Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Slikk
    • Jul 2002

Considering Purchasing...

Ok, I got a few good questions I would like to ask and hopefully to get answered in the way I am hoping. Ok, here we go.

Ok, I am leaning towards Invision Power Board and vBulletin. Why should I choose VB over IBF? Like, what does vB have over IBF and what does IBF have over vB?

Another question is, if I purchase the "Owned License" is it a life-time license or is it like a yearly license to some sort? What's the difference between that and the leased license?

Do I get access to templates, hacks, etc for vB for free if I am a user account or am I going to have to have a seperate license for that as well and if not, then I think I am going to like vBulletin.

Finally, how well is the support here? Is it quick and detailed or is it slow and not so well explained if I happen to run into any major problems?

One more quick question, but it's off-topic and I am sorry for doing so, but which companies where I can buy my own server to put my vBulletin on and I need something where I want have bandwidth excessive useage errors and a good bit of space for a just in case kind of thing?

If I posted in the wrong category, forgive me for I am new and move it to the right forum.

Thanks in advance.
    John
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

I'll let our customers answer the questions about why they chose vB and what the service is like.

As for the licenses with both the leased and owned licenses you get one year of access to the downloads section so you can download the latest versions during this time. After the year, the renewal for this download access is just $30 for the owned license. However with the lease license you will need to purchase a new license (owned or leased) after the year is up tio continue running the software.

Also as an owner you have complete access to all the downloads here, and at vbulletin.org (for hacks) and the template site vbulletintemplates.com
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• daemon
      • Jun 2003
      • 3.5.x

Ok, I am leaning towards Invision Power Board and vBulletin. Why should I choose VB over IBF? Like, what does vB have over IBF and what does IBF have over vB?
      I find vBulletin has a far superior template engine which allows better customization. Also, it has great support I'm not sure of the pros of IPB because I haven't used it that much. But, I have written hacks for vBulletin and IPB, and I can definitely say that I like vB's code much better

I also find that vBulletin has a better out-of-the-box style. If you want a list of features, I'd suggest reading this:

Another question is, if I purchase the "Owned License" is it a life-time license or is it like a yearly license to some sort? What's the difference between that and the leased license?
      If you purchase an "owned" license, you can run the installation forever, and you get support forever. But, if you want to continue to be able to get downloads from the Members' Area, you need to renew every year (or whenever you want) for $30.

Do I get access to templates, hacks, etc for vB for free if I am a user account or am I going to have to have a seperate license for that as well and if not, then I think I am going to like vBulletin.
      Templates and hacks are both free.

Finally, how well is the support here? Is it quick and detailed or is it slow and not so well explained if I happen to run into any major problems?
      Support is great. You can either post in the support forums or you can open up a support ticket. Both are answered very quickly and thoughtfully. I've never had a problem with support. (And if you mess up real bad, they'll sometimes help you out by logging into your server and fixing it for you )

One more quick question, but it's off-topic and I am sorry for doing so, but which companies where I can buy my own server to put my vBulletin on and I need something where I want have bandwidth excessive useage errors and a good bit of space for a just in case kind of thing?
      You need any host that supports PHP and MySQL; the vB staff can not give you one, but you can look in the 'vBulletin Hosting Options' forum for some good ideas.

If I posted in the wrong category, forgive me for I am new and move it to the right forum.
      Right place
      Bugdar: PHP bug tracking software that is beautiful, fast, and robust.

Comment

• walter
        • May 2001
        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Slikk
        With the owned license you are allowed to use vBulletin for life time, with the leased license the fee is per year. The owned license is suitable if you have long term plans. With the owned license, if you want to be able to download newer versions you will have to pay a small yearly fee, but that is only for the right to download newer versions.

Most hacks are free, see www.vbulletin.org - there are plenty available.

Everytime I had a problem I got help - but I needed help only a few times as the software hasn't many bugs.

Every shared account is suitable if it offers PHP and mySQL. If you want your own server, most Linux servers come with Apache, PHP and mySQL preinstalled...
        More than 10 years experience in building communities!
        Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

• walter
          • May 2001
          • 3.8.x

And as you see with both our posts (same time ) the user based support is also pretty good
          More than 10 years experience in building communities!
          Consulting for migration, import, newsletter delivery, stats, adserver, choosing the right software.

Comment

• Slikk
            • Jul 2002

Thanks a lot guys and I really appreciate the quick and convincing responses. I think I am a soon to be vBulletin members, because in a couple weeks, I will be purchasing vBulletin 3.0.0 Gold and I just found a neat webhost, thanks.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...