X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Khaleel
    Banned
    • Oct 2004

illegal vbulletin

Ok say if someone has a legal vbulletin account, all stuff members area etc, and they have not paid for the renewal and one day it becomes "illegal" because he has not paid for the next year licence, is this breaking the law or is there a 3day must pay by system?
  • conqsoft
    • Jul 2003
    • 3.6.x

They need to have it renewed before the date it expires, or they need to take it offline on the date it expires.
    vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

• Dan
      • Dec 2002

are you speaking about a leased or owned licence?

Owned you can use it forever you just won't recieve support as much or get access to a newer version after a year. (You can renew for 30 dollars)

A leased licence is only valid for a year and if you don't buy a new one after it expires it is illegal.

Comment

• KimmiKat
        • Jul 2003

Or what someone posted on web host's forum awhile back... Their lease expired, but couldn't pay for a couple of weeks, so they took the board offline and stuck a page up indicating the board was offline for "upgrades." When they got word from Jelsoft sales their payment was recieved, the board went back up. The person did upgrade the board... Got a owned license.

Originally posted by conqsoft
        They need to have it renewed before the date it expires, or they need to take it offline on the date it expires.
        Kim

Comment

• Khaleel
          Banned
          • Oct 2004

Say incase - it expires and i get forget to take it offline

Comment

• Steve Machol
            Former Customer Support Manager
            • Jul 2000

Why do you want to know? Are you planning to do this?
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• KimmiKat
              • Jul 2003

Use the board's calendar system or have a friend remind you a day or so before the expiry date. You don't want to take a chance. The contractor that handles vB's piracy concerns is not so nice. Best bet is to shut 'er down until the license is renewed.
              Kim

Comment

• Bad_i_BILL
                • May 2004
                • 1.1.x

Don't run the date down so close.

Like renew 30 or 60 days early, play it SAFE.

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                  • Jun 2002

Even then, people get notices ahead of the expiration.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Khaleel
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Steve Machol
                    Why do you want to know? Are you planning to do this?
                    Yes Dont ask when I was using IPB it happend (daft I know!) but they showed this massive banner saying illegal site - it messed everything up, my host blocked my account and everything - crazy stuff, IPB did not apologize so I had to move hosts

Comment

• Danbc
                      • Oct 2001

Owned you can use it forever you just won't recieve support as much or get access to a newer version after a year. (You can renew for 30 dollars)
                      Not exactly, not only do you loose support and the abillity to download newer version of Vbulletin, you loose download access to ALL versions, including the one you was eligeble for in your renewal period. That´s atleast what I´ve found after my renewal period ran out, no download option at all.

So it would be a good idea for the Vbulletin crew to tell the users that people need to make sure to have a local copy of Vbulletin before the renewal period expires.

Comment

• akex054
                        • Aug 2003
                        • 3.0.0 'Gold'

Originally posted by Khaleel
                        Yes Dont ask when I was using IPB it happend (daft I know!) but they showed this massive banner saying illegal site - it messed everything up, my host blocked my account and everything - crazy stuff, IPB did not apologize so I had to move hosts
                        It's not their fault but yours, don't expect anybody to let use his software after the purchase period ended.

It will be the same for vBulletin too. You must renew your licence to continue using vb, or close the site until your purchase it again. That's all.

Comment

• Neocorteqz
                          • Aug 2002

You do not lose support on an owned license if you do not renew, Just download access.

Comment

• Danbc
                            • Oct 2001

Yeah true, but still it´s a little bit strange to loose all download access, even to software you were eligible for within your renewal period, and since those versions aren´t a update I find it a bit strange that one looses access to those versions aswell. It might be a language barrier thing or something, but when I read the term renewal access, I understand it as loosing access to new versions of the software, not software that I allready "have paid for" to be able to download.

Comment

• pieman666
                              • Jan 2005

But, you don't have any access to older versions of the software even if you have a currently paid up membership. vB only keep the current version of the software available for download, and as you have obviously downloaded it once, they unsuprisingly expect you too keep your own backups of the software.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...