Internet Brands Inc to be acquired by Hellman & Friedman Stockholders for $640million

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinky
    • Mar 2001
    • 1.1.x

Originally posted by the geek
    Regardless... it spells "change" and unless you are happy with where vB has been since the Jelsoft sale, I would expect more optimism.

People treat the words "business" and "profit" as dirty or something to be ashamed of. Yet they treat their own income as earned. Personal income is profit from your business relationship with your employer or your clients. If you can earn more profit working at another firm, it should be championed, not thought of as dirty and it certainly shouldn't be publicly criticised.

Where it IS wrong is when people are swindled or taken advantage of in order to profiteer from their misfortune. Sure there are a lot of businesses that do this - but I would wager that there are more individuals that do this in life.

So. Back to my original point. Change is good if you are unhappy with what you currently have.
    I don't know. Be careful what you wish for. This new group reflects management that is paying premium above what IB paid for vBulletin. I don't believe that I read anything in the press release about IB's development division, mostly about the communities. We could be in for another breakup and sale, more lost time, more people changing seats and some investors accelerating revenues by introducing vBulletin 5 sooner than expected.

I was starting to get more comfortable with Fabian, Adrian, Zoltan and the team they were developing. That's I think the change people were looking for... we'll see.
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

• punchbowl
      • Nov 2006
      • 4.0.x

I didn't see much change when ib initially took over. But when they started thinking about selling it then Fabian arrived and work seemed to start. Hopefully they won't get to 4.1 and relax their way to the 5 presale next xmas.

Comment

• we_are_borg
        • Aug 2004
        • 4.2.X

Now we can wait and see what will happen with vBulletin there a few possibilities, they can sell vBulletin to an interested party, they can develop it further and improve it and sell licenses and support or the pull the plug out of it. Now we wait until we hear more about this take over and why they did take Internet Brands over for what main activity did they go for.

Comment

• Fabian Schonholz
          Former Vice President of Technology
          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by zelnik
          Thank god for this post I was tired of the end of the world or XF fanboy approach people have on this thread.

We're all sick and tired of IB's approach to vBulletin and even if the soon to be owners decide the product isn't worth the headaches or profit it makes they will sell it to someone smaller who may take some pride in the product.

Even if the worst happens and the product dies... There are other alternatives out there, sure we will all have to pay out yet again but at least it will be a less stressful experience than the IB one as there certainly isn't any worst run forum software out there at the moment.

However it does amuse me greatly that there has been no "everything will be fine" post from the saviour of vBulletin namely Fabian yet.... Though I suspect he is more interested in his own future than ours at this time?
          The savior of vBulletin?? wow!! That is a big expectation to fulfill

Comment

• Shamil.
            • Feb 2008
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Fabian Schonholz
            How's the alpha going?
            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
            vBulletin Hosting and Services
            Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• jmurrayhead
              • Sep 2006

You don't have to tell us that
              No...No...Meester vBulletin, he no work right.

Comment

• Deimos
                • Oct 2002
                • 3.8.x

It's a shame you don't spend your time answering the important questions, rather than making silly, off the mark replies like this.

Comment

• robdog
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Lizard King
                  So does Kier , Mike and Scott are the only developers that can develop a forum software ?
                  Yup, that is exactly what he is saying... Of course not, but they were/are QUALITY DEVELOPERS. Something we have not seen in a while on this project.
                  47. Software of the kind released by XL generally takes several years to research and develop, as did vBulletin. Based, in part, on the speed in which the XenForo product was released slightly more than a year after Darby and Sullivan left VBSI, VBSI is informed and believes, and on that basis alleges, that Darby and Sullivan retained Jelsoft's and VBSI's proprietary materials obtained during their employment by Jelsoft pertaining to existing and future versions of vBulletin ...

Comment

• IB Adrian
                    Former Senior Operations Manager
                    • Jul 2008
                    • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Sir Nick
                    Any staff changes?
                    No - the same staff (management and development) will be around.
                    Adrian

Comment

• Shamil.
                      • Feb 2008
                      • 4.2.X

Any policy changes we should be aware of, no matter how small?

Comment

• AlexanderT
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by robdog
                        Yup, that is exactly what he is saying... Of course not, but they were/are QUALITY DEVELOPERS. Something we have not seen in a while on this project.
                        Qualify developers + with a clear perspective on how forum software should work. They treated vB as their baby, just as Kier + Mike treat XF as their baby now. Find the right developers who feel the same about vB and its future, and you'll have a quality product again. Fail to find them, and you'll see nothing much different from vB 4.0.

Comment

• vijayninel
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Deimos
                          It's a shame you don't spend your time answering the important questions, rather than making silly, off the mark replies like this.
                          It was not a silly reply, it was a very humorous one. He does try to give answers to important questions, but as he has said before he cant answer all the questions and some questions have no answers. More than his answers it will be important for him to show some good work. Stop jumping at his throat all the time.
                          www.erodov.com :cool:

Comment

• IB Adrian
                            Former Senior Operations Manager
                            • Jul 2008
                            • 3.6.x

Originally posted by Shamil.
                            Any policy changes we should be aware of, no matter how small?
                            Hellman and Freidman to the best of my knowledge has not expressed any desire at this point in time to change vBulletin's development or policies

Should that change at all, communication will be forthcoming, and bear in mind, this is all pending the transaction to be approved by our shareholders and clears regulatory processes
                            Adrian

Comment

• Shamil.
                              • Feb 2008
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by IB Adrian
                              Hellman and Freidman to the best of my knowledge has not expressed any desire at this point in time to change vBulletin's development or policies

Should that change at all, communication will be forthcoming, and bear in mind, this is all pending the transaction to be approved by our shareholders and clears regulatory processes
                              Thanks Adrian - that is very, very reassuring to know, although I am well aware it is subject to change.

Comment

• ruven
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by IB Adrian
                                No - the same staff (management and development) will be around.
                                You should hope, right?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...