Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ryank
    • Sep 2004

IPB charging

Well since IPS LIED to us, ill might purchace vB soon (if i do itll be in like 2 months cuz i dont have alot of $)

anyway, after visiting archive.org i noticed this on the ibforums.com in Sept 2002

Originally posted by IPS, Sept 2002
    Apache, PHP and mySQL are all free, why should you pay for a bulletin board?
    Hope to make my purchace soon
  • James Kojiro
    • Jun 2004
    • 3.6.x

Good choice, if you are going to pay for a BB, why not the best bb out there?

Comment

• Floris
      • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ryank
      Well since IPS LIED to us, ill might purchace vB soon (if i do itll be in like 2 months cuz i dont have alot of $)

anyway, after visiting archive.org i noticed this on the ibforums.com in Sept 2002

Hope to make my purchace soon
      Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software, we are looking forward to your purchase. Please note that our impex software is free for download, comes with free support and if you want us to help you import your IPB data - no problem!

Comment

• Ghil Aelendir
        • Sep 2004

this is funny..I guess everyone is doing the same thing heh

Comment

• ryank
          • Sep 2004

Well the only thing keeping me from buying it before was that IPB was free and vB was $160 i think for a lifetime lisence. vB is also much cheaper then IPB (at least now it is) and IPB gets its features from vB anyway.

Comment

• Floris
            • Dec 2001

Originally posted by ryank
            Well the only thing keeping me from buying it before was that IPB was free and vB was $160 i think for a lifetime lisence. vB is also much cheaper then IPB (at least now it is) and IPB gets its features from vB anyway.
            With IPS changing their policy quite a few times in quite a short period of time, unlike Jelsoft .. I'd personally feel more comfortable purchasing a Jelsoft license. But that could be considered biased.

Comment

• Ghil Aelendir
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Floris
              With IPS changing their policy quite a few times in quite a short period of time, unlike Jelsoft .. I'd personally feel more comfortable purchasing a Jelsoft license. But that could be considered biased.
              lol it could, but it is true anyway.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                • Sep 2001

Okay, then I will say it cause thats how I feel. I understand liscences can and will change but I dont think I have seen any change - not even a price increase - in the last 4 years i've been running a board.

Not only that but it still seems as if support at ipb (by thier staff) is questionable at best {There are a couple of threads from people about tickets not having been answered}. With vbulletin, I've always had my questions answered in a matter of minutes if not instanteously!.

At this point, in my mind, this is like buying a Daewoo or a Lexus when both cost the same price... its like why would you even consider the Daewoo?
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Andy Huang
                  • Feb 2004

I think IPS' decision will be good for their business in the long run as any future prospecting forum users will be forced to purchase their software instead of download it and use it forever. BUT, the problem is that in this short period, they will lose a LOT of customers because their existing free users (who like myself) may feel disgussed by their "lie" about it always being a free software.
                  Best Regards,
                  Andy Huang

Comment

• Floris
                    • Dec 2001

I won't lie to you 'vBulletin will always cost money, unless they make me CEO'.

Comment

• Andy Huang
                      • Feb 2004

I won't lie to you 'vBulletin will always cost money, unless they make me CEO'.
                      With the exception of vBulletin Lite; which vB team have discontinued

But, hey, words in advance, if you do become CEO, you're hooking me up with a few copies of free vB :P
                      Best Regards,
                      Andy Huang

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

the 'lite' releases were not 'free vbulletins', they were 'test vbulletins'. Incomplete, buggy, insecury - test versions of outdated source code.

Comment

• xmitchx
                          • May 2004
                          • 3.8.x

I actually came to vB for their support.

IPS is crap in my opinion. They continue to not only change their policy, but also their layout. Then they change their software from free to paid. Oh yea, their custom support is the worst ive ever seen.

I came to vB, and I love it...

Comment

• C_P
                            • Aug 2004

And sooo they come. I consider myself a former IBF'er if any wish to ask me on how vB is better....
                            First and foremost, Support! How long would this post last at IBF and how many responses would any of you received over there? No less the staff response over there. Here, the staff is VERY concerned about it's users. I have been in Customer Support for a living for over 15 years of my life, I think I know support.
                            Shoot me a pm as this really should not be a "slam" session on IBF.
                            I can answer most question on differences and why I personally like vB in a PM so this is not discussed in a open forum.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                              Former Customer Support Manager
                              • Jul 2000

Just a reminder to please refrain from name-calling and insults.
                              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...