Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KamWest
    • Sep 2004

Are they nuts?

I've been runnung Invisionboard for a few years now and have always dreamed of changing to vBulletin.

Now that InvisionBoard is more expensive the choice is clear.
    vBulletin all the way!!!

I only need standard support so here is my comparison.

vBulletin
    $85.00 License
    160.00 Owned
    $120.00 Branding free option
    I need owned and branding free for total of $280.00

InvisionBoard
    $69.00 License
    199.00 Owned
    $275.00 Branding free option
    I need owned and branding free for total of $474.00

I put up with less features on InvisionBoard but now that vBulletin is cheaper how can anyone still use InvisionBoard?
    I need to find a way to convert InvisionBoard 1.3 to vBulletin and I'm in business.
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

We have an import script for IPB. You can read about it here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...17&postcount=4 (IPB 1.1-1.3)
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software, once you made your purchase don't forget to goto the members area and fill in the priority support page so you show up licensed on these forums. Then you can get not just basic, but professional 24/7 support from our trained staff and great community members.

Note: Licensed members can download the impex software developed by jelsoft for free to import their data from vbulletin Small gift to those who want to convert from ipb to vbulletin (or any other software for that matter)

Comment

• Lenni
        • Aug 2004
        • 3.6.x

invision power board still got some features which are quite good. but as i read in some suggestions, vbulletin will have some of those sometime soon too.
        selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Floris
          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by rin
          invision power board still got some features which are quite good. but as i read in some suggestions, vbulletin will have some of those sometime soon too.
          Sure they got some good features, vBulletin introduces new features, the community wants it but didn't want to pay for them, IPS codes it in their way and includes it in their next update. So, basicly aside a few exceptions, you can get the real deal with vbulletin

^----- personal assumption.

Comment

• KamWest
            • Sep 2004

Hmm seems like I forgot that vBulletin charges $30 per year to get the upgrades and IPB does not. I'm kinda torn now, I have to check IPB again because owned means support and upgrades forever.

Comment

• DarknessDivine
              • May 2004
              • 3.7.x

Hmm seems like I forgot that vBulletin charges $30 per year to get the upgrades and IPB does not
              Correct I just went and checked myself..

Got a Boxer?
              BoxerTalk

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

I generaly dont like pointing this out, however, its 190 for 2 years of download access, which is still cheeper than IBP's initail cost. Now, in the past few years IPB has been around, their TOS and EULAs have changed many times(not to mention price), vBulletin still has not changed its price or drasticly changed its EULA.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

The $30 per year is an optional service. You are not asked to pay that every 12 months. You get it once for free, and then you get it for 12 months per time each time you want to use this.

Comment

• KamWest
                    • Sep 2004

Yes but it is necessary to pay it to keep your software up to date.
                    You are right about IPB changing their TOS quite often. I wonder how long owned will still mean free upgrades.

I'm still leaning to vBulletin because it looks like a lot more stable company and lets face it I can't afford to make a mistake. It's a lot of work running a very popular forum so constantly changing software is not an option.

Comment

• peterska2
                      • Oct 2003
                      • 3.7.x

Well dividing the difference between the two prices you can have vBulletin with members area access for 7 years before you reach the outlay cost that IPB are charging.

Comment

• James Kojiro
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 3.6.x

Originally posted by KamWest
                        I've been runnung Invisionboard for a few years now and have always dreamed of changing to vBulletin.

Now that InvisionBoard is more expensive the choice is clear.
                        vBulletin all the way!!!

I only need standard support so here is my comparison.

vBulletin
                        $85.00 License
                        160.00 Owned
                        $120.00 Branding free option
                        I need owned and branding free for total of $280.00

InvisionBoard
                        $69.00 License
                        199.00 Owned
                        $275.00 Branding free option
                        I need owned and branding free for total of $474.00

I put up with less features on InvisionBoard but now that vBulletin is cheaper how can anyone still use InvisionBoard?
                        I need to find a way to convert InvisionBoard 1.3 to vBulletin and I'm in business.
                        ImpEx. It is a download in the members area.

Oh, and another thing. I want to tell you that vBulletin is the best. This is not an opinion. You get priority tech support, you get the PSD files of the images used in creating vBulletin and you get to download every single hack and/or add-on at vbulletin.com, vbulletin.org, and vbulletin-templates.com.

If you want power, choose vBulletin
                        If you want to waste your money, choose Invision

Comment

• Floris
                          • Dec 2001

Is this conversation still going?
                          If you want to know a lot about IPS and its services, goto their web site, if you want to know more about vBulletin, stick around here.

We offer our services, free or at our set prices, and they offer theirs. And there are more BBS companies that do the same.

Comment

• wbutchart
                            • May 2004

Originally posted by KamWest
                            Yes but it is necessary to pay it to keep your software up to date.
                            You are right about IPB changing their TOS quite often. I wonder how long owned will still mean free upgrades.

I'm still leaning to vBulletin because it looks like a lot more stable company and lets face it I can't afford to make a mistake. It's a lot of work running a very popular forum so constantly changing software is not an option.
                            $30 isnt much esp for what it brings. Ipb will not catch up with vb i dont think and it will more than likely start charging for that as well. The simple fact is that vb is honest and upfront in what it costs and doesnt say one thing and do another. But ib does its simply not a trustworthy company and it seems it deletes a lot of topics now as well banning people for there opinions. Are you really willing to put your money into a company that could change its policys again any time?. And as a previous ib user i cannot recomend this board enough people say that ibp 2 isnt far off well in my opinion its miles away. Vb has the best admin options i have seen and its stable as anything. I once searched google through my url and discoverd that google had over 100 errors indexed where pages should have been cause of ipb.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                              • Oct 2004
                              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by wbutchart
                              $30 isnt much esp for what it brings. Ipb will not catch up with vb i dont think and it will more than likely start charging for that as well. The simple fact is that vb is honest and upfront in what it costs and doesnt say one thing and do another. But ib does its simply not a trustworthy company and it seems it deletes a lot of topics now as well banning people for there opinions. Are you really willing to put your money into a company that could change its policys again any time?. And as a previous ib user i cannot recomend this board enough people say that ibp 2 isnt far off well in my opinion its miles away. Vb has the best admin options i have seen and its stable as anything. I once searched google through my url and discoverd that google had over 100 errors indexed where pages should have been cause of ipb.

i have seen people banned from IPB but not for their opinions but for flaming the admins and users of the forums and or the software witch i understand. other things u have seen people get banned for is for posting ways to hack the software to remove the branding or use it in other illegial means. opinion posts rarley get removed but if people start useing XXX language then i see no harm or fowl in removing a topic or banning a user. besides all topics are archived so registered forum members can still look up old topics. i have has only one opinion topic removed and a ban set on someone who replied to that topic because the poster called me and every IPB user gay. others got baned for useing 1 licence for like 7 forums.

ipb is a great product and i do like their prices as they include the tech support that you only get for one year here. if i get a lifetime licence i think i should get lifetime support included.

i do like VB too however.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...