X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DirectPixel
    • Jan 2002
    • 3.5.x

Originally posted by LanciaStratos
    But, I would be prejudiced against them...they stole what I paid for! What's wrong with that?
    That's assuming that they're using pirated copies of vBulletin.

What if it was just a regular person, that didn't own a vBulletin, and doesn't have a warez copy? Not all unlicensed users are running warez.
    :)

Comment

• nuno
      • Apr 2001
      • 3.8.x

What about leased licenses?
      I mean, when license expires, is member status Licensed or Non Licensed?
      You're my Prince of Peace
      And I will live my life for You

Comment

• DirectPixel
        • Jan 2002
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by nuno
        What about leased licenses?
        I mean, when license expires, is member status Licensed or Non Licensed?
        Licensed... I think...

Because they still have access to member's area, and everything... just can't download.

Comment

• nuno
          • Apr 2001
          • 3.8.x

If they can't run the software after expiration date, there's no need to ask for support don't you think?
          Therefore, status should be Awaiting renewal

Comment

• JamesUS
            • Aug 2000

Just leave us to worry about what users show up as when the license expires

That information is private and will remain private as it would be an abuse of users' privacy if everyone knew who was and wasn't licensed.

Comment

• nuno
              • Apr 2001
              • 3.8.x

By knowing forum permissions we know who is licensed and who is not

Comment

• JamesUS
                • Aug 2000

You do Anyone who posts in the vBulletin 2 category (except for the pre sales forum) can be assumed to be licensed.

Comment

• nuno
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.8.x

Bingo Thank you for letting us know James

Comment

• MyMatchmakerCom

To further diminish piracy...

Lower the price down to earth. That way the forum would sell in huge volume.

The idea that if the price were lowered "the team could not get paid" is STUPID plain and simple.

Everyone who sells on high volume make more money. It is not like there is OVERHEAD involved in selling each copy. It is NOT A TANGEABLE PRODUCT.

So lower the damn price. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE!
                    PHPBB is FREE and just as good, so the more people find out about it the fewer people will want this one.

Personally, I own several copied of vBB and am comfortable with it. BUT, if it comes between payin $199, vs. FREE I go with free.

BUT, if the price was REASONABLE, I'd buy a few more licences for the next few sites I am launching. But to pay more than $40 bucks for a forum like this is simply stupid.

Like it or not, team, this is the new reality, and if you don't face up to change and adapt, you will loose your clients, like myself.

I know over a dozen popular websites who have dumped vBB even after paying for it, simply because the price to get new licences is ridiculously high. YOU ARE NOT SELLING A OPERATING SYSTEM, NOT A SERVER SOFTWARE. It is just a discussion forum.

You do NOT have millions of dollars invested in R&D, so your sky high price cannot be justified.
                    Last edited by Guest; Sat 22 Jun '02, 2:44pm.

Comment

• nuno
                      • Apr 2001
                      • 3.8.x

$160 - 1 own license - is it too much to ask for?
                      Plus $30 for upgrading?
                      If you can't afford that, how will you be able to afford your next few sites?
                      If you don't like it, then go with phpBB or whatever and stop bothering us with your problems
                      You are buying the software plus support, things you won't find in any free BB

Comment

• Kaizen
                        • Aug 2001

To the vbulletin staff:

Do something about this plonker spamming your forum. This is getting silly. Your customers come here to see the forum software in action. I think they (I would) will be slightly put off if all they can see is this wally and his closed threads repeating the same thing.

He has already been told here: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...threadid=48800 and yet he posts again.
                        Email: [email protected]
                        Site: Under Construction

Comment

• DirectPixel
                          • Jan 2002
                          • 3.5.x

Re: To further diminish piracy...

Originally posted by MyMatchmakerCom

The idea that if the price were lowered "the team could not get paid" is STUPID plain and simple.

Everyone who sells on high volume make more money. It is not like there is OVERHEAD involved in selling each copy. It is NOT A TANGEABLE PRODUCT.

So lower the damn price. IT IS TOO EXPENSIVE!
                          PHPBB is FREE and just as good, so the more people find out about it the fewer people will want this one.

Personally, I own several copied of vBB and am comfortable with it. BUT, if it comes between payin $199, vs. FREE I go with free.

BUT, if the price was REASONABLE, I'd buy a few more licences for the next few sites I am launching. But to pay more than $40 bucks for a forum like this is simply stupid.

Like it or not, team, this is the new reality, and if you don't face up to change and adapt, you will loose your clients, like myself.

I know over a dozen popular websites who have dumped vBB even after paying for it, simply because the price to get new licences is ridiculously high. YOU ARE NOT SELLING A OPERATING SYSTEM, NOT A SERVER SOFTWARE. It is just a discussion forum.

You do NOT have millions of dollars invested in R&D, so your sky high price cannot be justified.
                          Just because it's intangible doesn't mean that it has to be $20.

What you're doing is writing, rather unpolitely, may I add, to get a company to change its pricing.

Would you do this to a company like Microsoft? They're charging upwards of $1500 for an intangible product. Does that mean they're overcharging? No.

Also, they're selling their operating system for about $100 more than their Linux competitors. Are they overcharging? Would you write a letter like this to them because you believe that they're price is higher than the free price of their competitors?

Chances are, you won't, so quit complaining. If you want to go with the free option, then go ahead. I can guarantee you that you won't have as much features and flexibility as with vBulletin, but to each is own.

Nobody is forcing you to buy this product. If you don't want to, then don't, but quit acting like a baby and quit posting these useless posts.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

Re: To further diminish piracy...

Originally posted by MyMatchmakerCom
                            I seriously doubt the increase in volume would make up for the lost revenue. Nonetheless this has nothing to do with the topic on hand and you have already been told:

"...this has already been discussed and vBulletin's price will NOT be lowered. Period. We are cheaper than all of our competitors (and no, free boards are not our competiors) and we feel we provide good value for money. If our price was lowered, the team wouldn't be paid. And if the team wasn't paid you wouldn't see another version of vBulletin.

If you don't like paying $85/$160 for vBulletin, then don't. No-one is forcing you."

Please do not continue posting this over and over again. Thank you.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Andy Z
                              • Nov 2001

Not to overdo it but,
                              Jelsoft competes with companies like InfoPop and other companies with forum packages that can cost US$10,000+ per month. Your opinion is that the free boards are the same in feel & features as vB. If you really believe in that go use phpBB, and don't ask Jelsoft to lower vB's price. When you do ask(/demand/shout), you are admitting that vB is a superior product. You may not believe but the vB Team and Developers need to some compensation. It's not like this is a weekend hobby for them.

I'm sorry if you disagree, I'm sorry if you think I'm mean, but those are your opinions.
                              NOTE: Some comments above are my own opinions, some are what Jelsoft has stated (e.g. their target market) and some is fact.

You may now disagree with me.
                              - AJ Zmudosky

Comment

• Steve Machol
                                Former Customer Support Manager
                                • Jul 2000

This seems like a good time to close this thread befores it continues spinning wildly out of control.
                                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...