What's with all the emails?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's with all the emails?

So here I am, happily ignoring the fact that I'm sitting on a pile of licences apart from the odd occasion when a security bulletin comes out or a new release that is occasionally mailed about. I'm happy enough with this as it's just a few times a year and mainly just enough to keep me remembering that I've got licences if I ever decided I wanted to get back into the forum business.

The last few weeks I've had emails from vb at least once a week. I don't care about facebook-something or app-store-ooofahs or suck like. I'm also getting emails from people claiming to be from vb that are not coming through the same system as has been used since day dot.

I know I could unsubscribe, but that requires digging out the members area login which I've not seen for years now - it was bad enough getting on the forum!- but it was always an all or nothing approach where if you wanted the security bulletins you had to put up with the odd ebulletin with a new release. The thing is that I'm happy to receive those, but not all the ad spam and junk that is also being sent.

Is there any way I can have it reset to what it was before or is it still an all or nothing approach?
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

There should be an unsubscribe button in the header or footer of the emails...

Comment

Nope, just instructions to unsubscribe via the members area. Its such a faff tho that I want to know if I can stop the spam/ads ones without stopping the proper security/release ones before I even attempt it. If I can't then I'm gonna have to dust off the old policies and see if they are being breached, but that's a faff too.

Surely its not gonna be hard for a sensible answer here - or has the sense left this place too?

I'm interested in only one of two answers. To make it easy for you I'll list them here:

Option 1: Yes you can select different email types to opt in/out of in the members area and so can opt out of some and still get your security update emails.

Option 2: The opt in/out system in the members area is the same as it has always been where you have to put up with the ever increasing number of emails or get none at all

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

welcome back!
        Into the Void

Comment

Go and dust off the old policies then

Comment

Should've gone to Specsavers Miss Peters all the emails sent since Lawrence Cole arrived have a very clear "Remove me" link in the footer. ( I know as 1, I just checked them and 2, I used the link to unsubscribe myself.

I can't see that you would be receiving anything different to other members.

Comment

There is a Remove me button on the bottom left of the email.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-11-30 at 9.54.49 AM.png
Views:	1
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	3686069

Nice to see you, Kerry-Anne. I hope you are doing well.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Thanks Adrian and Lynne. Does that link stop all emails though or just the junky type? I mean the facebook this, mobile that, app store the other etc.

Obviously I still want the security release notices and the ones saying that version blah is in beta/been released. I don't want to click the remove link blindly and receive nothing at all as I'll never know if there is an important update or not then.

Twitter Blog

Comment

that link should just stop these emails that Lawrence is sending out once a month - the fancy ones. It should not stop the security updates and stuff like that.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                  vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                  Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                  If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Originally posted by Lynne View Post
                    Lawrence is sending out once a month - the fancy ones.
                    Just one too many per month.
                    I have enough spam arriving into my mailbox.

I agree with Peterska2:
                    I don't want to click the remove link blindly and receive nothing at all as I'll never know if there is an important update or not then.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Security/Update emails will continue to be sent in the old manner at this time and will not use the same subscription list as the 'selling' mails.
                      Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                      -
                      *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                      - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                      - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                      - "Quick Route" Interface...
                      - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant View Post
                        Security/Update emails will continue to be sent in the old manner at this time and will not use the same subscription list as the 'selling' mails.
                        Thank you,Trevor.
                        I've clicked on http://click.shopping.ibemail.com/un..._campaign=&r=0

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

I find the new emails from Lawrence to be awesome. However, I do understand where Kerry-Anne is coming from. They can be annoying when you don't want those sorts of emails turning up.
                          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by carntheroos4eva View Post
                            I find the new emails from Lawrence to be awesome. However, I do understand where Kerry-Anne is coming from. They can be annoying when you don't want those sorts of emails turning up.
                            Sure they can be annoying, but instead of getting all flustered and annoyed and venting on a forum... follow the required steps to remove yourself from that particular mailing list. There is a link in the footer. Simply click on that link...

Comment

It's a bit like when you go and sign up with any forum they love to have an online newsletter which can frustrate some people. You can remove yourself from these newsletters.
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                              Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Working...
                              X