X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lenni
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.6.x

Attention:

The current imported passwords need to be reset via email. Thats kinda annoying but since the database will not be altered, the only way to log in into an imported board. however, there might be a hack released soon.
    selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• KimmiKat
      • Jul 2003

Or maybe if you win the Lottery!

Originally posted by Floris
      I won't lie to you 'vBulletin will always cost money, unless they make me CEO'.
      Kim

Comment

• Lacrosse Boy
        • Jan 2003

Interestingly enough, some people actually run vBulletin lites as their board still!

Here's one: http://www.modemhelp.net/vblite/index.php3
        | DiscBurn | CD & DVD Replication services, film and VHS to DVD, and duplication equipment
        |
        Disc On Demand | Short-run CD & DVD duplication... all online.

Comment

• RockStar
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gab1982
          actually your timing is a touch out, they made the final version and for like a week people where downloading that for free and i know that because i was going to uni at that time and downloaded the free trial myself, but then i purchased one as i needed the support, also it had been on the cards for sometime and its not like they had just finished PF4 and then started charging, they did actually finish the final version and shortly after started charging, anyway its there company they can do whatever they want with it.
          The abolishment of the free trial happened like 3 days ago. When you run a company, you have what is called a business plan.. you dont just take decisions on a whim.. they probably planned this from the beginning, which is what I find dishonest.

You've probably seen the amount of posts about the 'free trial' and how it was believed to be unlimited and you could try it forever, or how you could buy a one year and still use it as a free trial for as long as you want after the year ends. You probably noticed how they were all hush-hush about any questions regarding that, cause they were lauging in their beards. Of course they'll be able to trial it forever, cause as soon as we get 2.0 final, it'll be pay-only, which means no patches for free-trialers.. and if their boards have some security flaw at any point in the future, that puts users in the position of having to pay whatever they ask for just to make their board safe, since they've already went through all the trouble of converting to 2.0.

But you're right, it's their company and they can do whatever they want with it.. but a company is only as good as the satisfaction of its clients, and from what I see, vBulletin is the only of the two that understood this good business principle.
          http://www.avrilstar.com hosted by micfo.com
          http://www.sandyleah.com

Comment

• James Kojiro
            • Jun 2004
            • 3.6.x

IPB has betrayed it's users, but we can see some good from this.

If people are going to pay for a BB system than why just get a mediocre system like Invision. I encourage everyone looking at Invision to step up to the best...

vBulletin Forever baby!

Comment

• Andy Huang
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by rin
              Attention:

The current imported passwords need to be reset via email. Thats kinda annoying but since the database will not be altered, the only way to log in into an imported board. however, there might be a hack released soon.
              Actually, password reset is only necessairy if you are importing from a SHA1 encryption algorithm board. Most modern php based forums use MD5 for password encryption, and older boards uses no encryption. These convertion will not require password reset.

BTW, rin, your IPB skin looks great! But what's up with the mouse over messing up your top bar? I moved my mouse over and went "WTF!?!" lol :P

Secondly, on the invision issue...
              Personally, I think it is a good business stratagie in the long run, but there is no question that many of their old users will feel decieved. Especially providing high emphsis that
              there will always be a free version of invision
              and
              there is not and will not be downgrade script made available
              . This basically makes the free trial users hooped because they upgraded their board but now cannot use it because it requires a license... Oh well, c'est la vie...
              Last edited by Andy Huang; Tue 28 Sep '04, 9:34am.
              Best Regards,
              Andy Huang

Comment

• Lenni
                • Aug 2004
                • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Alfarin
                Actually, password reset is only necessairy if you are importing from a SHA1 encryption algorithm board. Most modern php based forums use MD5 for password encryption, and older boards uses no encryption. These convertion will not require password reset.

