Suggestions forum not allowing new threads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • we_are_borg
    • Aug 2004
    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
    Mind that WAB already knows these threads well and it should be only a matter of changing a prefix. Yes, its still a lot of work. But its doable. Especially if a few people handle it.
    Its a lot of work thats where we all agree on, both talking about it and doing nothing does not make it go away. I have done so many bug testing to get stuff from unconfirmed to confirmed that i do not care how much work something is any more.

Comment

• feldon23
      • Nov 2001
      • 3.7.x

Originally posted by Ramsesx
      To be realistic who should read 18.000 suggestions?
      If one were to really go through the Suggestions and copy the important facts to JIRA, they could probably stick to threads with at least 20-30 replies.
      Originally posted by Ramsesx
      And in my experience it's worthless to make any suggestion.
      Well yeah. They have enough on their plate with the announced features of vB4.

Comment

• we_are_borg
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

That would not work Feldon23 you need to do everything else you will get comments like why this and not that, one thing you can do is threads with most posts first and work down.

Comment

• Pandemikk
          • Apr 2009
          • 3.7.x

I don't see the problem with allowing them to stay where they are now. If someone seriously wants a suggestion put through they can do so. Not only would converting all those threads to the tracker be a lot of work in itself, but then vB has to go through each of the now-JIRA suggestions and take action on them. They're already extremely behind on the tracker at the moment. Would adding all that workload be really worth it?
          Rap Battles & Hip Hop Music - LyricalThreats

Sure glad he's former staff. Didn't even bother to validate my license

Comment

• we_are_borg
            • Aug 2004
            • 4.2.X

Thats not an option in this case for the developers and management only stuff in Jira exist, staff of vBulletin will not true them that will the bug scrubbers do, so minimum impact on staff. Yes it will be worth because some ideas, features or improvement requests are very good. Even if there behind doing nothing does not make it go away.

Comment

• Paul M
              Former Lead Developer
              vB.Com & vB.Org
              • Sep 2004

If someone really thinks a suggestion still buried in the forums is current then they can copy it to Jira, but no one is going to go through 18,000 (or even 1,800) and add them, nor would it be even remotely sensible to do so.
              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• we_are_borg
                • Aug 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Paul M
                If someone really thinks a suggestion still buried in the forums is current then they can copy it to Jira, but no one is going to go through 18,000 (or even 1,800) and add them, nor would it be even remotely sensible to do so.
                So in other words people that have invested time into making does suggestions have done so for nothing because time and time again if its not in Jira it does not exist for developers. Way to go then close it and then well just forget about it so that nothing at all have to been done.

Comment

• Paul M
                  Former Lead Developer
                  vB.Com & vB.Org
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by we_are_borg
                  So in other words people that have invested time into making does suggestions have done so for nothing because time and time again if its not in Jira it does not exist for developers. Way to go then close it and then well just forget about it so that nothing at all have to been done.
                  This is the reason I suspect most staff simply dont bother responding on the forums anymore. If its not in Jira, it wont get looked at, you already know that, you have known that for at least 12+ months (if not longer) so other than yet another dig, what's your point.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                    • Aug 2004
                    • 4.2.X

This is the reason I suspect most staff simply dont bother responding on the forums anymore. If its not in Jira, it wont get looked at, you already know that, you have known that for at least 12+ months (if not longer) so other than yet another dig, what's your point.
                    I would start with learning to read what's written, while i am not native English it should be clear what i have written in post 22. Look at the post i commented on (your own) and then read again what i have written, it will come clear what i have written.

Comment

• Paul M
                      Former Lead Developer
                      vB.Com & vB.Org
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by we_are_borg
                      I would start with learning to read what's written
                      I did thanks, several times, before I answered

Comment

• we_are_borg
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.2.X

I did thanks, several times, before I answered
                        Next time i will type slower then you can keep up whats written.

Comment

• Alfa1
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 3.8.x

Paul, a lot of time and effort was invested into those threads. Im sure that the responses from me and Borg come from that. Not from taking 'another dig'. Please do not misunderstand us. We were already asked to copy threads from the old suggestions forum, to the 'new' suggestion forum. After we did so, that was closed as well. Now the suggestions should be in JIRA. I have started doing this and posted 87 as JIRA entries. But copy pasting all valid suggestions them one by one into JIRA is simply unfeasible. I would have continued if it were feasible. And doing it this way does not include valuable comments with ideas.

I have done a relatively small review of the existing 18.000 threads, and found that a substantial number of those suggestions are still valid and both the 1st post as the replies are should be directly imported into JIRA. There is a lot of very valuable feedback and suggestions in there that could improve the product if those suggestions would be in JIRA and considered by vbs.

Why not give a few dedicated people a 'post to JIRA' button or the function to edit the thread prefix? As I see it vbs would win valuable feedback. Or am I missing something? Please explain.
                          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• we_are_borg
                            • Aug 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Alfa1 i really do not care if this has to be done by hand but you need moderator rights and a prefix so you can track progress, i am willing to do this because the community deserves that the suggestions in there are been looked at and have the correct status. Even if this takes 3 to 4 months its better then to let it be forgotten.

Comment

• Paul M
                              Former Lead Developer
                              vB.Com & vB.Org
                              • Sep 2004

Paul, a lot of time and effort was invested into those threads.
                              Yes, I know, Im sure ive posted one or two of them - but the reality is that IB only deal with suggestions in Jira, and have made this quite clear over that last year or more - so going back over old ground with things like "all for nothing" or "close it and forget about it" are not going to help, or achieve anything.

I have started doing this and posted 87 as JIRA entries. But copy pasting all valid suggestions them one by one into JIRA is simply unfeasible. I would have continued if it were feasible. And doing it this way does not include valuable comments with ideas.
                              Excellent stuff.

I would think it only needs people to post a description of the idea, perhaps a few extra details, and a link to the orignal thread (where the comments can be read as required). I presume thats one of the points of keeping the original threads still accessible.

Why not give a few dedicated people a 'post to JIRA' button or the function to edit the thread prefix? As I see it vbs would win valuable feedback. Or am I missing something? Please explain.
                              "Post to Jira ?" Nice, but there is no such feature to give

I dont think it would be possible to allow anyone to edit prefixes without some sort of moderator power - Im also not really sure why you want to edit any - perhaps you can explain ?

Comment

• we_are_borg
                                • Aug 2004
                                • 4.2.X

Paul to get the topics in the suggestion forum into Jira will be hard work, staff members can't do it because they will be swamped and they have other issues that are higher on the priority list. What you need is the following to get the threads out of the suggestion forum into Jira.

1. A few people that do not mind working on voluntary base (i am one of them)
                                2. Set a prefix in AdminCP called "JIRA"
                                3. Give moderation rights in the Suggestion Forum so that you can edit the topic title and set the prefix
                                4. If absolutely needed and people get swamped give a few extra people Jira right so that they can set the status of the stuff that comes from Suggestion Forum to Jira at the correct level.

Lets say you will find a few people that are willing to work upon that its worth it, people then see two things. The first is that people are still committed to help vBulletin and second that vBulletin takes good care of the Suggestions in that forum.

The reason why a prefix so that you know you did that thread and let people see thats been worked upon.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...