X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdj
    • Jan 2009
    • 5.1.x

Suggest you stop hiding "profile"

When I visit vBulletin.com and I'm logged in my user name usually appears at top right to the right of "Messages". When I first started visiting [latest vB5] I couldn't see where "Profile" had gone although eventually I found the drop down box. To the left of "messages" is a solid white bar extending the whole of the way across the top of my screen. I'm pretty sure there'd be enough room for "profile" even on a smart phone and it doesn't not appear to be in an area that would interfere with the display of adverts, if adverts were deployed. That being the case I can't really see the point in hiding the "Profile" field; I suspect if anyone does move from vB4 to vB5 it will just create confusion.

That being the case it would probably be more helpful to the end user if to the left of messages there was a box saying "My Profile" and if the words "my profile" were editable somewhere so that you could personalise the user's space. "My vBulletin.com" or whatever your chosen personalised area is.

I would also be inclined to add a setting somewhere so that you could set the post-login-landing-page to be the page of your choice and it would be an advantage if that page could be the individual user's profile page. Ideally the admin would be able to set a default and the user would be able to customise in profile.
  • Trevor Hannant
    vBulletin Support
    • Aug 2002
    • 5.7.X

Feel free to add your suggestions as Improvement requests here:

Once you've done this, to get people to vote on them, place details and links to them in the vB5 Suggestions forum here:

Discuss your improvement requests for vBulletin 5 here. All threads should link to an active and valid Improvement Request linked in JIRA.
    Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• jdj
      • Jan 2009
      • 5.1.x

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
      Feel free to add your suggestions as Improvement requests here:

Once you've done this, to get people to vote on them, place details and links to them in the vB5 Suggestions forum here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...-5-suggestions
      I've added it to JIRA, feel free to move my post to the suggestions forum if that's where you think it should be.

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by jdj
        I would also be inclined to add a setting somewhere so that you could set the post-login-landing-page to be the page of your choice and it would be an advantage if that page could be the individual user's profile page. Ideally the admin would be able to set a default and the user would be able to customise in profile
        Does this come anywhere near what your requirements are? http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum...p-landing-page

It has only 5 votes to date.

Comment

• jdj
          jdj commented
          Editing a comment
          It's slightly more complicated than what I'm proposing. What I'm proposing is that you would benefit from being able to set the default post login landing page, and if it could be done then it would be useful for users to be able to set their preferred post login landing page in their own profile.

• DemOnstar
          DemOnstar commented
          Editing a comment
          Please go here http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=7 and voice your concerns.
      • Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

Click image for larger version

Name:	sitebuildermenu.png
Views:	24
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	3971599

The "White Bar" to the left of Messages already has the Sitebuilder menu in it. That menu will expand over time. Adding additional links can cause problems in a finite space.

However, for your own site, you can easily add a link to the Profile in the Navigation Bar using Sitebuilder. Editing the Navigation Bar is very easy to do. Much easier than in 4.X.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment