X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Ledger
    • Feb 2012
    • 4.0.x

Getting answers as an end user

We have a vBulletin based web site that is supplied by the hosting company. They hold the licence but won't answer our "how do we …" or "what is …" questions without us paying extra first. How can we get answers to simple questions from here.

Eg first question. There is mention of "Forum Leaders" and "Site Leaders". Are they one and the same or different items.

Hardly a reason to pay £65/hr.

Thanks,
    David
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

If they own the licence then we can only provide support to them I'm afraid. I would enquire with them about having the license transferred to your name.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• we_are_borg
      • Aug 2004
      • 4.2.X

If you need to pay that much press the purchase button here in the navbar and buy a license from vBulletin directly, with a suite version you have unlimited ticket support.

Comment

• janineB
        • Feb 2012

You have to know it its the best price to purchase. A license is needed to continue what you are doing.

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by David Ledger
          We have a vBulletin based web site that is supplied by the hosting company. They hold the licence...
          They not supposed to do that.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by David Ledger
            Eg first question. There is mention of "Forum Leaders" and "Site Leaders". Are they one and the same or different items.
            They are the same thing.

There are lots of sites around that cover all forum software, and you can ask questions, for example, The Admin Zone.
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• TheVisitors
              Banned
              • May 2010
              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by beishe8
              They not supposed to do that.
              This.

I would advise you to purchase vBulletin. If your host is discovered, they'll most likely get shut down.
              After purchasing a copy, I'd advise your to backup everything you can.

Comment

• Stallyon
                • Mar 2005
                • 4.2.X

Wouldn't this be technically re-selling or redistributing the licence? I thought vBS is the exclusive distributor (with the exception of vBG, etc.)?
                A computer without Microsoft Windows is like a chocolate cake without mustard.
                vBulletin user since March 2004, joined forum a year later, migration from vBulletin began April 2013. After 6 years of negativity, even old die-hard fans lose faith.

Comment

• PossumX
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 4.1.x

Getting answers as an end user

Shady and doesn't seem legit, completely. Sounds like a hostage scenario, pay X per month and pay 50 x X to leave with your data an site.

Who is the admin of the site? Meaning who has all permissions in the admincp?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...