Suggestions forum not allowing new threads?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pandemikk
    • Apr 2009
    • 3.7.x

Suggestions forum not allowing new threads?

There's no new thread button? Why is this?
    Rap Battles & Hip Hop Music - LyricalThreats

Sure glad he's former staff. Didn't even bother to validate my license
  • Paul M
    Former Lead Developer
    vB.Com & vB.Org
    • Sep 2004

Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• Pandemikk
      • Apr 2009
      • 3.7.x

Yeah... Followed a link to the sub-forum itself and didn't see that thread. Would be nice if that thread was also in the sub-forum itself to avoid confusion.

Comment

• Bram
        • May 2007

Or just remove the whole forum as it looks strange to have a top category forum locked

Comment

• Alfa1
          • Dec 2005
          • 3.8.x

It still contains 18.000 suggestions. Many of which are still valid and members have put a lot of effort into. Deleting such valuable information would not be wise.
          I buy 420 forums

Comment

• we_are_borg
            • Aug 2004
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
            It still contains 18.000 suggestions. Many of which are still valid and members have put a lot of effort into. Deleting such valuable information would not be wise.
            It should have been converted long time ago to Jira.

Comment

• Pandemikk
              • Apr 2009
              • 3.7.x

Originally posted by we_are_borg
              It should have been converted long time ago to Jira.
              Are you offering to go through the 18,000 threads and help convert them? Sure, PHP could do some of the work. But individual discretion is needed for further classifications into the JIRA system.

Much too much work for vBulletin as is.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                • Aug 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Pandemikk
                Are you offering to go through the 18,000 threads and help convert them? Sure, PHP could do some of the work. But individual discretion is needed for further classifications into the JIRA system.

Give me moderation rights in that forum and yes i will read and convert all to Jira.

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

We are not talking about just some threads there. Those are threads where people took a lot of effort of explaining and discussing how functions can be improved, what new functions should be added and how they should work. At least half of those threads are still valid. IB already asked us to port threads over to the 2nd suggestion forum. After that was partly done, they closed down that suggestion forum as well. Anyway, Im sure that the suggestion forum can be migrated into JIRA with the help of the community or by assigning interns.
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Pandemikk
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 3.7.x

Originally posted by we_are_borg
                    Give me moderation rights in that forum and yes i will read and convert all to Jira.
                    Assuming you manage to do 10 an hour for 10 hours a day, that's 100 a day. You'll be done in about 6 months. Let's be realistic. You'll do maybe 5, realize how much work it is and quit.

We are not talking about just some threads there. Those are threads where people took a lot of effort of explaining and discussing how functions can be improved, what new functions should be added and how they should work. At least half of those threads are still valid. IB already asked us to port threads over to the 2nd suggestion forum. After that was partly done, they closed down that suggestion forum as well. Anyway, Im sure that the suggestion forum can be migrated into JIRA with the help of the community or by assigning interns.
                    You either responded to the wrong person or did not understand my post. I am by no means suggesting trashing those support threads, but giving someone else a reality check.

Comment

• Alfa1
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 3.8.x

Assuming you manage to do 10 an hour for 10 hours a day, that's 100 a day. You'll be done in about 6 months. Let's be realistic. You'll do maybe 5, realize how much work it is and quit.
                      Sorry, but I do not agree with you. I posted ideas to 300 of those threads. WAB also contributed to many of those threads. This gives a lot more motivation than how you think it up. 10 an hour is also not realistic. 60 an hour seems more like it.

You either responded to the wrong person or did not understand my post. I am by no means suggesting trashing those support threads, but giving someone else a reality check.
                      I see no reality check there. By your line of reasoning posting 300 suggestions threads would be unrealistic as well.
                      I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Pandemikk
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 3.7.x

Sorry, but I do not agree with you. I posted ideas to 300 of those threads. WAB also contributed to many of those threads. This gives a lot more motivation than how you think it up. 10 an hour is also not realistic. 60 an hour seems more like it.

I see no reality check there. By your line of reasoning posting 300 suggestions threads would be unrealistic as well.
                        Okay, let's make it 60 an hour. Which is one per minute. At this rate we're going to assume a script has been set-up to enter the information in each thread to be submitted to the server and processed from there and then added to the database.

60 an hour for 10 hours is 600. That's about a month (30 days) of work for one person, assuming he works 10-hour shifts non-stop at 60 threads processed an hour for 30 consecutive days - no mistakes or errors. Quite frankly, I'd be amazed if anyone would put in this kind of work for free.

Again, I don't believe the threads should be deleted nor the forum. But converting all of them to the tracker would be a monumental amount of work.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                          • Aug 2004
                          • 4.2.X

Well you have a few choices with this leave it as it was and do nothing with it, this is easy and well its a shame of all the threads with good ideas to make the software better. The other choice is moderator rights a new prefix called Jira so that you can change the topic prefix when your done so you know what you have done and people can see the progress. It will be slow no question about it you need to read and copy paste to Jira then you also need to link to the thread in Jira for more information did that all ready with the CMS topic that was being discussed and that was harder it was growing every day.

I maybe complaining a lot about the state vBulletin is in but i would help where ever i can to make it better or help to solve problems if i can.

Comment

• Alfa1
                            • Dec 2005
                            • 3.8.x

Okay, let's make it 60 an hour. Which is one per minute. At this rate we're going to assume a script has been set-up to enter the information in each thread to be submitted to the server and processed from there and then added to the database.

60 an hour for 10 hours is 600. That's about a month (30 days) of work for one person, assuming he works 10-hour shifts non-stop at 60 threads processed an hour for 30 consecutive days - no mistakes or errors. Quite frankly, I'd be amazed if anyone would put in this kind of work for free.

Again, I don't believe the threads should be deleted nor the forum. But converting all of them to the tracker would be a monumental amount of work.
                            Mind that WAB already knows these threads well and it should be only a matter of changing a prefix. Yes, its still a lot of work. But its doable. Especially if a few people handle it.
                            I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Ramsesx
                              • Aug 2005
                              • 3.8.x

To be realistic who should read 18.000 suggestions? And in my experience it's worthless to make any suggestion.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...