Speed at which new messages is updated - must reload browser?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maltair
    • Feb 2009

Speed at which new messages is updated - must reload browser?

It seems like one must refresh the browser in order to view the red notification of new messages.

With Xenforo it seems like the update happens without the need to reload the page.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Messages or Notifications?

When vBMessenger is enabled, Messages are polled every 10 seconds and should update automatically. If you have an active Messenger window open, it polls faster as long as there is activity in the window. After five minutes of inactivity, it turns off the polling for that window.

Notifications are updated on Page load. These are things like replies and new topics in your subscriptions. They aren't as important as messages.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Maltair
      • Feb 2009

What I mean is, if I am logged into my forum, and then walk away from browser, seems like I must refresh the browser in order to see any notifications of messages that have been sent in the interim. To become aware that there are any messages.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Yes. That is how the system has always worked and is inline with what I said above.

You can adjust the polling for vB Messenger in the AdminCP under Settings -> Options -> Private Message and vB Messenger. If you do not use vB Messenger, there is no polling and you will need to refresh to see new private messages. There is no polling for notifications..
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment