X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

The site look was do to a file being improperly cached in varnish. This has been resolved.

The speed issue may have something to do with the lookback period. It should only pull unread issues from the last visit but it may be ignoring that in the query and doing the removal of old posts in the code. I've temporarily activated "Today's Posts" for all users. See if that link works better for you as a workaround.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• dilbert
      • Oct 2004

This morning I visited for the first time since last week. I had 6 pages of new posts. It took several minutes to load. Each time I clicked the next page button (after I scrolled to the top to find it) I waited another several minutes. At some point I imagine most people won't bother coming here anymore. That should help.
      Cliff
      PathLabTalk
      Square Wheels Cycling

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

Originally posted by dilbert
        At some point I imagine most people won't bother coming here anymore.
        This is the truth.. maybe that's the plan?

It's still taking an EXTREMELY long time for the new threads to load. (well over a minute)
        This is unacceptable for a decade old software company.

It's just a mess really, nothing has improved in the almost a month since I started this thread.

I give up vBulletin.. enjoy the slow load times and keep wondering why traffic has vanished..

I wonder how long before this gets fixed, and what about all those CMS and blog users.. How long has it been since vb 5 was released, what was the expected date those missing previously paid features to be back in action?

I feel sorry for most the staff here, I'm sure they don't like the slow times either but something is holding up progress.

Well at least vb4 finally supports (alpha) the latest PHP..
        Last edited by Loco.M; Mon 9 Sep '13, 7:47am.
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• DemOnstar
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Loco.M
          I feel sorry for most the staff here, I'm sure they don't like the slow times either but something is holding up progress.
          Have to agree...Not only on the speed issue but also the time in which it has taken to get to the stage it is at currently..

Well at least vb4 finally supports (alpha) the latest PHP..

Comment

• Paul M
            Former Lead Developer
            vB.Com & vB.Org
            • Sep 2004

It's still taking an EXTREMELY long time for the new threads to load. (well over a minute)
            This is unacceptable for a decade old software company.
            The I suggest you have an issue outside of this site. New threads load in about 6-8 seconds.

I just opened about 10 from my unread list, the slowest took 10 seconds, the fastest 5 seconds.
            While these are not great times, they are nothing like the times you quote.
            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• rudedog1968
              • Feb 2004
              • 3.8.x

Just pulled a 44 second load for new topics

Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Paul M
                The I suggest you have an issue outside of this site. New threads load in about 6-8 seconds. I just opened about 10 from my unread list, the slowest took 10 seconds, the fastest 5 seconds. While these are not great times, they are nothing like the times you quote.
                I don't think that's the case. For me the load times vary between approximately 7 seconds and some minutes. My line is about as good as it gets in the UK.
                Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\zappaDPJ>ping google.com Pinging google.com [173.194.41.130] with 32 bytes of data: Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58 Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=58 Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58 Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58 Ping statistics for 173.194.41.130: Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss), Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds: Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 7ms C:\Users\zappaDPJ>
                It appears the server this server does not respond to ping requests so it's hard to diagnose where the problem is. [QUOTE]C:\Users\zappaDPJ>tracert vbulletin.com Tracing route to vbulletin.com [98.158.196.79] over a maximum of 30 hops: 1
                Attached Files

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                  • Jun 2007

And as you can see I tried (and failed) to post some helpful data but vBulletin 5 really didn't want to play ball. I'm sorry but when the software is so bad that you can't even make a simple post it's really not worth bothering about the speed of delivery.

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                    • Jun 2007

Let's try again...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
                    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\zappaDPJ>ping google.com

Pinging google.com [173.194.41.130] with 32 bytes of data:
                    Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58
                    Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=58
                    Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=7ms TTL=58
                    Reply from 173.194.41.130: bytes=32 time=8ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 173.194.41.130:
                    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
                    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
                    Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 9ms, Average = 7ms

C:\Users\zappaDPJ>tracert vbulletin.com

Tracing route to vbulletin.com [98.158.196.79]
                    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
                    2 9 ms 7 ms 18 ms telehouse-gw4-lo1.idnet.net [212.69.63.98]
                    3 11 ms 7 ms 7 ms 212.69.63.247
                    4 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms telehouse-gw1-fa0-0.402.idnet.net [212.69.63.73]

