2004
                  • 3.6.x

This was a while ago smart ass and its true. It happend a long time ago and they did apologize for it saying it was automated
                  Yes of course it is.
                  "long time ago"....what...even before it became a fully commercial product last September?
                  As far as I know (after 3 years with IPB) they don't nuke leased licences....yet yours was...allegedly.
                  Can you link me to a thread on the IPB forum where you may have reported it because I'd like to see how this alleged scenario unfolded?
                  Homes-Spain

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...