X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lynne
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by cellarius
    If turning off post comments would automatically remove existing comments this really would be a failure. Oh, wait...
    It doesn't remove them. If you turn off commenting, it leaves the existing ones but just doesn't allow you to comment any more.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Paul M
      Former Lead Developer
      vB.Com & vB.Org
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Mark.B
      ..they have in fact proved quite useful, particularly in the Q&A thread.
      I disagree completely.

They are useless even in that thread since you have to trawl backwards to find answers to questions you have already read.
      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• RobParker
        • Nov 2006

Is it just me or are the comments not working right?

Basically whenever someone comments on my post, it shows up in the comment area but ALSO shows up as a new post. Is that how it's meant to work? I assume not as that's stupid and makes no sense...

Comment

• RobParker
          • Nov 2006

(So image uploading is horrible as well. It refused to resize my image and made me resize it manually before uploading but then the embedded version is tiny, even when clicked)

Comment

• Wayne Luke
            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by RobParker
            Is it just me or are the comments not working right? Basically whenever someone comments on my post, it shows up in the comment area but ALSO shows up as a new post. Is that how it's meant to work? I assume not as that's stupid and makes no sense...
            That only happens when you follow a link to show only that post and its comments. It is very annoying but not as high priority issue wise as other things.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• AlexanderT
              • Mar 2003

There's at least one improvement request (because I raised it) for comments, relating to the fact that the "New/Unread" posts link needs to take you to that comment, if it is indeed a comment.
              What if there is a new comment, and then further down, perhaps on another page, a new reply? Where would the New/Unread link then bring me?

Comment

• cellarius
                • Aug 2005
                • 3.8.x

that's what rand() is for

Comment

• soniceffect
                  • Feb 2005
                  • 4.2.X

There's at least one improvement request (because I raised it) for comments, relating to the fact that the "New/Unread" posts link needs to take you to that comment, if it is indeed a comment.
                  That however will not fix the fundimental issues of having comments within a thread. Purely as the scenario above would be fine provided there has only been comments to one post since your last visited. The second you get a comment to post 1 and post 26 and post 30 etc you are taken to post 1 (since this is the first commented) and you are then left again trawling through the post to find comments, or you miss them completely.

IMO the comments system could actually make a forum look extremely quiet due to less content being posted at the end of a thread, and therefore making it look as if it has not been replied to. Dont get me wrong I can see situations where it "could" be useful, however only with granular control over it. Without full usergroup and forum permissions for who can use it the comment system is pointless IMO.
                  Husky Owners Forum - For all Siberian Husky Owners

Comment

• Deimos
                    • Oct 2002
                    • 3.8.x

Comments are great for Facebook or Blogs, but not for forum threads/posts.

Comment

• Paul M
                      Former Lead Developer
                      vB.Com & vB.Org
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Deimos
                      Its not often I agree with you, but yes, this is one of those times.
                      Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• joeychgo
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Deimos
                        Agree completely!!!!!
                        Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                        Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...