Users here can't use Imageshack to host images?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

Users here can't use Imageshack to host images?

As per https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...=1#post2220375 , moderator cvp tells a user they may not use imageshack.

Apparently this is because cvp can't see the images.

I could see the images perfectly, but was linked to a Yahoo India page from 8 months ago where a lot of Indian people had the issue. http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110222200859AApVsYu

Apparently this is an issue for 'users in some countries', evidently Bangladesh is one of those.

Perhaps you need to add this to your Rules, as you now have a moderator who cannot view images on one of the most popular image hosting sites on the internet.
    My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.
  • Ace
    • Apr 2004
    • 4.2.X

I mean, he could always make an imageshack account and not tell people not to use imageshack, but that's probably way too much effort.
    vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• AdrianH
      • Sep 2007

Like CVP said it is an issue which crops up quite often , I see it on a forum here in the UK where a user posts an image with Image shack only for half the members to not be able to see anything but a yellow frog.

Comment

• Ace
        • Apr 2004
        • 4.2.X

The issue only occurs to people in certain countries, and only then to those who don't have an imageshack account.

If he's not prepared to make one, then either vB makes a rule to disallow them for all customers wanting support, or he can't support people that use them.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
          vBulletin Technical Support Lead
          • Aug 2000

Zachery has made a site called tmpdmp.com where people can upload temporary images. I'll make an announcement as soon as I get to my desktop.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Ace
            If he's not prepared to make one, then either vB makes a rule to disallow them for all customers wanting support, or he can't support people that use them.
            I don't want to register at imageshack just so I can see some attachments when users can upload attachments just fine here or on other sites that don't require registration.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• AdrianH
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Lynne
              I don't want to register at imageshack just so I can see some attachments when users can upload attachments just fine here or on other sites that don't require registration.

Nor should you on a support site, the images are useful to members searching for answers to issues, if they go on a photo hosting site and get removed we end up with threads that have endless missing images which are of no help at all.

Given all the various photo host sites available and the problems that can crop up support staff would need access to dozens of sites.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                • Aug 2000

I've posted this: https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...ge-for-support

Wayne Luke
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Riasat
                  • Aug 2006

To answer some of Ace's questions...

I use at least 4 different computers x 3 different browsers. That's 12 places I need to be logged in from.

Imageshack is known to remove images if they wish so; their servers often go down and leave images (on that server) broken for days.
                  Imageshack often rescales larger images forcefully (often making it hard to read) unless the uploader has an account.
                  Imageshack was (not is) the most popular imagehosting service.

People who come to support forums from one of these blocked countries, they will not be able to understand the threads and self-help.
                  Finally, there is a built-in attachment system in the editor itself. Not using it makes no sense.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4.2.X

To be fair anyone posting on vBulletin with a license should be able to upload a picture to vBulletin.com just like imageshack based site. Then staff will not have issues with it and you can protect the pictures with htaccess disallowing people to use it outside vBulletin.com and or vBulletin.org.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by we_are_borg
                      To be fair anyone posting on vBulletin with a license should be able to upload a picture to vBulletin.com just like imageshack based site. Then staff will not have issues with it and you can protect the pictures with htaccess disallowing people to use it outside vBulletin.com and or vBulletin.org.
                      They can upload using the built-in attachment system and do this.

Wayne Luke
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• we_are_borg
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                        They can upload using the built-in attachment system and do this.
                        So why aren't they doing that all ready, can it be that the system is not as easy to use as the free upload systems.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by we_are_borg
                          So why aren't they doing that all ready, can it be that the system is not as easy to use as the free upload systems.
                          Not going to get in a debate with you about the software functionality in this thread. Take it back to the dozens of other threads. There is no need to pollute every thread.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• we_are_borg
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                            Not going to get in a debate with you about the software functionality in this thread. Take it back to the dozens of other threads. There is no need to pollute every thread.
                            No just saying it makes sense what you said upload it into the internal attachment system thats what i do i don't use imageshack (or similar) that often only when its asked by others so why do people use external system. If you look at the help section lots of images are uploaded at an external source. Also those external sources are usually slower then vBulletin so i would like to see more use of vBulletin system it will speed things up.

Comment

• Riasat
                              • Aug 2006

borg, some people dont use vb's upload cause of two reasons:
                              - when the issue occured, the first report was done using imgshk and the admin just posted that in here
                              - some people are still used to uploading in imgshk

Insert image button is one of the best thing in vb4, imo.

Let's not debate about this anymore.

Comment