X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cellarius
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Post commenting

Please, pretty please turn off post comments. It's such a PITA to follow threads and find what's really new with those turned on, especially combined with those other messes in read-marknig and last post display. Please, pretty please.
  • beishe8
    • Oct 2005
    • 4.2.X

+1
    Please, please, please...

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Onur
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

NOOOO
      that would make the "Latest Activity" button senseless
      and you can not turn off 20% of the impressive 100+ new features

seroius, how can this ever be a usefull function if nobody use it on a live system
      "not yet"

Comment

• Ramsesx
        • Aug 2005
        • 3.8.x

Turning it off now would cause a lot of content being removed I guess.
        And isn't it more funny to search all day for the new content?

Comment

• beishe8
          • Oct 2005
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ramsesx
          True.
          Let the moderators remove them one by one.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• cellarius
            • Aug 2005
            • 3.8.x

If turning off post comments would automatically remove existing comments this really would be a failure. Oh, wait...

Comment

• Mark.B
              vBulletin Support
              • Feb 2004
              • 6.0.X

Post Comments can't currently be turned off due to a bug which would prevent people from posting at all.

Not sure whether they will actually be turned off when that bug is fixed, as they have in fact proved quite useful, particularly in the Q&A thread.
              MARK.B
              vBulletin Support
              ------------
              My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
              My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Deathjam
                Deathjam commented
                Editing a comment
                Isn't that something that QA should of picked up on?
            • cellarius
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

[Oh, Why am I not surprised that not even turning things off works?]

Those idiotic comments simply can't be as useful anywhere as they are annoying. Honestly, I can't see how Lawrence could not just answer in a normal post, quoting the post he's referring to. Please explain to me how it is useful to have to go through practically the whole thread all the time to scan for answers by Lawrence or reactions of others to his posts. If you're trying to hide the answers, you're on a good way, really.

Just that Lawrence does use comments to answer does not mean its useful, or advantageous, or the most practical thing to do. Actually, it was my endeavour to follow that very thread that led to this request. It just does not work. Period.
              Last edited by cellarius; Fri 8 Mar '13, 3:27am.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

There's at least one improvement request (because I raised it) for comments, relating to the fact that the "New/Unread" posts link needs to take you to that comment, if it is indeed a comment.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• zappaDPJ
                  • Jun 2007

Sounds good to me, I've read it all multiple times anyway.

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  Post Comments can't currently be turned off due to a bug which would prevent people from posting at all. Not sure whether they will actually be turned off when that bug is fixed, as they have in fact proved quite useful, particularly in the Q&A thread.
                  Useful in what way? It is actually possible to have a workable comment system, other forum platforms have it and it works but here it's just a waste of everybody's time unless you particularly enjoy re-reading old content time and time again in order to try and find the new stuff.

Comment

• cellarius
                    • Aug 2005
                    • 3.8.x

There's at least one improvement request (because I raised it) for comments, relating to the fact that the "New/Unread" posts link needs to take you to that comment, if it is indeed a comment.
                    Great, then there's a slight chance that in about half a year the comment syste MAY become halfway bearable. Can we turn it off until then?

Comment

• joeychgo
                      • Mar 2004

And how will it work when there are 2 comments and 2 new posts in a thread? Hmmmm???

Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                      Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• joeychgo
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by zappaDPJ
                        Sounds good to me, I've read it all multiple times anyway.
                        Post Comments can't currently be turned off due to a bug which would prevent people from posting at all. Not sure whether they will actually be turned off when that bug is fixed, as they have in fact proved quite useful, particularly in the Q&A thread.
                        Useful in what way? It is actually possible to have a workable comment system, other forum platforms have it and it works but here it's just a waste of everybody's time unless you particularly enjoy re-reading old content time and time again in order to try and find the new stuff.
                        That makes it more fun dont you think? Like an easter egg hunt!
                        Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                        Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• borbole
                          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by cellarius
                          Please, pretty please turn off post comments. It's such a PITA to follow threads and find what's really new with those turned on, especially combined with those other messes in read-marknig and last post display. Please, pretty please.

Completely agree with this. Post commenting is very useless imho.

Comment

• vijayninel
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 3.8.x

I agree. The comment system is making it difficult to browse threads and takes much more time. It is very frustrating at times.
                            www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...