Legal vBulletin Owner - Verification Stamp on vB.com or vB.org Profile page...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WendolM
    • Nov 2009
    • 3.8.x

Legal vBulletin Owner - Verification Stamp on vB.com or vB.org Profile page...

For some time I've thought of about this; and questioned, as to why vBulletin Solutions or Internet Brands don't have a 'Verification' approval stamp/image applied to all Legal owners of vBulletin software to their vBulletin.com and vBulletin.org Profiles page.

For many Hosts, this is essential criteria to make sure they only have legal software on their Servers, and there's really no where apart from email, that you can quickly verify that you are the rightful legal owner of a vBulletin product.

Please can you implement this?
  • pspmodandcfw
    Banned
    • Oct 2008

they do this to prevent targetting/mini modding [whatever you call it] you could just submit the site to vbulletin for analysis.

Comment

• ThorstenA
      • Nov 2004
      • 4.0.x

On JIRAs profile pages you can see if the license is active, but not if it is legal

Comment

• KarlHetteridge
        • Oct 2010
        • 4.0.x

I would find this incredibly useful for verifying site staff applicants at StyleOrigin currently hold a valid license, wouldn't have to be much, a little icon like the one I am attaching would work well enough. (I made it from the t-shirt print of the vBHero.)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	verified.png
Views:	1
Size:	963 Bytes
ID:	3680524

Comment

• TheVisitors
          Banned
          • May 2010
          • 4.1.x

I'd support the general idea of some way for people to verify quickly if the forum they were visiting were indeed valid. Such as a search able database for example where someone could come here (on vBulletin.com) & do a quick check on the domain.

Comment

• beishe8
            • Oct 2005
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by WendolM
            For many Hosts, this is essential criteria to make sure they only have legal software on their Servers,
            When a software is illegal AND it is reported to them they can simply shut down the site.
            Without reports hosts do not have the time to check every single software if it was legal or not.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• FreshFroot_
              • Jul 2005
              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by beishe8
              When a software is illegal AND it is reported to them they can simply shut down the site.
              Without reports hosts do not have the time to check every single software if it was legal or not.
              Usually that is the best way.

I don't get this bogus Stamp thing. The system here is developed well in terms of finding legal members and staff.

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by FreshFroot_
                I don't get this bogus Stamp thing.
                We have already a call home function when accessing the ACP.
                That would be another call home,anytime someone (could be even just a spider)would access the forum.
                I don't think that the vB server would be too happy to serve it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Aug 2002
                  • 5.7.X

If a hosting company contacts us with the License number and/or URL, we can confirm whether it's a valid copy.

Of course, it's better if they use their own email rather than Hotmail/Gmail...
                  Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                  - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

• Shamil.
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Trevor Hannant
                    If a hosting company contacts us with the License number and/or URL, we can confirm whether it's a valid copy.

Of course, it's better if they use their own email rather than Hotmail/Gmail...
                    I was in contact with Howard/Pirate Reports about an automatic system. What provisions does vBulletin have in place to support automatic submissions? I don't want to have to be sending out multiple emails.
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• WendolM
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 3.8.x

you're right, emails can be a drag, and often get overlooked, so to save vBulletin's Support staff and Hosting companies time, it's best to implement my suggestion...surely it can't be that hard?

Comment

• TheVisitors
                        Banned
                        • May 2010
                        • 4.1.x

Originally posted by WendolM
                        you're right, emails can be a drag, and often get overlooked, so to save vBulletin's Support staff and Hosting companies time, it's best to implement my suggestion...surely it can't be that hard?
                        I agree. It would be a lot easier for us to be able to go here & just type in a domain name & see if the site is valid.

Comment

• Zachery
                          Former vBulletin Support
                          • Jul 2002

If you think a site is invalid, send an email to us. It is as simple as that.

Comment

• Shamil.
                            • Feb 2008
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Zachery
                            If you think a site is invalid, send an email to us. It is as simple as that.
                            On one of the hosting businesses I have, there was a period of time whereby I had loads of signups with vBulletin forums in the period of two weeks. If I had to go through the lot, I would have ended up submitting over 250 in the time. The time response would be greater, and getting a DMCA out of the blue is not how we'd want things to happen.
                            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                            vBulletin Hosting and Services
                            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• FreshFroot_
                              • Jul 2005
                              • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Shamil.
                              On one of the hosting businesses I have, there was a period of time whereby I had loads of signups with vBulletin forums in the period of two weeks. If I had to go through the lot, I would have ended up submitting over 250 in the time. The time response would be greater, and getting a DMCA out of the blue is not how we'd want things to happen.
                              Well stop whining. This is how it's always been.

Maybe you need to have a DMCA or abuse emails setup. And well if you get an email be ready to take action or follow through with it.

I don't see how hard or in your case scary it is to get a DMCA for a client of yours. All you have to do is forward that DMCA to your client and give them the week to comply or suspend their account.

Your just making it harder on yourself by asking the staff to change something on their end.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...