BTW, rin, your IPB skin looks great! But what's up with the mouse over messing up your top bar? I moved my mouse over and went "WTF!?!" lol :P

Secondly, on the invision issue...
                Personally, I think it is a good business stratagie in the long run, but there is no question that many of their old users will feel decieved. Especially providing high emphsis that and . This basically makes the free trial users hooped because they upgraded their board but now cannot use it because it requires a license... Oh well, c'est la vie...
                hm. but as far as i know ipb2.0 uses salts to decrypt the passwords + md5(). vbulletin 3.0.x uses the same method but their table is different and so the password cant be the same without altering the table.
                what hover do you mean?
                selling kawaiiNation.com

Comment

• Andy Huang
                  • Feb 2004

You can't decrypt an MD5 hash; however, ImpExDatabase.php (~Line 631) have some information on how it is ported.
                  Code:
                  if ($this->_password_md5_already)
                  	{
                  	  $newpassword = md5($this->get_value('nonmandatory', 'password') . $salt);
                  	}
                  	else
                  	{
                  	 $newpassword = md5(md5($this->get_value('nonmandatory', 'password')) . $salt);
                  	}
                  I don't think you would need to email reset passwords; but I'm not sure...

http://kawaiination.com/community/index.php, move your mouse from google ad to [>> CALENDAR], then to [>> HELP], then to [>> MEMBER]. Notice the background image flickers as you exit the button area and enters the picture? Maybe because this pc the campus have is junk so it lags.. I dunno...

PS: vB Team, sorry if I'm not suppose to post the code. Please remove it from the post as you seem fit. I am aware it says I cannot redistribute significant part, but I don't think the above is significant at the time of posting.
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
                    Former vBulletin Developer
                    • Dec 2000

I think Jerry's code handled the IPB 2 method since its identical to ours apart from the salt is a md5 hash rather than just added on at the end.
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Branden
                      • Dec 2002

A post from IPB's lead developer a while back...

"Yes, we're pushing our paid services harder, but we're still offering a free product that is fully functional. This has always been our vision and it's not going to change. "They" said 1.1 wouldn't be free, it was. "They" said 1.2 wouldn't be free, it was. "They" said 1.3 wouldn't be free, it was. "They" say 2.0 won't be free - and it will be."

Comment

• perfectphp
                        • Sep 2002

Please understand this.

Since 1.3.1, there was NO FREE VERSION OF IPB. There was the trial, and you're not "forced" to upgrade your software, since you're not a paying customer. The trial was used to see if you like their software. I repeat, THERE WAS NO FREE VERSION OF 2.0 BETA.

Comment

• perfectphp
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Branden
                          A post from IPB's lead developer a while back...
                          Imagine a company wanting to be, now get this..., a company that makes money! How dare them change their way of business so they can better serve your requests/support/etc. I agree, it's been a lot of change, but it's been a lot of change for the good.

Comment

• Andy Huang
                            • Feb 2004

Actually, 2.0 PDR 1, PDR2, PDR3, PF1, and PF2 had you go through the same agreement document where you cannot retransfer the software to another person (same as 1.3.1 and late 1.3 F). In Final, the download form no longer exist and you can simply click link to download. I was an IPB user from pre 1.0 era way back when Matt first left Ikonboard, and been a big fan of the company until just a couple days ago. I guess you can say that I was with it every step of the way
                            Best Regards,
                            Andy Huang

Comment

• ManagerJosh
                              • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Alfarin
                              Actually, 2.0 PDR 1, PDR2, PDR3, PF1, and PF2 had you go through the same agreement document where you cannot retransfer the software to another person (same as 1.3.1 and late 1.3 F). In Final, the download form no longer exist and you can simply click link to download. I was an IPB user from pre 1.0 era way back when Matt first left Ikonboard, and been a big fan of the company until just a couple days ago. I guess you can say that I was with it every step of the way
                              I am going to assume you've become more of a vB fan now?
                              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• Andy Huang
                                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
                                I am going to assume you've become more of a vB fan now?
                                hehe, I think vB is a good software, and the support is 1000 times better than IPB's support; but I'm not quite at the state where I'm in love with vB... yet.
                                Best Regards,
                                Andy Huang

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...