X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David Ahmad
    • Aug 2010

Official Paid Third Party Mods Section

Hello vBulletin,

This idea has been brought up before, but I'd like to make a sort of official thread and with the hope of the community to back me up on this. There are a lot of great third party mod and theme developers out there. Yet there is not one place for everyone who has vBulletin, to discover them. Your competitors such as xenforo and ipb both have large premium marketplaces, hosted on their sites for easier user discovery, and vBulletin is the leading forum software.

xenforo market:http://xenforo.com/community/resourc...hted&type=paid
    ips market: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/
    vBulletin market?

Please offer a marketplace for developers to display and sell their mods. I think this is an immediate concern as this will bolster your 3rd party developer earnings and the number of 3rd party developers that are attracted. If you know from history, Apple is very powerful not only cause of its' software, but more importantly by the developers who build off it.

Anyone else think this is a good idea, please post below.

David Ahmad
    Founder of vBSocial.com
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

I would like a mod that allows Vb5 to work to its full potential. But when that is achieved, I would no longer need the mod.

Comment

• The Crow
      • Jan 2009
      • 4.2.X

That system has its advantages and disadvantages. It's great for the consumer to have all available mods in the same place, and developers have a greater potential of selling their products. On the other hand, one of the perks of being a vBulletin customer in the past was the huge amount of free mods at vborg. If such a system were implemented, most mods would most likely become commercial, even those that were originally intended to be free, like it happens in xenForo's marketplace.

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
        • Jul 2008

I am torn on this issue myself. As someone with a lot of mods, including "paid" mods I know the biggest factor limiting sales is getting people to know my website exists. So personally it would be good for me, and it would entice me to develop more mods.

HOWEVER... it would pretty much be the death of quality free mods. Any mod that took me over an hour to build I'd now list for $5 or $10 rather than giving it away for free.

I'd imagine most coders who give away free mods now do so not only because they care about the community but frankly it is a lot of work to try charging for a mod. It's just easier to give them away for free.

Make it too easy to charge and even the smaller mods will soon have a price tag.

That may not be bad for the coders, but I question whether it is good for the community as a whole.

Comment

• darnoldy
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Joe D.
          I question whether it is good for the community as a whole.
          Depends how you define "community." I think there was a point where most of the people who used vB were coders. I'm not sure that's true anymore. I am not a coder, nor do I want to become one.

Any mod that took me over an hour to build I'd now list for $5 or $10 rather than giving it away for free.
          I don't use a lot of mods, but would happily pay $5 or 10 for a mod that I found useful—--especially if the alternative was not having it. How many of the unpaid mod requests on vB.org actually get fulfilled?

I'd imagine most coders who give away free mods now do so not only because they care about the community but frankly it is a lot of work to try charging for a mod. It's just easier to give them away for free.
          I think that that will remain true. So far, we're not talking about setting up a e-commerce site to sell the mods, just a directory to list where they can be found.

I know this debate has been going on since before I ever became a vB customer--—so I don't expect that we will resolve it this week.

--don
          Last edited by darnoldy; Sun 16 Jun '13, 10:07am. Reason: the editor strips out —
          --don

Comment

• rudedog1968
            • Feb 2004
            • 3.8.x

The problem right now is that who is left to mod vB5? From what I read, most modders looked at the vB 5 code and laughed, then left. Who is really left or who would want to spend time and their own money on software that the devs cant get working in the first place? Where did all the 3rd party theme developers go? vB it self keeps driving people away.
            Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• feldon23
              • Nov 2001
              • 3.7.x

You literally could not pay me enough to write vB5 mods.

Comment

• David Ahmad
                • Aug 2010

We've got some pretty cool mods coming out for vB5 stay tuned.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...