Supposing I am a moderator, and I want to report a bug? No way here?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • syntaxerror
    • Jun 2012

Supposing I am a moderator, and I want to report a bug? No way here?

Well, that is just my problem. I AM a moderator, but not an administrator (the one who bought and licensed the software). It's nice to see you're completely locking us guys out with your incredibly cheeky policy.
    I'm a moderator AND an IT professional, and writing good bug reports is part of my job!

But where should I write it?

JIRA? Locked down like Fort Knox, licensed users only.

"Troubleshooting" forum? Locked down like Fort Knox, licensed users only.

Are you really seriously implying that I must tell the bug to my admin so that he post the bug report with his account? Is it really that?
    Frankly, if it was so, I could nothing but shake my head. It's oh-so ... frustrating.
  • Riasat
    • Aug 2006

Generally, when people face issues on a site, they contact the site admins/owner and they contact us if it is a bug.

People like you are extremely rare. To give you access to post in JIRA means giving access to everyone in the Internet as we have no way to know you are a moderator in a certain site.
    If you really found a bug that is not listed in JIRA, feel free to write a detailed report on it and PM me. I'll add it to JIRA for you.

Thanks in advance for reporting bugs

Comment

• Amaury
      • Mar 2012
      • 4.2.X

Have your owner add your e-mail address, and you'll be able to post in all forums, you just won't be able to submit tickets.

It's how I've been getting help for the forum I help administrate.
      Former vBulletin user

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Non-licensed members can post in the Pre-Sales forum.

To be able to download attachments and post in the support forums you need to be a licensed customer and register at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/register.php and then register for Priority Forum Support. If you are a customer, please go here to do the latter step:

...and enter your email address (the one you used to register on the forums) in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access that page. When you make these changes the effect is not immediate. It can take up to an hour for the system to update your status.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mk132
          • May 2004

Originally posted by CvP
          Generally, when people face issues on a site, they contact the site admins/owner and they contact us if it is a bug.
          Riasat,

I don't think you realize what a pain it is.
          - Why put the burden on ME?
          - I would like to show (link to) bugs to my moderators. How about read-only access?
          - By not letting my moderators see your bugs, you get fewer bug reports, since admins don't always have time to research bug reports.

I suggest giving everybody (registered here) read-only access. You will get more bug reports and make the life easier for admins.

Comment

• Zachery
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Jul 2002

Anyone who has access to the licensed area of the forum can see and report bugs.

Comment

• mk132
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
              Anyone who has access to the licensed area of the forum can see and report bugs.
              Yes, I suggest everybody put their two best moderators there to give them access.
              If you expand that list to 20 usernames or email addresses, I would be able to give more access.

Again, IMO, read-only access to the tracker is best for everybody.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by mk132
                Riasat,

I don't think you realize what a pain it is.
                - Why put the burden on ME?
                - I would like to show (link to) bugs to my moderators. How about read-only access?
                - By not letting my moderators see your bugs, you get fewer bug reports, since admins don't always have time to research bug reports.

I suggest giving everybody (registered here) read-only access. You will get more bug reports and make the life easier for admins.
                We had it set up like this at the beginning. What resulted is a lot of duplicate issues and many weren't even bugs. They were issues where someone was reporting an issue due to something the Administrator put into place either through the settings or addons.

We can't support end-users, even if they're moderators. The Administrator needs to know what is occurring on their site and if an issue occurs open a support ticket first as the issue may be unique to their setup. By restricting it to licensed customers, we get legitimate issues reported.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• mk132
                  • May 2004

I appreciate the response, Wayne. I can think of quite a few reasons to keep it all private, just I want to be able to link to bug reports, nothing more.

Comment

• TheSonic
                    • Sep 2002

Why not ask the owner of the license to add your eMail-Adress (Same used with your vb.com-Account) in the Customer Area here:
                    Greets,
                    TheSonic

Comment

• Sebastiano Vassellatti
                      Former vBulletin QA
                      • Aug 2008
                      • 5.5.x

Originally posted by mk132
                      I appreciate the response, Wayne. I can think of quite a few reasons to keep it all private, just I want to be able to link to bug reports, nothing more.
                      Registered users do have access to view the tracker and issues, even if they're not licensed members. Only guests do not have access to view issues. So everyone can simply create an account and view the bugs.

Comment

• mk132
                        • May 2004

Originally posted by Darkshenron
                        Registered users do have access to view the tracker and issues.
                        Thanks! I didn't realize that, or I had forgotten...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...