X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Foxx
    • Jul 2002

2 Major Adjustments needed...

Hi there,

I have 2 major suggestion that I think NEED to be implemented in the next version of vB!

First of all, an extra option in the admin cp that allows the insertion of Language Packs (not just the German one, all major languages), make it so that it is style independent for the standard things.

Of course styles have their own texts as well, but they can be altered manually!

I've tried translating vB myself, but it's just too much work and when installing a different style, you lose most of your work!!

The second thing is to make sure that you can use the SMTP function as well instead of the normal mail() function. Some hosts don't support the mail function, and require you to turn it off or to use a custom function, if you'd just add a section to the admin cp where people can enter the SMTP settings, it would make it a lot easier!!!

I really want to see these 2 improvements in the next version, cause they can save me LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of time.... I hate spending HOURS AND HOURS, just setting up my board!!!

Anyways, just my two cents...

FoxxFury
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

1. The creation and uploading of Language packs will be part of vB3.

2. I'm not sure about this one. I know the mail functions have been vastly improved in vB3 but I'm not sure if it includes what you're asking for. Honestly I haven't heard of many (or any for that matter) hosts that have turned off PHP's mail() function.

P.S. Since this is your first post on the forums - Welcome! Be sure to register for Priority Forums Support so you can post in the vB support forums. The link is in my sig. Thanks!
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Foxx
      • Jul 2002

For instance, phpBB supports what I mean under '2'. It has an option in the admin cp that allows you to override the standard mail function and lets you enter the SMTP server settings (host, login, pass etc)

Hope it 'll be in vB3 as well.... anyways, do you have an estimated date when vB3 will come out??

FxF

Comment

• Steve Machol
        • Jul 2000

No estimates at this time.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Actually both features can be easily handled in VB3. VB3 has centralized mail routines so you can implement customizations if needed by your server.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• RonsShadow
            • Jul 2001
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by smachol
            No estimates at this time.
            No estimate at all? It's been months (and months and months) and some of us are holding up on any major redesign efforts until vB3. Any estimate at all would be encouraging.

<<<devoted vB fanatic>>>

Comment

• Steve Machol
              • Jul 2000

Let me put it this way - I leave any public posting of the estimated release for vB3 to the people who are actually writing it!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• RonsShadow
                • Jul 2001
                • 3.8.x

Well you can't blame a man for trying.

Comment

• Floris
                  • Dec 2001

Originally posted by wluke
                  Actually both features can be easily handled in VB3. VB3 has centralized mail routines so you can implement customizations if needed by your server.
                  This is very nice news to hear, allthough I am very happy with the mail(); function as it is.

I am also happy to hear that it will be possible to use vB3 much more easy to integrate language packs of some kind so we can let users enjoy the forum in their language all over the world (and since vB3 will be da bomb, I just assume it can be selected by them as easy as a different style, and independend of a style/theme)

Comment

• Steve Machol
                    • Jul 2000

Originally posted by xiphoid
                    I just assume it can be selected by them as easy as a different style, and independend of a style/theme)
                    Yep!

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

• Foxx
                      • Jul 2002

So just to get this clear, let's say your host doesn't support the mail() function, but you do want to use email on your forum, it is possible to enter the address/login/pass for an SMTP server instead?? Or how should I see this adjustment?? Any comment is welcome...

I've also seen a host (it was a free one...), that didn't support the mail() function, you had to replace it with their own function in all PHP scripts, lots of work, but I guess it's easier to pay for a host, since you're already paying for vBulletin, you might as well pay for a host as well....

Anyways, give me your thoughts on this one...

FxF

Comment

• Floris
                        • Dec 2001

For some reasons I just do not trust free hosting.

Comment

• Chen
                          • Jun 2001

There is now a centralized mailing function (vbmail), so if you need to replace the call to mail() with openning an SMTP socket or calling whatever other function, you only need to do it once.
                          Chen Avinadav
                          Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...