• 4.2.X

Seems faster now that we're on 5.0.5.
    Former vBulletin user

Comment

• Wayne Luke
      vBulletin Technical Support Lead
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Glenn Vergara
      The bottleneck on the New Topics seems to be on filtering unread posts. Setting unread_only to 0 seems to load the page much much faster.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/search?searchJSON=%7B%22date%22%3A%22lastVisit%22%2C%22view%22%3A%22topic%22%2C%22unread_only%22%3A0%2C%22...
      Kind of defeats the purpose of the New Topics link altogether. Only topics that are unread should be considered New.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• glennrocksvb
        Former vBulletin Developer
        • Mar 2011
        • 5.7.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke

Kind of defeats the purpose of the New Topics link altogether. Only topics that are unread should be considered New.
        I know. I was just pointing out the possible bottleneck.

But it seems the link is faster now in 5.0.5.

Flag Icon Postbit Insert GIPHY Impersonate User BETTER INITIALS AVATAR Better Name Card Quote Selected Text Bookmark Posts Post Footer Translate Stop Links in Posts +MORE!

Comment

• Loco.M
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.5.x

Yes, it's much faster today
          Hopefully it'll stick this time and continue to be quick the rest of the week/month.
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• DemOnstar
            • Nov 2012

Notable changes.............I will try it again tomorrow.

Comment

• CygnusFTK
              • Jun 2013
              • 5.0.X

When will 5.0.5 be released? General site slowness has been of major concern to my forum users...

Comment

• DemOnstar
                DemOnstar commented
                Editing a comment
                "Do you think this company has a calendar and/or supervisors who try and keep developers on schedule"?

No!

• mvucic
                mvucic commented
                Editing a comment
                "Do you think this company has a calendar and/or supervisors who try and keep developers on schedule"?

Yes!

• Mark.B
                Mark.B commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello mvucic

Do you have a vBulletin license?
            • TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

Originally posted by CygnusFTK
              When will 5.0.5 be released? General site slowness has been of major concern to my forum users...
              Since the RC1 was installed at this live site, this is a strong indicator that vB 5.0.5 seems to be almost ready, don't you think? No one can tell you an exact release date, but it doesn't look like you have to wait for another couple of weeks.

Comment

• CygnusFTK
                • Jun 2013
                • 5.0.X

This is fascinating to me. I have worked in IT, Application Development from small, private sites to major headache sites... as a web developer since the 90s... and I have never heard of this before. One thing that has always been a constant push - everywhere - is scheduling and staying on track with meeting deadlines.

I understand that you can't rush genius, but... most days I don't think that's what we are talking about here, really.

Trying to be patient...

Comment

• Paul M
                  Former Lead Developer
                  vB.Com & vB.Org
                  • Sep 2004

When will 5.0.5 be released?
                  When its ready .............

Seriosuly though, we are running it on vb.com over the weekend and will evaluate on Monday, all being well, it should be early next week.
                  Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• lara_19800
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2013

This is fascinating to me. I have worked in IT, Application Development from small, private sites to major headache sites... as a web developer since the 90s... and I have never heard of this before. One thing that has always been a constant push - everywhere - is scheduling and staying on track with meeting deadlines.

I understand that you can't rush genius, but... most days I don't think that's what we are talking about here, really.

Trying to be patient...
                    I'm viewing from the UK, I'm guessing the vBulletin.com server is US-based and I wouldn't describe the connection as "unbearably slow" anymore. I'd say it was now just about tolerable when I'm viewing from a PC or an ipad; not good, but better than it was. It usually loads in less time for me than 7 seconds unless something makes it fall over. Last time that happened to me it was an ad on the right hand side of the screen advertising vB5. I don't know what that was but I'm guessing it was "Son of Notices Manager". The Notices Manager occasionally caused problems in vB4, so we don't use it much.

Does anyone have any experience of how quickly it loads from a phone? How quick is that?

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by lara_19800
                      I'm viewing from the UK, I'm guessing the vBulletin.com server is US-based and I wouldn't describe the connection as "unbearably slow" anymore. I'd say it was now just about tolerable when I'm viewing from a PC or an ipad; not good, but better than it was. It usually loads in less time for me than 7 seconds unless something makes it fall over. Last time that happened to me it was an ad on the right hand side of the screen advertising vB5. I don't know what that was but I'm guessing it was "Son of Notices Manager". The Notices Manager occasionally caused problems in vB4, so we don't use it much. Does anyone have any experience of how quickly it loads from a phone? How quick is that?
                      Do you have a vBulletin license?
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• DemOnstar
                        DemOnstar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry Mr B, but you left yourself wide open here...
                    • DemOnstar
                      • Nov 2012

Does it load quicker if one has a license?

Comment

• feldon23
                        feldon23 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Epic.

• durruti
                        durruti commented
                        Editing a comment
                        LMAO......
                    • Amaury
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 4.2.X

Lot faster on 5.0.5.

Still can't upload an avatar, though. Hope that issue gets resolved soon.
                      Former vBulletin user

Comment

• lara_19800
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2013

How can so many people have so different experiences when visiting the same site? I mean, even if speed issues are server related, we all should experience those issues, right? Or wrong?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by lara_19800
                          How can so many people have so different experiences when visiting the same site? I mean, even if speed issues are server related, we all should experience those issues, right? Or wrong?
                          Everything is based on permissions and views. Each set of permissions builds a new view of the site. What I see is different than what you see. That is the nature of the beast. Every page is dynamic.

We try to improve the building of these views with Caching. Guest users are heavily cached for instance. We only build their pages once every 5 minutes. So in essence they are behind the times. On top of that with Guests we use a tool called Varnish which converts those Page views into HTML files. So they never actually use the software and are just being fed cached pages.

With registered users, it is more dynamic and things are updated quicker. Most caches are held for shorter times and then rebuilt.

Again with licensed customers, they see different things still. This is stored as well.

With the issue in this thread it is most likely related to the unread_only filter on searches. We can't cache this for groups. Each visitor is going to have their own list of unread threads that is then inserted into the cached page view.

Finally there is local storage. We try to take advantage of this for things like phrases, reused templates and other items you'll use on multiple pages. You can turn off Local Storage. So this will increase your viewing time. Same with caching the Javascript and CSS. If those are cached and not downloaded again, you'll have better speeds. If they are downloaded, they add latency. We try to defer a lot of this to the end of the page load so you can read before acting on the page. However with some systems this can cause the page to seemingly freeze while your viewing it as well.

In short, there are a lot of variables involved.
                          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment