Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DemOnstar
    • Nov 2012

Comments in threads are useful if

There is no way to follow up on a comment in a thread unless you can find it without going through the whole thread again and again and again. We don't want to be doing that. There is obviously a problem here. I personally like the feature but.......... it is a pain in the arse the way it is set up right now.

It records itself as a last post but opening the thread doesn't take you to what took place. It is a another scrolling bore.

• TLMD
    • Sep 2012
    • 5.6.X

My suggestion regarding comments is the following: I understand they should not work as a "real" post, but make it possible to interact with them! If there is for example a chance a quote a comment (with the quote getting transfered into a new post), then there is a chance to make use of comments.

Comment

• DemOnstar
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by TLMD
      My suggestion regarding comments is the following: I understand they should not work as a "real" post, but make it possible to interact with them! If there is for example a chance a quote a comment (with the quote getting transfered into a new post), then there is a chance to make use of comments.
      Agreed, this is also something that will help in development. I am quite fond of the idea but there is some tweaking to be done.

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

I agree with all of this. At the moment comments are a bit of a hindrance but with some tweaks they CAN be useful, I am convinced of that.

There are tracker entries open for various improvements to be made and I'm sure these will be looked at.

With the right tweaks they could be a killer feature within vBulletin. Appreciate many might disagree but that's based on the current implementation which is flawed.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
          With the right tweaks they could be a killer feature within vBulletin.
          Currently they are only killing off customers from this site.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• joeychgo
            • Mar 2004

With the right tweaks they could be a killer feature within vBulletin. Appreciate many might disagree but that's based on the current implementation which is flawed.

No, it will never be a killer feature. Even if working perfectly and all the problems are magically solved, they will only serve to take a topic in many directions. As far as I can tell the ONLY possible benefit I can see is if it is limited only to staff posting, and the post author gets a direct notification. Otherwise, this feature will serve to be a feature that ocmpletely disorganizes things.

Just dump the thing and move on. Dont spend time trying to fix it. Cut your losses and move on.
            Building my Automotive Forum Network...
            Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by joeychgo
              No, it will never be a killer feature. Even if working perfectly and all the problems are magically solved, they will only serve to take a topic in many directions. As far as I can tell the ONLY possible benefit I can see is if it is limited only to staff posting, and the post author gets a direct notification. Otherwise, this feature will serve to be a feature that ocmpletely disorganizes things. Just dump the thing and move on. Dont spend time trying to fix it. Cut your losses and move on.
              Some people may want that. The ability to comment on a specific post without derailing the flow of the topic can be useful.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• DemOnstar
                • Nov 2012

No, it will never be a killer feature. Even if working perfectly and all the problems are magically solved, they will only serve to take a topic in many directions. As far as I can tell the ONLY possible benefit I can see is if it is limited only to staff posting, and the post author gets a direct notification. Otherwise, this feature will serve to be a feature that ocmpletely disorganizes things. Just dump the thing and move on. Dont spend time trying to fix it. Cut your losses and move on.
                Not sure why you are being so negative about this. It is a feature that I like. Coupled with the ability to enable or disable comments, it leaves the choice open to the admin. They can take it or leave it. Choice is a good thing. Admittedly right now it is a little confusing and restricted but with the proper implementation, I think it could work.

And if you don't want to use it, just turn it off. But there are people who do want to use it. Why take that away from them?

Comment

• joeychgo
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DemOnstar
                  Not sure why you are being so negative about this. It is a feature that I like. Coupled with the ability to enable or disable comments, it leaves the choice open to the admin. They can take it or leave it. Choice is a good thing. Admittedly right now it is a little confusing and restricted but with the proper implementation, I think it could work. And if you don't want to use it, just turn it off. But there are people who do want to use it. Why take that away from them?
                  Short answer is - I prefer they dont waste any more programming time on something like this. Too many other things to fix.
                  Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                  Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• DemOnstar
                    DemOnstar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agreed, there are many things to fix as well as this one but, this has been implemented from the start I guess and removing it may just cause more problems than just fixing it. I guess it was part of the plan from the onset and functionality has been built in and around it.

And to be perfectly frank, I want to see it fixed along with all the other stuff. To exclude this from the grand scheme of fixing things is a minor detail and may just cause a hell of a lot more nonsense to deal with in the next coming months.