Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vivamexico55
    • Mar 2005

When is VB moving to HTML5

One glaring issue on VB4 browsing with an iPad is threads with youtube videos (or any other kind, really), they disappear. Threads look empty, because iOS doesn't support flash

Most websites serve HTML5 versions of video now, when is VB going to do this?
  • fufu
    • Jan 2006
    • 3.8.x

No one knows. vBulletin keeps a tighten lips on anything.

Comment

• alfanexus
      • Dec 2008
      • 5.5.x

I know the problem, but isent the upcomming mobilestyle HTML5?

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

xhtml is fine, so is html 5. I don't know what we would be able to take advantage of by using html 5 in a vbulletin style, let alone converting the current style to html5.

Comment

• RS_Jelle
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by vivamexico55
          One glaring issue on VB4 browsing with an iPad is threads with youtube videos (or any other kind, really), they disappear. Threads look empty, because iOS doesn't support flash

Most websites serve HTML5 versions of video now, when is VB going to do this?
          There's already a bug report for that specific issue: http://tracker.vbulletin.com/browse/VBIV-11579
          Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
          DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4

Comment

• digitalpoint
            • Mar 2004
            • 4.1.x

Why do embedded YouTube videos work fine on my vBulletin forum on my iPad? I just fired it up to confirm and it does indeed work... for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOhgMAOrp0c&feature=player_embedded

I definitely didn't do anything special to make it work.. I just assumed YouTube serves an HTML5 version when you are on an iPad... no?
            Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
            Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Shamil.
              • Feb 2008
              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by digitalpoint
              Why do embedded YouTube videos work fine on my vBulletin forum on my iPad? I just fired it up to confirm and it does indeed work... for example:

I definitely didn't do anything special to make it work.. I just assumed YouTube serves an HTML5 version when you are on an iPad... no?
              It should be like this, and this is what usually happens. Sometimes YT sends a flash version for some reason though.
              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
              vBulletin Hosting and Services
              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Riasat
                • Aug 2006

The last official comment (~8 months ago) on this issue was that vB4 wont utilize html5. I don't know if anything changed since then. I'm not sure if the new style will be html5 or not.

Comment

• Leadcrow
                  • Oct 2010

Does the local youtube player have an html5 fallback? (like to webm, or for when flash player is not available or cant be installed)

Comment

• RS_Jelle
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by digitalpoint

No, with the current embed code (Flash only) there's no HTML5 fall back. But iOS has build-in native support for YouTube only, that's why it works on your iPad. It recognises the Flash embed code and converts it.

Though for other video services this isn't the case + HTML5 fall back is needed for other mobile devices without Flash support.

Originally posted by Leadcrow
                    Does the local youtube player have an html5 fallback? (like to webm, or for when flash player is not available or cant be installed)
                    vB currently uses the old Flash embed, which hasn't got it. There's a bug report to request an update to the new iframe based embed code which has HTML5 fall back.
                    Minatica.be - Belgian/Dutch computer and technology site
                    DownloadsII - Add a downloads database to your vB 4

Comment

• digitalpoint
                      • Mar 2004
                      • 4.1.x

Well *something* is doing it. I didn't change anything, and this thread is about making it for for iOS devices. Yet YouTube videos show just fine inline for me on my iPad... So not sure what you are seeing or want changed exactly?
                      Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                      Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

• Alfa1
                        • Dec 2005
                        • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Zachery
                        xhtml is fine, so is html 5. I don't know what we would be able to take advantage of by using html 5 in a vbulletin style, let alone converting the current style to html5.
                        Use html 5 tags to define content, type of content, non-content, etc. Maybe then vbulletin boards their top keywords would no longer be 'post', 'thread', 'forum', 'view', 'location', 'avatar', 'age', 'read', 'account', 'user', etc.
                        I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                          vBulletin Support
                          • Aug 2002
                          • 5.7.X

I think it depends on the YT video - I get some playing on the iPhone but not others. When I view them through the iPhone YT app, I still get the message that they cannot play.
                          Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                          - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• ashley76
                            • Jan 2008
                            • 3.8.x

I believes it depends on whether or not Youtube has converted it to HTML5. Now I could be wrong, but I thought they were working on moving away from flash for their videos and moving to HTML5... Don't quote me or anything...

Comment

• Dirt Bike Addict
                              • May 2010
                              • 4.1.x

Originally posted by Alfa1
                              Use html 5 tags to define content, type of content, non-content, etc. Maybe then vbulletin boards their top keywords would no longer be 'post', 'thread', 'forum', 'view', 'location', 'avatar', 'age', 'read', 'account', 'user', etc.
                              I see that I'm not the only one with that issue.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...