Is the price for 2nd License legitimate?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zachery
    Former vBulletin Support
    • Jul 2002

Try now, if its still not working let me know.

Comment

• Freezerator
      • May 2002
      • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      That is correct. There is no discount for a second license and never has been. Not sure you you mean about not getting support and I don't understand what it is you are asking.
      He does have a point:

Simpel:

On your first license you pay for:
      1. Use of Software
      2. Ticketing Support
      3. Free Updates/Upgrades for the same version.
      On your second license you pay for:
      1. Use of Software
      2. Ticketing Support
      3. Free Updates/Upgrades for the same version.
      Why pay for something that you are already getting? That's ticketing support. You are paying twice for support but it is impossible to use it double. You paying for a service that you already have.

It would be fair if the second license include a discount for the fact of support is not possible twice.
      Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

• Zachery
        Former vBulletin Support
        • Jul 2002

Ticket support is included in the suite, ticket support is not included in the standard forum license.

Comment

• Ace
          • Apr 2004
          • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Freezerator
          Why pay for something that you are already getting? That's ticketing support. You are paying twice for support but it is impossible to use it double. You paying for a service that you already have.
          No you aren't. You get support for the licensed instance.

In your proposed example: What happens if you sell the first license? Should your support on the second one be removed because you were only getting it under the terms of the first one? Who's going to pay for the overhead to check that kind of thing? etc etc.
          My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
          vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Zachery
            Try now, if its still not working let me know.
            Yep, works now.
            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Zachery
              Former vBulletin Support
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
              Yep, works now.
              You had a problem with your converted license, it was set to inactive. I fixed that.

One support contract be it a suite or a ticket support contract will cover your support needs as a whole.
              You are paying for the license to use the software, while support is included in some packages, their pricing does not reflect it.

Comment

• Ace
                • Apr 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                One support contract be it a suite or a ticket support contract will cover your support needs as a whole.
                Sorry to pick at this man, but... are you saying that if you have support on an active license, it will apply to any other license, even Forum Only, without the support fee?
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• Zachery
                  Former vBulletin Support
                  • Jul 2002

If you have one suite, or one ticket support license, it covers as many licenses as are in your account.

Comment

• Ace
                    • Apr 2004
                    • 4.2.X

That is good to know, thank you sir.

Comment

• Reeve of Shinra
                      • Sep 2001

As many gripes as I have with vb4 at the moment, they are in the right on this one.

The support provided covers a single installation. Not all installations.

If I buy a forum and set it up on host # 1 and run into an issue, I get support, etc. That support has a cost. That cost is factored into the price of the license. So if you expect the support from license # 1 to cover you on issues with license # 2, then there is cost that isn't being covered. by example, if I buy 5 routers, and only buy maintenance on 4, why would cisco cover me on the 5th? They got the other 4th working after all.

Now, ... there are support contracts. Those support contracts usually detail what is covered. Either x amount of devices or a breakdown of hours included or charges for hours over. But that's NOT what we we were sold. Some of those 10k a month forums do that but that's outside of my price range.
                      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• TheLastSuperman
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra
                        As many gripes as I have with vb4 at the moment, they are in the right on this one.

If I buy a forum and set it up on host # 1 and run into an issue, I get support, etc. That support has a cost. That cost is factored into the price of the license. So if you expect the support from license # 1 to cover you on issues with license # 2, then there is cost that isn't being covered. by example, if I buy 5 routers, and only buy maintenance on 4, why would cisco cover me on the 5th? They got the other 4th working after all.

Now, ... there are support contracts. Those support contracts usually detail what is covered. Either x amount of devices or a breakdown of hours included or charges for hours over. But that's NOT what we we were sold. Some of those 10k a month forums do that but that's outside of my price range.
                        Agree - IMO sometimes people don't consider all the business aspects, yes your considering your business aspects and assets but not others so they do have a right to charge for support on the 2nd license

Former vBulletin Support Staff
                        Hacked recently? See my blog post "Recovering a Hacked vBulletin Site".
                        Thinking outside the box? Need modification support? Visit www.vBulletin.org and have at it!

Comment

• AdrianH
                          • Sep 2007

Well I live in Europe and have never heard of any rules about discounts for multiple products being required at all whether the goods/purchases are physical or digital/virtual/service.

Whinge away Maria, you are incorrect.

The support is as has been said on a per license basis, buy two cars/PC's/TV's whatever and see if your dealer will only charge you for servicing one ...........

Sellers can choose to offer discounts for multiple purchases to encourage sales or not.

Comment

• Ace
                            • Apr 2004
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra

Read Zachery's post, 2 above yours. One support contract covers all licenses.

Comment

• Paul M
                              Former Lead Developer
                              vB.Com & vB.Org
                              • Sep 2004

There is no such rule Maria - they can charge what they like.

There is no requirement to offer a discount at all, be thankful they do.
                              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...