Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimava
    • Jul 2001

After 1 year..

If i have a 1-year licence and then I want to get the non expiring licence, can I just pay the diffrence or do I have to pay $160

(i already have 2 non permenant licences, but i'm just wondering)

-Dimava
    NXSupport Admin
  • MUG
    • Apr 2002

If you upgrade within 30 days, you pay $85 extra. After 30 days, its $160.

Comment

• Dimava
      • Jul 2001

thats what I thought too, but:

Originally posted by smachol
      you will need to stop running your forums after one year unless you renew the license or convert to the owned one.
      so i'm a bit confused

-Dimava
      NXSupport Admin

Comment

• nuno
        • Apr 2001
        • 3.8.x

Seems pretty clear to me.
        You're my Prince of Peace
        And I will live my life for You

Comment

• Dimava
          • Jul 2001

so what does "or convert to the owned one"
          NXSupport Admin

Comment

• JamesUS
            • Aug 2000

Convert simply means pay the full $160 to 'upgrade' your existing license to an owned one. I agree that it needs some clarification.

Comment

• Cary
              • Apr 2002
              • 3.6.x

But, wouldn't the smarter thing to do, after 30 days, instead of converting you buy a new owned license?

It's the same price, plus you get to get your leased license until it expires

Comment

• tubedogg
                • Feb 2001

A lot of people seem confused by the leased license, or can't understand why it is not cheaper to upgrade to an owned license at the end of the year. The leased license is like borrowing a vBulletin license. You are renting it for a year. The reason there's no deal on going to an owned license is simple - your leased license is no longer worth anything at the end of the year, and you have to buy another license, either leased or owned, to even continue running vBulletin. In essence there is no difference between the cost of a full owned license and the cost to "upgrade" at the end of the year - your leased license is worth $0, and $160-$0 is $160.

Does that make more sense?

Comment

• tubedogg
                  • Feb 2001

Originally posted by Cary
                  But, wouldn't the smarter thing to do, after 30 days, instead of converting you buy a new owned license?
                  There is no way to convert to an owned license. After 30 days to get an owned license you simply purchase one. If you already have a leased license it is still valid for the year no matter what else you purchase after it or when you do so.

Comment

• Dimava
                    • Jul 2001

ok got it
                    NXSupport Admin

Comment

• camoboy
                      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by tubedogg
                      A lot of people seem confused by the leased license, or can't understand why it is not cheaper to upgrade to an owned license at the end of the year. The leased license is like borrowing a vBulletin license. You are renting it for a year. The reason there's no deal on going to an owned license is simple - your leased license is no longer worth anything at the end of the year, and you have to buy another license, either leased or owned, to even continue running vBulletin. In essence there is no difference between the cost of a full owned license and the cost to "upgrade" at the end of the year - your leased license is worth $0, and $160-$0 is $160.

Does that make more sense?
                      I think that's pretty mean...it may be worth $0 at the end of the year but as a goodwill gesture and to attempt to keep more customers I think you should at least consider some kind of incentive to leased-licence holders, such as a discount on an owned licence for future years.

Let's be honest, you're already charging $160 for something when there are pleanty around for $0 and your customer service leaves a lot to be desired by the looks of it.

Comment

• tubedogg
                        • Feb 2001

I'm sorry you feel the customer service is lacking. I notice however that you don't own a license, so I assume that you have never used it? Assuming that's the case, why would you say something like that, when you don't know for yourself whether that's the case or not? It is very hurtful to those of us who spend hours upon hours each day helping customers to have a non-customer who has no idea of the situation come in and say something like that.

No one is forcing you to use vB. You can use any one of the free alternatives. However when the next free one goes away, or you decide that they simply don't provide all the features that vB does, feel free to come back and go with the best.

Comment

• camoboy
                          • Feb 2002

It doesn't matter to me because as you rightly point out I do not own a licence. However, I was a co-admin for a vB site so I had access to the members area and so forth.

It was just a general observation on some of the responses I have seen over the months from some of the staff on these forums. I'm not saying you in particular, just the overall impression I get is that the customers are viewed as an inconvenience, a necessary evil if you will because of the patronising undertone in some of the posts.

I apologise for casting aspersions as that may indeed be what I'm doing, it's just the impression I have gathered watching from the sidelines. And as a potential customer I'm sure you'll agree that's not a good impression to have given me.

I still think it would make good business sense to offer a discount on an owned licence to leased-licensed users. You say in essence it isn't worth anything; I think it is worth something. It's worth the loyalty that customer has shown to you. When they could have gone elsewhere and paid nothing, they came to you. I think that's worth 20 bucks off an owned licence. But, that's up to you of course

Comment

• N9ne
                            • Mar 2002
                            • 3.5.0 Beta

Actually the customer support here is outstanding because you always get a reply within 20 minutes MAX, normally in 2 minutes! They don't give up until the matter is solved either, they spend endless hours helping us and that's what you give back to them

Comment

• camoboy
                              • Feb 2002

Well, I am now a customer so we shall soon find out...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...