Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sengir
    • Aug 2002

vBulletin vs..

I started up a conversation at Anandtech Forums about them switching to vBulletin.

here

I was asked "Sengir, what are some examples of forums with the traffic that AnandTech forums have? 2500-4000 simultaneous users, 6 million messages. I'd like to see them"

I thought when I posted that I had been in a forum the size of Anandtech.. But I haven't. (Will come clean on that soon..) I was wondering if anybody knew of a forum that size using vBulletin and how well it performed??

I prefer the use of vB by far over Anandtech's current forum.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sengir; Mon 20 Jan '03, 12:34am.
  • Michael2
    • Oct 2001
    • 3.8.x

I don't know of any off the top of my head but look through this thread, you'll probably find several...

HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
    Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
    iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
    VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

• Sengir
      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Michael2
      I don't know of any off the top of my head but look through this thread, you'll probably find several...

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=47430
      Thanks! I'll look.. I figure it will be hard heh..

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Hmmmm... Personally, I have never seen more than 600 people at Anandtech in the three years I have been visiting the site at any given time.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• tubedogg
          • Feb 2001

If the claims stated are true, MySQL cannot handle that many simultaneous connections, at least not off the shelf. vBulletin is built to scale but can only go as far as MySQL is able to.

Comment

• Sengir
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by tubedogg
            If the claims stated are true, MySQL cannot handle that many simultaneous connections, at least not off the shelf. vBulletin is built to scale but can only go as far as MySQL is able to.
            Hmm I take it vBulletin can't use a different backend database..

Comment

Originally posted by Sengir
              Hmm I take it vBulletin can't use a different backend database..
              It can. forums have custimized the scripts to use sybase before.

Support for other DB's are planned after v3 is released.

Comment

• XTJ7
                • Jul 2002

vBulletin CAN handle different Backend Systems
                Did you see the MySQL Database class?
                Its just the case, that there is no other Database System than MySQL available yet.
                And I think MySQL 4 IS able to handle that much connections. Well, tell me if not, but I guess it is

Comment

• Chen
                  • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                  Hmmmm... Personally, I have never seen more than 600 people at Anandtech in the three years I have been visiting the site at any given time.
                  Ditto. Of course, who knows... it's not like FuseTalk tracks this information.
                  Chen Avinadav
                  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• XTJ7
                    • Jul 2002

FuseTalk don't tracks the busiest day, but it tracks the count of the current online users. But I guess vB is much better
                    (BTW: FuseTalk looks... awful )
                    Well, I dunno the Administrative Site of the Script, but maybe there are some stats.

Comment

• Sengir
                      • Aug 2002

Originally posted by XTJ7
                      FuseTalk don't tracks the busiest day, but it tracks the count of the current online users. But I guess vB is much better
                      (BTW: FuseTalk looks... awful )
                      Well, I dunno the Administrative Site of the Script, but maybe there are some stats.
                      That's what I'm saying (Anandtech forums looks aweful) & isn't as easy to navigate..

Comment

• soulviv3r.php
                        • Dec 2002

okay everyone go register here and

reply to this thread

*LOL

and thats it

heh

Comment

• sparky2
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by tubedogg
                          Can you estimate what the top-end would be, in terms of scalability.
                          Our forum usage has been spiking near 600 concurrent users lately, and the server is BARELY handling it.

Comment

• Freddie Bingham
                            Former vBulletin Developer
                            • May 2000
                            • 1.1.x

If you wish to scale higher, you need to move to two servers, one for mysql and one for the webserver.

Comment

• George L
                              Former vBulletin Support
                              • May 2000
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Sengir
                              I started up a conversation at Anandtech Forums about them switching to vBulletin.

here

I was asked "Sengir, what are some examples of forums with the traffic that AnandTech forums have? 2500-4000 simultaneous users, 6 million messages. I'd like to see them"

I thought when I posted that I had been in a forum the size of Anandtech.. But I haven't. (Will come clean on that soon..) I was wondering if anybody knew of a forum that size using vBulletin and how well it performed??

I prefer the use of vB by far over Anandtech's current forum.

Thanks.
                              a few days ago i handled a support ticket for a vB client who has 2 separate vB forums with 1500-5000+ users online simultaneously and needed help with some mysql tuning on 1 of the servers, the other handles the load fine

both his servers are Quad 2.8ghz Xeons with 8 or 16GB memory

of course Anandtech uses several load balanced web servers and dedicated database servers

most large vBs will need more than 1 server
                              :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
                              :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
                              :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...