Is there no notifications for subscribed forum here?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shyuan
    • Nov 2012

Is there no notifications for subscribed forum here?

I subscribed to Licensed Customer Feedback here, but I never received any notification before (either email or in user control panel). Is the subscription doesn't do anything?
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

If you're subscribed, it should be listed in your control panel and you'll see if there are new posts or not. You can also edit your subscription to get daily or weekly digests. I use the features as well and they do work.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Amaury
      • Mar 2012
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
      If you're subscribed, it should be listed in your control panel and you'll see if there are new posts or not. You can also edit your subscription to get daily or weekly digests. I use the features as well and they do work.
      Just out of curiosity, why is there no instant notification option by vBulletin default for forums a user is subscribed to like with threads?
      Former vBulletin user

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Amaury25
        Just out of curiosity, why is there no instant notification option by vBulletin default for forums a user is subscribed to like with threads?
        It was decided not to add this due to the volume of email it would generate.

Wayne Luke
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Shyuan
          • Nov 2012

Hi Wayne,

It does listed in my control panel, other than that I don't see any notification about new topics. *as for subscribed threads, I was able to find the settings to receive the notification instantly via email* I couldn't find where to set daily/weekly digest for subscribed forum, could you please guide me? Thank you.

Comment

• Amaury
            • Mar 2012
            • 4.2.X

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I can definitely see where that would be a problem.

Originally posted by Shyuan
            Hi Wayne,

It does listed in my control panel, other than that I don't see any notification about new topics. *as for subscribed threads, I was able to find the settings to receive the notification instantly via email* I couldn't find where to set daily/weekly digest for subscribed forum, could you please guide me? Thank you.
            Click the check mark in a green circle for the forum you want to subscribe to.
            Last edited by Amaury; Thu 6 Dec '12, 8:00am. Reason: Added Response to Shyuan
            Former vBulletin user

Comment

• Shyuan
              • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Amaury25

Click the check mark in a green circle for the forum you want to subscribe to.
              I have already clicked on that a week ago, but the thing is that I didn't receive any forum notification or daily/weekly digest emails even though there are new threads in that subscribed forum. I can only see this forum appear in my member control panel.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

When you subscribe to a forum, you get a screen that allows you to subscribe as only in your Control Panel, Weekly or Daily Digests. You don't get all three, just in your control panel and one of the others. If you didn't select weekly or daily digest, you won't get them. You will need to unsubscribe to the forum and resubscribe making sure to choose the appropriate option.

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Shyuan
                  • Nov 2012

When you subscribe to a forum, you get a screen that allows you to subscribe as only in your Control Panel, Weekly or Daily Digests. You don't get all three, just in your control panel and one of the others. If you didn't select weekly or daily digest, you won't get them. You will need to unsubscribe to the forum and resubscribe making sure to choose the appropriate option.
                  Ah.. thank you, i resubscribed it and I have now chosen the daily digest

Just one last question, if I choose "control panel only", this means the subscribed forum will only be listed in my control panel and will not notify me of any new threads right?

Thank you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Shyuan
                    Just one last question, if I choose "control panel only", this means the subscribed forum will only be listed in my control panel and will not notify me of any new threads right?
                    Yes.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Shyuan
                      • Nov 2012

Yes.
                      Thank you.

Comment

• kb5ynf
                        • Jan 2013

I wish you would rethink this. I for one wouldn't have purchased vBulletin if I had known this was the case. I guess I should have researched it better; that's on me. But it makes sense that when people are interested in a particular forum that they may desire to be updated instantly via e-mail when new posts or threads are made; I'm able to do this on other forum sites that I use and it's great. I understand that with some forums this could definitely create a lot of e-mail; but not on my forum and I'm sure there are others just like me. I'm running a small, group specific forum where e-mail load is never going to be an issue. Why not make it an option for those of us who would like to have this feature and turn it off by default; leave it up to the forum administrator to decide whether the e-mail volume is a problem or not?

Regards,

Jack Mullins
                        IT Director
                        SMA

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

vBulletin 5 has this option. I doubt it will be added to older versions.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment