X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • setishock
    • Jun 2005
    • 4.2.x

Just a little suggestion for trouble shooting threads

I imagine that every one that reponds to a request for help sees a lack of needed information. Like for exsample:
    Version number
    Suite or Classic
    Mods Installed
    Live or Test Site
    If Live > Link to site

It's a pain when not enough info is supplied or rather needed info is NOT supplied. I don't understand when a responder asks for a link they get nothing but some screen shots. What's wrong with having a look at your live forum? I'm rather proud of my handywork and like showing it off even when I come here to ask some silly question I should already know the answer to. BUT that's me.
    I find a very small amount of users of the trouble shooting forums bother to fill out their profile. The profile has a place to add a link to your forum. It's just a lot of people don't bother. In a lot of cases I have seen here, a peek at the forum makes the problem obvious and a useful answer can be given.

I'll cut to the last page here. I suggest a form that appears in the editor that is required to be filled out before a user can put any text in about their problem. This would force the user to supply a little bit of info that would help in solving the problem. Or at least prevent the answer given from being a WAG. When it comes to VB I'm not the brightest light on the marquee but I'm sure even the savvy would like to have a lot more info supplied about a problem than they are getting now.
    I'm done...
    BTW the spell checker button is not working. Click on it and nothing happens. My iespell works fine everywhere else.
  • Ramsesx
    • Aug 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by setishock
    BTW the spell checker button is not working. Click on it and nothing happens. My iespell works fine everywhere else.
    What spell checker button? Don't see this.

Comment

• setishock
      • Jun 2005
      • 4.2.x

I guess it doesn't show if you don't have an external spell checker installed in your browser.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Wayne Luke
        vBulletin Technical Support Lead
        • Aug 2000

We always encourage people to include as much information in their posts as possible. However requiring a specific template will be difficult because some people simply don't want the information known publicly. We need to respect that.

As for the spell check button, you need to enter this into JIRA if it hasn't been already. The only browser that uses it though is Internet Explorer. All other modern browsers have built-in spell check which does work.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• feldon23
          • Nov 2001
          • 3.7.x

Having a specific format for threads would further perpetuate the myth that these forums are where customers should go for technical support. While they may be able to get some help from staff or other customers, the 'official' method for support is to open a Support Ticket in the Members Area.

Comment

• Lynne
            Former vBulletin Support
            • Oct 2004

There is actually a reason why some users do not supply links to their sites. There are some rather... interesting... sites out there. Some, that if my hubby went through my browser history, would make him really go Hmmmmmm.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
            vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
            Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
            If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

• Ramsesx
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by setishock
              I guess it doesn't show if you don't have an external spell checker installed in your browser.
              Thanks, on Opera 11 there isn't a button. But as Wayne said, it's indeed on IE.

Comment

• erin
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                What spell checker button? Don't see this.
                Who can even spell anymore it seems we rely so much on the easy way doesnt it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...