5 8 ms 7 ms 7 ms ge-2-1-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net [195.66.224.76]

6 8 ms 8 ms 8 ms ge-3-0-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net [64.125.28.126]

7 80 ms 80 ms 79 ms so-0-1-0.mpr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.27.57]
                    8 79 ms 93 ms 79 ms xe-0-3-0.cr1.dca2.us.above.net [64.125.29.17]
                    9 106 ms 123 ms 106 ms xe-0-2-0.cr1.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.25.114]
                    10 107 ms 107 ms 107 ms xe-0-0-0.cr2.iah1.us.above.net [64.125.30.66]
                    11 138 ms 138 ms 138 ms xe-0-3-0.cr2.lax112.us.above.net [64.125.25.53]

12 206 ms 138 ms 138 ms xe-0-1-0.mpr1.lax7.us.above.net [64.125.30.5]
                    13 140 ms 138 ms 138 ms 64.125.69.86.t00757-03.above.net [64.125.69.86]

14 * * * Request timed out.
                    15 * * * Request timed out.
                    16 * * * Request timed out.
                    17 * * * Request timed out.
                    18 * * * Request timed out.
                    19 * * * Request timed out.
                    20 * * * Request timed out.
                    21 * * * Request timed out.
                    22 * * * Request timed out.
                    23 * * * Request timed out.
                    24 * * * Request timed out.
                    25 * * * Request timed out.
                    26 * * * Request timed out.
                    27 * * * Request timed out.
                    28 * * * Request timed out.
                    29 * * * Request timed out.
                    30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

C:\Users\zappaDPJ>

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

I suspect the datacenter is set to ignore pings inside of our network, which isn't completely uncommon. Does the link wayne posted, or the current today's posts still show the same issue?

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Zachery
                        I suspect the datacenter is set to ignore pings inside of our network, which isn't completely uncommon. Does the link wayne posted, or the current today's posts still show the same issue?
                        If it's the link on the previous page which incidentally I can't multi-quote then yes, that link is actually acceptably fast. Consistently around 2-3 seconds for me which is faster than any other page load I've come across here. Why would that be?

Comment

• Paul M
                          Former Lead Developer
                          vB.Com & vB.Org
                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by zappaDPJ
                          I don't think that's the case.
                          The image you posted was a search, not loading a topic.
                          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Loco.M
                            • Mar 2005
                            • 3.5.x

Then I suggest you have an issue outside of this site. New threads load in about 6-8 seconds.

I just opened about 10 from my unread list, the slowest took 10 seconds, the fastest 5 seconds.
                            While these are not great times, they are nothing like the times you quote.
                            Negative.. I've tested this on at least 5 computers on completely different network and all have been slow loading "New Threads" page. (all "high speed" internet)
                            Also there are several members here experiencing the same slowness.

The image you posted was a search, not loading a topic.
                            Hello Paul,

This whole thread about the "New threads" search link. (Check the OP)
                            No one is saying the actual thread takes a minute to load, the new thread search is what's incredibly slow and this has always been the most used link on all sites I've encountered.

Also muti-quote doesn't work at all.. I had to copy and paste, remove the first "quote" button and click the second quote button.

Maybe staff can open their minds a little and realize with the facts presented from several members that the new threads search is not working correctly.
                            -- Web Developer for hire
                            ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• TLMD
                              • Sep 2012
                              • 5.6.X

Also muti-quote doesn't work at all.. I had to copy and paste, remove the first "quote" button and click the second quote button.
                              You can click "Quote" below all posts you want to be quoted. Then click "Post Reply (x)" in the floating bar and all selected quotes get inserted in the editor.

Comment

• DemOnstar
                                • Nov 2012

Not really that clear to the uninitiated is it?

Originally posted by TLMD
                                You can click "Quote" below all posts you want to be quoted. Then click "Post Reply (x)" in the floating bar and all selected quotes get inserted in the editor.
                                Yeah, a bit weird that one...I logged this back in June: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-10058

Comment