X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bram
    • May 2007

Spam attacks

Not sure if you guys suffer from the same but since a few months we are having a serious spam issue.

Before we had absolutely zero spam because of our human verification question. For some reason these bots (or humans) know how to bypass this question and simply fill in the correct answer (what is the fist letter of the word bla bla bla etc etc you know ).

Do you guys have the same on your boards?
  • Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager
    • Jul 2000

Please see this thread for things you can do to fight spam: How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• beishe8
      • Oct 2005
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Bram
      Not sure if you guys suffer from the same but since a few months we are having a serious spam issue.

Before we had absolutely zero spam because of our human verification question. For some reason these bots (or humans) know how to bypass this question and simply fill in the correct answer (what is the fist letter of the word bla bla bla etc etc you know ).

Do you guys have the same on your boards?
      No,we don't.
      Create some new questions,the answers should be more than one character long.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Bram
        • May 2007

We have always used the "can you spell check" before. I have now removed this custom profile field and tried to enable recaptcha. Problem it doesnt show up on the registration page at all. (same for the other human verification stuff).

Do i need to revert something?

Comment

• Bram
          • May 2007

problem solved: i unticked the human verification option once under settings, works now thanks

Comment

• BirdOPrey5
            • Jul 2008

recaptcha is far worse than Q & A in stopping bots.

Comment

• Bram
              • May 2007

Recaptcha eventually didnt work. Now back to multiple questions and doesn't help either.

Maybe I should make a question like: Are you a human spammer from India? And "Yes" would instaban the account permanently.

Seriously, this spam is getting worser by the day.

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Recaptcha eventually didnt work. Now back to multiple questions and doesn't help either.

Maybe I should make a question like: Are you a human spammer from India? And "Yes" would instaban the account permanently.

Seriously, this spam is getting worser by the day.
                If you stick to your system of "(what is the fist letter of the word bla bla bla etc etc you know)" than make it a little more difficult:
                Question: What are the last three characters of the word hallelujah.
                Answer:jah

No quotes,no highlighting of the word.

Comment

• Bram
                  • May 2007

I can make mathematic questions that even Dr Sheldon Cooper himself can't solve and they will still come through

Saw tht vbulletin.org was affected by it also last night. Must be human spammers. Is there any legal actions an admin can take against this?

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

You would have to consult a lawyer to determine if there are legal actions available to you.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• beishe8
                      • Oct 2005
                      • 4.2.X

I can make mathematic questions that even Dr Sheldon Cooper himself can't solve and they will still come through
                      Unfortunately there is no software on the market which would prevent spamming in an open forum,without some efforts to reduce it.

Comment

• 1QuickSI
                        • Oct 2001

vbulletin really really needs to work with the various blacklist sites when handeling user registrations. This modification has been a godsend for me as I get roughyl 1,000 SPAM registrations every 3 days

-----------------------------------------------------------
                        Running custom version of vBulletin based on v4.2.5
                        PHP 7.4.14 :: MariaDB 10.5.8

Comment

• Bram
                          • May 2007

I modders can make such modifications why can't IB make it standard for each forum software. Got absolutely zero spam on my other forum. Really don't get it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                            vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                            • Aug 2000

There are a lot of things in the works at any given time and each thing has to have priority set. Now each customer has their own priority on what needs to change or get fixed. The developers try to do their best but can't simply work on everything at once. If it isn't in Jira, then add it. It will get looked at and could be included in the future. Until then, the system was designed so addons like the one above could be created to fill those holes and help everyone reach fill their #1 priority. I suggest using it if it helps you. You'll be a step ahead in the game.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Muddles
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 3.8.x

I just block all countries except the ones I have members in with an htaccess file. Don't get any spam at all now

Comment