Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew B.
    • Aug 2004

Latest Activity Display

I'm having a difficult time with the Latest Activity display. I think it would be a lot easier to find things if you put the topic first, and in bold. Then I can easily scan the topics and see what to read. In other words, the topic is more important than who said it.
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

The topic and who said it are equally as important for me. Each to their own.

Comment

• Andrew B.
      • Aug 2004

I think some of this depends on the type of forum. And when I am at at technical support forum or an information forum, I want to scan what's new and see if the topics are of interest to me. Once I find the topics, then it might interest me who said what. But the topic is the primary driver. That's why forums are arranged by topic categories.

OTOH, I can see a forum with a goal similar to Facebook putting the names first. In this setting who wrote what is the driver. But then again, isn't that what the blog feature is for.

Comment

• DemOnstar
        • Nov 2012

As I say, each to their own. Sometimes topic, sometimes personality.

Comment

• Andrew B.
          • Aug 2004

I don't find such a setting in my user control panel. So it's not really a case of each to his own. It appears to be under the control of the theme designer.

Comment

• DemOnstar
            • Nov 2012

I have a personal opinion and so do you.

The blog feature can be about any thing/subject/ etc, monologues.
            I browse around here looking at whatever is available but more towards what has been changed. i.e. topic additions, new threads, posts, comments. I look at all of them. However, I do pay more attention to the person that provided the input also. Again, sometimes topic, sometimes personality.

As regards your views on theme design, I and most others would suggest http://tracker.vbulletin.com/secure/...91&issuetype=4

Or something along those lines.

Your activity is appreciated.

Comment

• Andrew B.
              • Aug 2004

Yes, I'm aware that people have opinions. It is a basic understanding of life. My point is not about whether people have opinions; there will always be someone who disagree. My point is that the current arrangement is not consistent with the topic-centric tradition of forums. If IB wants to be more like Facebook and less like a forum, there are ways of accomplishing this without undermining long-standing forum practice.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Andrew B.
                Yes, I'm aware that people have opinions. It is a basic understanding of life. My point is not about whether people have opinions; there will always be someone who disagree. My point is that the current arrangement is not consistent with the topic-centric tradition of forums. If IB wants to be more like Facebook and less like a forum, there are ways of accomplishing this without undermining long-standing forum practice.
                If you have a license, please associate it with your forum account and post a suggestion in the Tracker.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Andrew B.
                  • Aug 2004

My name is no longer associated with a license. But as a staff member one one vb forum and a user on several others, I'm interested in its future. That's why I showed up during beta testing, and that's why I drop a comment from time to time.

Comment