X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chriske
    • Oct 2008

Question about Badger and Backlog

I qoute this from Wayne Luke's post:
    Badger is a list of issues that Support think affects customers more than their priority level implies. It is looked at first to determine what is going into the next version.

Backlog are things that should get fixed and is also looked at when determining the next version.

Future Release is future. One day they will be gotten to. If you vote on the issues you want, then they can be escalated into one of the above lists or directly into a build. Just needs enough votes to show in the popular issues list and available developer time.

Shrew is a holding bin for responsive related issues. Work on them is worked in as needed.

Stout is programming issues that are detected but shouldn't cause issues on properly configured production servers.
    Question 1: When issue's are in the Backlog and Badger categories. Does it matter if they are voted on to have them fixed sooner?
    Or is this only applicable to the Future Release issues?

Question 2: What issues have more priority, the ones in Badger of in Backlog?
    Or do these have the same priority?

The reason I want to know this is because there are 2 issues that are enormously important for my forum, and I want to be able to estimate if this will happen in de recent future.

1. We need a "Can See Photos" permission to stop users from viewing images added via the Photos tab
    2. Use the lightbox for displaying images that are attached to any post (currently the lightbox is only used for images in a *gallery* type post)

Please vote for these issues if you think there important to (and if it matters).
    Please vote for:
    - Lightbox for all uploads
    - Attachment permissions for unregistered users
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by chriske
    Question 1: When issue's are in the Backlog and Badger categories. Does it matter if they are voted on to have them fixed sooner?
    Yes, it matters, votes is one of many factors taken into account when looking at any issue.

Originally posted by chriske
    Question 2: What issues have more priority, the ones in Badger of in Backlog?
    In general, Badger would probably be looked at before the Backlog, but its not as simple as that.
    For example, an easy [quick] fix in the backlog will have more chance than a complex fix in Badger, there are no hard and fast rules.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Both of these are currently labeled as Requests. One is an improvement to existing functionality. The other is listed as a new feature. These types of issues rely on votes more than bugs do.

I created a new bug for something is related to VBV-14636. It is at VBV-17009
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• chriske
        • Oct 2008

Thanks Paul and Wayne for clarifying this.

I think I found an other issue with attachments, i am curious if this is considered as a bug or feature request, could not find it in the tracker so if it don't exist I will add it.

When uploading a attachment with vb5. And setting the attachment permission for unregistered users: Can Download Image Attachments: No.
        When viewing a topic as a guest: You see the attachment link and when clicking the link a blank page shows. (This is a bug that will be fixed in 2.5.6 which is awesome!: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-13367)

I upgraded from VB4 to VB5. Al the attachments that were uploaded before the upgrade.show as links (Like the attachments uploaded with vb5). When clicking the link as a guest not a blank page shows but you see the attachment! This is a problem for my forum because of privacy reasons. People uploaded there attachments knowing these are not visible to guests.

this is a bug right? And is this already in JIRA?

Please vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          • Aug 2000

There are a lot of things about attachments in JIRA. Please enter your request. If it is a duplicate, the QA people will close it and link it to the original.

Here are all the current attachment issues: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...DESC&mode=hide

Wayne Luke
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• chriske
            • Oct 2008

I also see issues under the name: Ermine in the tracker.
            What does this mean?

I am hoping these have a high priority primarily because of this one:

Use the lightbox for displaying images that are attached to any post (currently the lightbox is only used for images in a *gallery* type post)

Looks like these issues are all image / attachment related. Can someone explain why they are grouped together in Ermine?

Please vote for:

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
              vBulletin Support
              • Aug 2002
              • 5.7.X

A lot of the time, but not all the time, if there's a number of Bugs all relating to the same area of functionality, they may be packaged together under a project name so that they can be addressed as a group. This shouldn't be taken as confirmation that these are about to be picked up and addressed as this may simply be to allow someone to invistigate effort required and strenght of customer feeling (i.e. votes) over these issues.
              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• chriske
                • Oct 2008

Thanks for clarifying!
                Please vote for:

Comment

• chriske
                  • Oct 2008

I see there is not a folder "Dev Queue". Can you tell me more about it?
                  Please vote for:

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

The "Dev Queue" holds the issues that are next for the developers to work on. It used to be called "BRB 5.4.0" and then "BRB 5.4.1." When the bug review board comes across an issue that should be fixed as soon as possible, it goes into there. However, the queue fluctuates weekly as the BRB meets on Mondays and Wednesdays currently. So the developers won't get to everything in it because higher priority issues and regressions can happen. To better reflect its purpose, we renamed it "Dev Queue". That way it doesn't need to be renamed every time a version is released.

So there will be one or two versions with "Sprint" in their name. That is what they are working on this two-week sprint. Next sprint, they will pull a number of issues from the 'Dev Queue' to work on. Usually around 20-30 issues per sprint. Though sometimes it is higher.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• chriske
                      chriske commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the explanation!