X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IcEWoLF
    • Jul 2008
    • 4.1.x

Any plans on fixing forum/forum?

If you are showing off your forum and your product, you should consider fixing this.
    This is plain ugly and it's sending the wrong message to many people, other than the website loading at a snail pace.
    If you can't get things fixed on your own site, why are you still advertising the product and expect people to buy this?

PS: On a separate note, when selecting a thread icon, the bottom line disappears.
    The 47 Ronin Gaming - www.47r-squad.com
  • Boothby
    • Aug 2002
    • 3.8.x

It's not a bug, it's a feature. The first /forum is the folder where the software placed. The second /forum is part of the routing. Yeah, it looks indeed a little bit weird. Maybe it would be possible to rename the forum-path? But all in all it's nothing that needs to be fixed. There are more serious issues...
    Stefan

Scott me up, Beamie!

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

I put a post in yesterday about this.

/forum is the overall site homepage.
      /forum/forum is the homepage for the forum channel

Just as
      /forum/blogs is the homepage of the blogs channel.

People always jump on this because of the two "forum"s in the URL but that only comes about because of the URL itself.

If your site was at (for instance)

domain.com/community

then you have

domain.com/community/forum
      as the homepage for the forum channel

domain.com/community/blogs
      as the homepage for the Blogs channel.

There is in fact a clear logic to it that is often overlooked.

What's missing, IMO, is the ability to easily CHANGE these details to something else. If your URL is domain.com/forum then you might want to change the name of the forum channel to something else, eg boards. So you'd have domain.com/forum/boards. However this currently isn't easy or practical to achieve.

People run around constantly saying forum/forum is a bug. It absolutely is not, it's working precisely as designed.
      You can argue about how good the design is, certainly, but there's no bug.
      Last edited by Mark.B; Mon 1 Jul '13, 3:28am.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Ting Kang
        Ting Kang commented
        Editing a comment
        I see. thanks.
    • TLMD
      • Sep 2012
      • 5.6.X

Thanks for pointing this out, Mark.B! But what I don't understand (sorry, I am no programmer): Why isn't it easy to make it possible to change the name of the forum channel?

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

Originally posted by TLMD
        Thanks for pointing this out, Mark.B! But what I don't understand (sorry, I am no programmer): Why isn't it easy to make it possible to change the name of the forum channel?
        I don't know. I agree that it should be, and there are Tracker entries in place relating to this so hopefully at some point it will be simple to do.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Paul M
          Former Lead Developer
          vB.Com & vB.Org
          • Sep 2004

There is nothing to fix.

The first part is easy for anyone to change, its just the folder name you put your software in, so you could easily change that to something like "community" and then your urls would be community/forum/...... The second part can also be changed, but atm, only if you know what you are doing, there is no inteface for it. You need to change the channel name, and all the relevant route definitions.

I have manually done it on a test forum and it appaers to work ok. Of course, if you did it on an existing forum, all your old links would start to fail.
          Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• we_are_borg
            • Aug 2004
            • 4.2.X

I think people get confeused because of the domain.tld/forum/forum because many install vBulletin in a directory called "forum". If people installed vBulletin in domain.tld/ then domain.tld/ would show with sidebars and domain.tld/forum without sidebars. You would then get domain.tld/blogs. Domain.tld/ can be anything vBulletin has to offer you could set blogs there as primary view or later the CMS or the forum.

Comment

• TLMD
              • Sep 2012
              • 5.6.X

I think this confusion will disappear once the CMS for vB5 is ready. I don't know how good the CMS will be, but if the developers create a really solid and feature rich one, then it will be used by many people and the actual forum becomes somewhat of a "sub-page", since the home page will be filled with content via the CMS.

Comment

• Amaury
                • Mar 2012
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
                I don't know. I agree that it should be, and there are Tracker entries in place relating to this so hopefully at some point it will be simple to do.
                It must vary, because if you look at my signature, there's only one.
                Former vBulletin user

Comment

• OhioDave
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2012

I agree, there really isn't anything wrong with their concept of forum and /forum/forum. However it's rather redundant to have two pages that present the same data. It'd be better if it was only accessible from one URL.

A simple htaccess could probably solve it.

Comment

• Zachery
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • Jul 2002

The home page doesn't have to be a forum list.

Comment

• JuniorNation
                      • Sep 2009
                      • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
                      I put a post in yesterday about this.

/forum is the overall site homepage.
                      /forum/forum is the homepage for the forum channel

Just as
                      /forum/blogs is the homepage of the blogs channel.

People always jump on this because of the two "forum"s in the URL but that only comes about because of the URL itself.

If your site was at (for instance)

domain.com/community

then you have

domain.com/community/forum
                      as the homepage for the forum channel

domain.com/community/blogs
                      as the homepage for the Blogs channel.

There is in fact a clear logic to it that is often overlooked.

What's missing, IMO, is the ability to easily CHANGE these details to something else. If your URL is domain.com/forum then you might want to change the name of the forum channel to something else, eg boards. So you'd have domain.com/forum/boards. However this currently isn't easy or practical to achieve.

People run around constantly saying forum/forum is a bug. It absolutely is not, it's working precisely as designed.
                      You can argue about how good the design is, certainly, but there's no bug.
                      That is just plain ugly and stupid to see forum/forum........ None of the competition is using that.

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

Most people using a forum neither know or care what the exact url is, they just click links and view the result.
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Atlantisss
                          • Aug 2005
                          • 3.5.x

While that may be true, perfect URLs are the kind of perfections that used to make vBulletin the best product. Used to.

Comment

• In Omnibus
                            In Omnibus commented
                            Editing a comment
                            A "perfect URL" is one that gets the user to the intended destination, no more and no less.

• Atlantisss
                            Atlantisss commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Just like the perfect car gets you from A to B, no more and no less?

• DemOnstar
                            DemOnstar commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Most people want to get from A to B with less fuss and more haste.
                            The quicker the better for me, I am not looking out of the side windows.