Is the a way to set up two+ vBulletin boards that a user can access with one login?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rnmcd
    • Aug 2004
    • 3.5.x

Is the a way to set up two+ vBulletin boards that a user can access with one login?

I would like to run to different vBulletin boards but I don't want the users to have to take the time to register for each of them. Is there a way for me to set up vBulletin to allow users to login once and have access to both (or more) of my boards?

Thank you.
    Last edited by rnmcd; Tue 10 Aug '04, 9:13am. Reason: another misspelling...
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

This is planned for a future release at this time. However, there is no timetable as of yet for its implementation. You can check at vBulletin.org to see if someone has made modifications available to facilitate this.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• rnmcd
      • Aug 2004
      • 3.5.x

Just curious have there been other requests for this? It seems like it would be very useful.

Comment

• Floris
        • Dec 2001

Yes, there are monthly requests for this feature.

Note: Despite only one user table being used, there are two instances running, this would require 2 licenses. (Just for your information)

Comment

Said modification could be easily done but I have not see anyone release it yet.

Comment

• rnmcd
            • Aug 2004
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Brad.loo
            Said modification could be easily done but I have not see anyone release it yet.
            who could easily do it? I would like to contact them .

Comment

• rnmcd
              • Aug 2004
              • 3.5.x

Scott MacVicar described a method that could be used to do it if both/all boards were on the same server. Does anyone know if it would be possible on different servers?

Thanks!

Comment

• Zachery
                Former vBulletin Support
                • Jul 2002

Theres no very secure way to do it.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                  • Oct 2004
                  • 3.7.x

well if they dont share computers they could just use the same username and password and click the remember me button so they dont have to log in at every browser visit.

Comment

• rnmcd
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                    Theres no very secure way to do it.
                    What would make it insecure by using two separate servers?
                    I could see that it would be very inconvenient for the Admin to sync user databases (if that was how it was done) but I am not sure what makes it insecure.

Thanks.

Comment

• Mike Anime
                      • Oct 2004
                      • 3.7.x

As a mod, for forum support on another host I can tell you unless the servers are in the same group by the same host provider it can get verry unsecure. Think of it like being on cable internet without a firewall of ANY sort. Data transmitted between different hosts can get Mucked up rather easily.

Another example say you can't connect to the server your site is on but, you can't it could be a router you go through that others dont. Thus causing you to not be able to connect to the server. These are some reasons it can be unsecure to do it on 2 different servers.
                      Last edited by Mike Anime; Thu 7 Oct '04, 12:52pm.

Comment

• rnmcd
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by Mike Anime
                        as a mod for forum support on another host i can tell you unless the servers are in the same group by the same host provider it can get verry unsecure. think of it lik ebeing on cable internet without a firewall of any sort. data transmitted between different hosts can get Mucked up rather easily.

another example say you cant connect to the server your site is on but you cant it could be a router you go through that others dont causing you to not be able to connect to the server these are som ereasons it can be unsecure to do it on 2 different servers.
                        I have no doubt that you could be correct but I can't understand what you've typed...could you add some puctuation? thanks.

Comment

• lange
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by rnmcd
                          I would like to run to different vBulletin boards but I don't want the users to have to take the time to register for each of them. Is there a way for me to set up vBulletin to allow users to login once and have access to both (or more) of my boards?

Thank you.

Adapt this hack. Use multiple forums sharing a user database. http://phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=55

Comment

• kippesp
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by rnmcd
                            who could easily do it? I would like to contact them .
                            I always chuckle when someone says this particular hack is easy. If someone wants to discuss this on vb.org, post a link to the thread.

I've been working on this since it is required for our forums. We must link four forums with a single user login. But easy? I just diff-ed against the original 3.0.3 code and it produced a unified diff 7,800 lines long! Although it works, it creates a few problems that I still am resolving. Plus I've not changed any admin functions that should also be made.

I guess it depends on how picky a person is. How would styles be handled? What about reputation and user notes? And the calendar? And the birthday cron job? And password strikes? And deleting a user together with posts? Or even changing the log in name of the user?

For us, we would love it if vBulletin supported this as an option. It would save a whole host of time with modifications and testing.
                            Last edited by kippesp; Thu 7 Oct '04, 9:33pm.
                            Cygwin - all the tools to make Windows complete (cvs, vim, diff, grep, gcc, ssh, ...)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...