• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara

I noticed that you commented out some lines in my original code. That means all unread posts in all channels will be unread whenever you click the link while on any page. That code was originally intended to work in Search pages only. But what if you are in a Forum channel page? Shouldn't the Mark Channels Read link make all posts unread under that forum channel only? I'm thinking of updating the code that will make all posts unread in the appropriate channel (if exists), otherwise in the root channel.
    What happened there was, I kept getting requests for it to (a) work on every page and (b) mark everything read regardless of page. In my experience, that's what most people think it is....a button to mark *everything* read, regardless of the page it appears on. So I tweaked the code to make it do exactly that. That's how it used to work on vB3 / vB4 so it seemed to be the 'expected behaviour'.

Obviously it can be amended to make more specific mark read buttons.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• glennrocksvb
      glennrocksvb commented
      Editing a comment
      I see. It should be renamed "Mark All Posts Read" or something similar then to avoid confusion.
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

That is, in fact, how I expected it to work as well.

In vb3/4, if you want to just mark the single forum as read, there was another link elsewhere to do that, the one in the nav always does them all.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

On sites I've done it for, I've renamed it 'Mark Forums Read'. I know it technically does more than just forums, but the average user has no idea what a 'Channel' is.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

"Mark All Posts Read" sounds more clear and appropriate. And it applies not just to forums.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

Its absence was driving me crazy.

I dont have time to look at new code atm, so I've just added the "Mark Channels Read" option, which replicates what the link at the bottom of the page does.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• In Omnibus
            • Apr 2010

This has been added back to vBulletin.com It should really be added back to the download package.

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

It was taken off the navbar because it didn't work on every page.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------

Comment

• In Omnibus
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Mark.B
                It was taken off the navbar because it didn't work on every page.
                If it works on the index page that's good enough for most people. I have a site where all of the forums are hidden on tabs, so the only other option is to go into every tab individually and scroll to the bottom of the page to click "Mark Read." That's a ridiculous solution.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Not sure why it was added back to the Navigation Bar here. It doesn't work in the Navigation Bar and that is why it was removed in the first place.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by In Omnibus

If it works on the index page that's good enough for most people. I have a site where all of the forums are hidden on tabs, so the only other option is to go into every tab individually and scroll to the bottom of the page to click "Mark Read." That's a ridiculous solution.
                    There is a Mark Channels Read link at the bottom of the main forum listing page. You can see it on vBulletin.com/forum. This is the exact same place it existed in vBulletin 2, 3, and 4. If you hid this, you would have to come up with a new solution.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

This article will allow self-hosted customers to add it back to the navbar:

Not for Cloud though I'm afraid.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------

Comment

• glennrocksvb
                        Former vBulletin Developer
                        • Mar 2011
                        • 5.7.X

This article will allow self-hosted customers to add it back to the navbar:

Not for Cloud though I'm afraid.
                        A workaround for vBCloud is ro add the JS code to the Google Analytics setting in AdminCP.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Milforum
                          • Apr 2015
                          • 6.X

Code does work. I'm using it on www.talknewsuk.com. The Mark Channels Read link in the sub-navbar works on every page.
                          Old thread, but this is what I found. I added the code in the navigation bar, and it works for my site. Thanks.

Comment

• alfred0809
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2020

This has been added back to vBulletin.com It should really be added back to the download package.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by alfred0809
                              The forums here do not have a "Mark Channel Read" link in the sub-navigation bar within the header of the site.
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-06-10_09-23-13.png Views:	2 Size:	54.0 KB ID:	4442271

The link was removed because it didn't work. It did not have access to the proper variables for the JavaScript to know what channel to mark read. When it did work, it would break because people edited the text of the link. Instead, we have added a "Mark Channels Read" link towards the footer of the page (just like older versions of vBulletin) that is in a position where it does have access to the correct variables and is phrased based so it doesn't break on editing.

This change has been in place for quite a few years now and I don't foresee it changing back in the immediate future. As such, I am going to close this topic.

If you feel an additional link is necessary then you can create a feature request for it. If we can add it without forcing a page load, then we will consider it.

Wayne Luke
                              vBulletin 5 API

Comment