WOW what a mess - accessing vB5 via ipad - native web browser(s)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rudedog1968
    • Feb 2004
    • 3.8.x

WOW what a mess - accessing vB5 via ipad - native web browser(s)

I don't normally visit the site on my Ipad (3 or 4) but that's what I had handy on this flight so what the heck. Boy was that a bad idea.

Running Chrome, Safari or the built in browser from my 1password application.

1st cant view the login box or even type a user/password let alone auto fill it from 1Password (but hey that may be 1Password). The login box is hanging 3/4 off the screen and does not take any text input.
    2nd trying to view a thread - wow how bad could the formatting be- very large blank spaces especially when viewing a thread with nested comments (another mess by vB)

Brows my vB3.8.x forums fine with the same browsers mentioned above.

How does all these issues get past QA or better yet, how does the product management and or sr management let this stuff go? Why are you showcasing this train wreck on your official forums? Was that bonus worth it, for meeting that release date and destroying what was once a great piece of software? Does anyone leaving vB actually put "worked on vB5 on their resume?

At least the crappy gogo wireless connection on my flight makes the site feel fast....
    Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

I can access vB5 on iPad just fine.

Make sure you have cleared your cookies/cache in the Safari settings.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• rudedog1968
      • Feb 2004
      • 3.8.x

I've never visited the site via any of my Ipads before also used 3 different browsers. I'll try again after I get some work done.

What about the thread view? would that be a cookie/cache issue as well?
      Not so Rude, Rudedog FPSadmin.com | twitter | Microsoft MVP 2009-2014 - Games for Windows

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Mark.B
        I can access vB5 on iPad just fine.

Make sure you have cleared your cookies/cache in the Safari settings.
        You know, other companies manage to roll out major Javascript changes without requiring everyone to reset their cookies and cache. It's particularly hard on the customer to reset cookies on a mobile browser as all those passwords for every website must be re-entered. Maybe you guys should look at .htaccess expiration directives and expiration headers on your JS and CSS files so it "just works".

Comment

• Zachery
          Former vBulletin Support
          • Jul 2002

Actually, this only affect users who are using css as files, the css timestamp doesn't get updated in the upgrader.

Comment

• rudedog1968
            • Feb 2004
            • 3.8.x

Sorry guys, have not had a chance to double check this, busy with work.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Zachery
              Actually, this only affect users who are using css as files, the css timestamp doesn't get updated in the upgrader.

Im pretty sure the timestamp gets udated in an upgrade, the issue is that when css is stored as files, the timestamp isnt used.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment