"Mark Channels Read" Is Missing From The Sub-Navbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara View Post

I noticed that you commented out some lines in my original code. That means all unread posts in all channels will be unread whenever you click the link while on any page. That code was originally intended to work in Search pages only. But what if you are in a Forum channel page? Shouldn't the Mark Channels Read link make all posts unread under that forum channel only? I'm thinking of updating the code that will make all posts unread in the appropriate channel (if exists), otherwise in the root channel.
    What happened there was, I kept getting requests for it to (a) work on every page and (b) mark everything read regardless of page. In my experience, that's what most people think it is....a button to mark *everything* read, regardless of the page it appears on. So I tweaked the code to make it do exactly that. That's how it used to work on vB3 / vB4 so it seemed to be the 'expected behaviour'.

Obviously it can be amended to make more specific mark read buttons.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.4.2 Demo - FEATURING "ROUTE BY NODE"!
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• Glenn Vergara
      Glenn Vergara commented
      Editing a comment
      I see. It should be renamed "Mark All Posts Read" or something similar then to avoid confusion.

That is, in fact, how I expected it to work as well.

In vb3/4, if you want to just mark the single forum as read, there was another link elsewhere to do that, the one in the nav always does them all.
    Baby, I was born this way

Comment

On sites I've done it for, I've renamed it 'Mark Forums Read'. I know it technically does more than just forums, but the average user has no idea what a 'Channel' is.

Comment

"Mark All Posts Read" sounds more clear and appropriate. And it applies not just to forums.

AutoLinker-vB5+vBCloud | NavMenu Dropdown-vB5+vBCloud | TimedSticky | Video Attachments Player | Blur Replies for Guests | Drag/Drop Upload | Topic Starter Ribbon | Topic AJAX Auto-Update

Comment

Its absence was driving me crazy.

I dont have time to look at new code atm, so I've just added the "Mark Channels Read" option, which replicates what the link at the bottom of the page does.

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

This has been added back to vBulletin.com It should really be added back to the download package.

Comment

It was taken off the navbar because it didn't work on every page.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                It was taken off the navbar because it didn't work on every page.
                If it works on the index page that's good enough for most people. I have a site where all of the forums are hidden on tabs, so the only other option is to go into every tab individually and scroll to the bottom of the page to click "Mark Read." That's a ridiculous solution.

Comment

Not sure why it was added back to the Navigation Bar here. It doesn't work in the Navigation Bar and that is why it was removed in the first place.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                  vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                  I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by In Omnibus View Post

If it works on the index page that's good enough for most people. I have a site where all of the forums are hidden on tabs, so the only other option is to go into every tab individually and scroll to the bottom of the page to click "Mark Read." That's a ridiculous solution.
                    There is a Mark Channels Read link at the bottom of the main forum listing page. You can see it on vBulletin.com/forum. This is the exact same place it existed in vBulletin 2, 3, and 4. If you hid this, you would have to come up with a new solution.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

This article will allow self-hosted customers to add it back to the navbar:
                      https://www.adminammo.com/articles/v...-channels-read
                      Not for Cloud though I'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                        This article will allow self-hosted customers to add it back to the navbar:
                        https://www.adminammo.com/articles/v...-channels-read
                        Not for Cloud though I'm afraid.
                        A workaround for vBCloud is ro add the JS code to the Google Analytics setting in AdminCP.

AutoLinker-vB5+vBCloud | NavMenu Dropdown-vB5+vBCloud | TimedSticky | Video Attachments Player | Blur Replies for Guests | Drag/Drop Upload | Topic Starter Ribbon | Topic AJAX Auto-Update

Comment

Working...
                        X