Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • futureal
    • Aug 2001

Two sites, two forums, one instance of the database

This is going to be a "can this be done in theory?" post.

I have two separate domains with two separate websites, both hosted on the same server, and I'd like to share a forum between them. This means that when you browse the forum on A, you stay within www.A.com/forum, and when you browse the forum on B, you stay within www.B.com/forum.

And then I need the following:

#1) The order that the forums are displayed in (e.g. the displayorder) needs to differ on B from A.

#2) The B forum needs to have a completely different style (users will be prevented from selecting styles, so those accessing A will always see the A style and those accessing on B will always see the B style).

Will this require a second license? (assuming yes)

I know that on the server side, I can simply make two different instances of the /forum/ hierarchy that share the same database. On the two above points, though, I am not sure the best way to go about it. Obviously code hacking is one option (like a secondary displayorder column in the forum table, and then hacking the code on B to grab that column).

If you have heard of anybody trying this and have some feedback, I'd love to hear it. Also need to know the answer to the license question. Thanks!
    Editor, Xtreme RC Cars Magazine
    Owner, R/C Tech
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Assuming the content of the forums is different, then this will require two licenses.

It also requires modifying the code. You can try asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• futureal
      • Aug 2001

The content, meaning everything inside of the database, would be identical. Users would see the same forums on either site, only in a different order. The only difference would be (apparently) two instances of the /forum hierarchy, one modified differently than the other.
      Editor, Xtreme RC Cars Magazine
      Owner, R/C Tech

Comment

• Steve Machol
        Former Customer Support Manager
        • Jul 2000

Then it sounds like one license would do. It still requires quite a bit of code modification though.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...