Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dimava
    • Jul 2001

renewal

if i renew my licence, does that mean that I have to aggree to the new licence agreement

just wondering
    NXSupport Admin
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Of course it does.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• tubedogg
      • Feb 2001

"new" license agreement? The license agreement hasn't changed in a good while as far as I know and by running vBulletin at all you are bound under the license agreement that is up right now.

Comment

• Fusion
        • Aug 2001
        • 3.8.x

Yep, that's how I understand it also. Even if you initially bought the licence (and it's "old" now, let's say, for v1.x), continuing to run the software implies you agree to whatever license agreement is the current one. If you don't agree with the license, you need to stop using the software. Period.
        Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Dimava
          • Jul 2001

ok i just thought that you had to follow the licence of which was when you signed up, i dont want to start a big discussion on this, so mods can close this thread if they want

-Dimava
          NXSupport Admin

Comment

• Fusion
            • Aug 2001
            • 3.8.x

Granted, I've only had a brief look at the v1.x license, and that was a while ago, but I don't think the wording used in that text is all that different from what's in use now. The main points have always been present.

As for renewals, that only applies if
            • you lease the software and the lease is up. Then you have the option of getting another lease at the reduced price, or an owned license at the full price.
            • you already own the license, but want continued access to downloads after the first year.
            I know, you probably knew this already, right?
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Chen
              • Jun 2001

The "When I became a customer..." issue really doesn't matter. Every time you download the vBulletin zip file you agree to the License Agreement, so even if you initially bought vB1 and then upgraded to vB2 later - you still agreed to the license agreement when downloading version 2.

But like Kevin said, the license agreement hasn't changed in a long while.
              Chen Avinadav
              Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

גם אני מאוכזב מסיקור תחרות לתור מוטור של NRG הרשת ע"י מעריב

Comment

• Dimava
                • Jul 2001

ok thanks FireFly I was just wondering
                NXSupport Admin

Comment

• Myriad
                  • Apr 2001

I think its best that you consult with your legal advisors or whomever you wish that deals in those areas. However--being a law student--you are only bound to the license agreement posted when you had downloaded vBulletin. That means, if you had downloaded vBulletin v. 1.13, you are liable for the license agreement posted during that time.

I have checked the License Agreement for vBulletin v. 2.2.5 (on April 28, 2002, 7:06 PST)--and the license does not hold you responsible for future changes to it. Unless Jelsoft (or its subsidiaries, parent corporations, etc.) adds a clause enabling them to sever or amend portions to the License Agreement, you are not held accountable for ensuring that you are in compliance with the changes in agreement.

My two cents.
                  Last edited by Myriad; Wed 1 May '02, 6:42pm.

Comment

• Fusion
                    • Aug 2001
                    • 3.8.x

Myriad, as FireFly pointed out, by downloading (and running) new versions of the software, you accept the current license-agreement. It says so in the text.
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Steve Machol
                      Former Customer Support Manager
                      • Jul 2000

I don't think Myriad is disagreeing with this.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Myriad
                        • Apr 2001

Fusion, [S]machol is right. I am in accord with you. Please scrutinize this quote:
                        [Y]ou are only bound to the license agreement posted when you had downloaded vBulletin. That means, if you had downloaded vBulletin v. 1.13, you are liable for the license agreement posted during that time.
                        The user convenants his or her right to run the software on the basis of the terms outlined. However, the agreement does not hold you responsible for changes to it if you are using the same version under the older agreement. You are only responsible for changes to the agreement if you were to download a newer version if the license agreement has changed in a way that (a) you are to execute changes severed or amended at any time to the agreement, or (b) obligations by court ruling, judgment, or order. When you download a newer version of vBulletin, you are to disregard the older agreement and expected to follow the newer agreement.

I hope I have articulated myself to you, Fusion.

Comment

• Fusion
                          • Aug 2001
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Myriad
                          I hope I have articulated myself to you, Fusion.
                          Yes, my bad.
                          Toddler from Hell

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...