Today's Posts as a guest

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BirdOPrey5
    • Jul 2008

The fix may be to change "Today's Posts" to "Today's Content" but it doesn't sound as nice. Perhaps add a content filter to the page. Yes the lack of a title should be fixed, it should be "Visitor Message for USERNAME" or something. A lot needs to be fixed on Today's Posts, including what forum (or otherwise) each topic originates from.

Comment

• DemOnstar
      • Nov 2012

It is confusing and bad form. Whether it be fixed, changed, modified, my personal opinion is that it should not be seen in today's posts.
      Ok, it may be as designed but from what I see so far, it ain't acceptable. Hence the http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9839 link inclusion.
      Agree or disagree, vote or not vote. We are messing around here and this takes even more time.............

Apologies for anything they maybe construed as non diplomatic.

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Joe D.
        The fix may be to change "Today's Posts" to "Today's Content" but it doesn't sound as nice.
        Agreed. It sounds crap. Today's content embraces topics, it embraces VM messages that appear in today's posts. It may include blogs and CMS at some point?

Has today's posts taken on a new definition?

Comment

• Mark Jean
          • Apr 2012

We're looking at addressing http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBV-9839 in 5.0.4. Thank you.

Comment

• darnoldy
            • Oct 2004

The fix may be to change "Today's Posts" to "Today's Content" but it doesn't sound as nice. Perhaps add a content filter to the page. Yes the lack of a title should be fixed, it should be "Visitor Message for USERNAME" or something. A lot needs to be fixed on Today's Posts, including what forum (or otherwise) each topic originates from.
            I am not a big fan (or a fan at all) of the visitor message function—. I think it detracts from the forum.

That being said, visitor messages are intended for a particular individual (even though they don't carry the expectation of privacy that "PMs" do), they just are , there is no reason why every reader should be presented with every visitor message to anyone, when they perform a time-based search—whether "new posts" or "today's post."

If you could arrange it so that the reader would be presented with VMs *to* them within either search (but not VMs to other people), I could (maybe) be persuaded that that was a reasonable approach.

--don
            --don

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by DemOnstar
              The fix may be to change "Today's Posts" to "Today's Content" but it doesn't sound as nice.
              Agreed. It sounds crap. Today's content embraces topics, it embraces VM messages that appear in today's posts. It may include blogs and CMS at some point?

Has today's posts taken on a new definition?
              ​Blogs and blog comments already show up in Today's posts. ALL new content shows up in one place. People used to complain in VB4 that only forum posts showed up.

Comment

• DemOnstar
                • Nov 2012

And now people are complaining about this.

Can't please everyone? ?

Comment

• Mark Jean
                  • Apr 2012

Please add comments on, and vote for, VBV-9839. Thank you.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by is_it_me
                    Originally posted by Wayne Luke
                    Originally posted by DemOnstar
                    I sent a VM today and that appeared in todays posts. I expect this is being fixed.
                    Kind of as designed... Want something private then send a private message.
                    ​Oh, come on, Wayne, this can't seriously be 'as designed'.

A VM is not a forum post, so it shouldn't appear under 'Forums > Today's Posts', and it certainly shouldn't appear without a title, to claim otherwise is totally bonkers.

OK, you said 'Kind of as designed', which I guess we should translate from vB-speak into English as, 'Blimey, that's another cock-up'.
                    The search should return all content except that specifically excluded. I probably have the JSON messed up which is causing the issue.

Take it how you will. I don't think it really matters. If it worked perfectly, I think you'll still find fault.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment