X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poolking
    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Raz Meister
    Qteam does have a point.

DDOS's CAN be defeated. Jelfsoft is not the first company to be DDOS'ed. It just seems (to me anyway) that Jelsoft are hoping the guy will just stop, instead of finding a long term solution.
    Have you read the previous posts about Jelsoft trying to find a permanent solution to this problem? I doubt they are hoping that the guy will stop.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Raz Meister
      Qteam does have a point.

DDOS's CAN be defeated. Jelfsoft is not the first company to be DDOS'ed. It just seems (to me anyway) that Jelsoft are hoping the guy will just stop, instead of finding a long term solution.
      Actually this isn't true... We are working on long-term solutions. However they take time and resources to implement not every company has million dollar IT budgets.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wential
        Agreed Raz. I run several websites on IIS 6 and it might slow down during a DDOS attack but I never go offline. Hey Jelsoft, if you're using Apache dump it already. It's time to grow up and use adult web servers!
        We have similar solutions installed under Apache... However those solutions do no good when the problem is at the router level. Not a single upline router but a 250 Megabyte Per Second Line provided by a level 1 provider.

When the attacks happen the data requests don't even make it to the server for the software to kick in.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Scott MacVicar
          Former vBulletin Developer
          • Dec 2000

Just thought I'd say that when we are under attack we can no longer make a connection straight to the servers ourself.

We have to tunnel through another machine on the VO network.

We are looking for a more permanent solution and I suspect an email shall be sent on Monday to customers regarding the outage.
          Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

• Raz Meister
            • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
            However those solutions do no good when the problem is at the router level. Not a single upline router but a 250 Megabyte Per Second Line provided by a level 1 provider.

When the attacks happen the data requests don't even make it to the server for the software to kick in.
            There is a simple solution to this, and I pretty sure you are aware of this. You need multiple uplinks, or multiple distrubuted servers with seperate connections.
            Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

And my previous post to that one stated that things take time, energy and money to put into place...

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Raz Meister
                • Jun 2001

So you ARE looking into it?

Well that is some good news I guess.
                Raz - KMC Forums

Comment

• Steve Machol
                  Former Customer Support Manager
                  • Jul 2000

Yes, of course we are looking into other solutions. We like this situation even less than you do.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...