Internet Brands Inc to be acquired by Hellman & Friedman Stockholders for $640million

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Hmmm...

"Scott A. Friedman has been Chief Financial Officer of Internet Brands, Inc. since August 29, 2008"

And the company buying them is called Hellman & Friedman.

Coincidence?
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• callmejohn
      Banned
      • Sep 2010
      • 4.0.x

what's this "other" announcement people are mentioning, just outta interest?

edit: forgot to add, this is going to end in disaster.

Comment

• VonDoom
        • Dec 2008
        • 3.8.x

You guys are all talking like you didnt see this coming for a long time!

Comment

• Sir Nick
          • Sep 2009
          • 3.8.x

Any staff changes? (Expects many staff to leave and come)

O and i saw a piece of the roof fall.

Comment

• EPCZ_Jack
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by callmejohn
            what's this "other" announcement people are mentioning, just outta interest?

edit: forgot to add, this is going to end in disaster.
            Xenforo pricing and other info was released.
            Also known as Jack12 on vbulletin.org

Comment

• callmejohn
              Banned
              • Sep 2010
              • 4.0.x

Originally posted by EPCZ_Jack
              Xenforo pricing and other info was released.
              -.- i've been posting it up on the xenforo boards i cant beleive i was stupid enough not to realise wat was meant lmao

Comment

• steven s
                • Jul 2004
                • 3.8.x

They are a busy company.
                ...steven
                www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

• smirkley
                  • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Mark.B
                  However, I've yet to see an venture capitalist/private equity company not screw around with what they've bought.

Their very reason to exist is to strip everything down to the bare minimum and sell it on at a profit.

I'd be amazed if anything substantial gets invested into vBulletin now.
                  It doesnt sound like that is their style or objective to me.

Our objective is to invest long-term equity capital to support the strategic and financial objectives of outstanding management teams operating businesses with defensible positions in growing markets.
                  Instead it sounds like they are buying a position in a growth market.
                  Why wouldnt IB sell, the offering was 43 % more than than the actual stock value.
                  They apparently see more value than the markets, at least in the future.

Comment

• callmejohn
                    Banned
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 4.0.x

Originally posted by smirkley
                    Why wouldnt IB sell, the offering was 43 % more than than the actual stock value.
                    they wouldn't offer 43% above stock value if they didnt see IB as a profitable investment. If we're agreed that this is the case, then your initial statement "why wouldnt ib sell" is invalid as if they are able to make said profits then there's no need for IB to sell out in the first place.

hopefully that makes sense, 3am here

Comment

• maidos
                      • Jul 2006

can be good or bad when a private invesstment buys up a coompany. Look at theplanet.com as an example who was a good hosting company but now lost tons of customers duiring the time due to the wrong management from the tops. in the end the team who started theplanet left the company and started a new hosting company called softlayer which was great success due to their services and network stability. Ironically the softlayer got bought up by the same private investment group who degraded theplanets service

Comment

• Scott
                        • Apr 2001
                        • 3.7.x

This certainly is an interesting turn.

I can see this going one of two ways. The new management hires some sharp coders and pixel wranglers and produces a "top shelf" totally supported product for the serious website/community developer that is mobile friendly by default; or they go cheap by "glossing up" the product with a trendy skin and other clickable doodads in attempt to flip it and get it off the books.

Comment

• joeychgo
                          • Mar 2004

My guess is that vBulletin will be sold off. These sales will be used to pay off purchase debt. Prepare for a new owner. Just my opinion.
                          Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                          Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum - Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum

Comment

• sadikb
                            • Mar 2009

Somehow I don't get a good feeling about this... Our faith in VB's future was invested through Adrian and fabian and what they have been saying are their plans about VB. Now what if Adrian and fabian in due course of time feel the same frustration as Scott and Mike did after IB's acquisition of Jelsoft. In scott's own words from his blog,

With creative control of the project moved to LA and out of the hands of the team that had been overseeing it for the past six years it was hard not to feel like a simple code monkey. I was no longer passionate about the product and had been that way for months. This accompanied by the change in direction of the product and priorities of the company resulted in my resignation in May just before php|tek. My final day at Jelsoft was June 19th 2009.
                            So what if the new owners of IB implement something similar on people at the helm of vB currently? And if Fabian and other current developers were to switch where would that leave Vbulletin with a new team of developers again? What one has to understand is that unlike M&A in other sectors where business continuity is not so much an issue, software development requires continuity.

I just hope these fears do not materialize and Hellman provides a better development and growth environment for the sake of vBulletin. But somehow the gut feeling is otherwise...

I think us end customers in the long run will have to now very seriously look at alternatives... As always a succesful, well functioning site does not really need a change of platform, but when you want some change to your site, i am afraid only time will tell if it will make sense to remain with vBulletin.
                            Owner: Oracle Forums - General Discussion Forums.

Comment

• Mark.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Feb 2004
                              • 6.0.X

Originally posted by smirkley
                              It doesnt sound like that is their style or objective to me.
                              Yes, because everything a company puts on its website in the form of marketing guff is always 100% true.
                              MARK.B
                              vBulletin Support
                              ------------

Comment

• Mark.B
                                vBulletin Support
                                • Feb 2004
                                • 6.0.X

Honestly. Some people have clearly NO idea how business works.

Here are some tips:

1) The announcement was made yesterday. The new owners will make its announcements via proper business channels. Asking things like "Will there be staff changes?" and "What are your plans for vBulletin?" the same day as the announcement and in this forum is pointless. Even if the new owners know, they aren't going to suddenly sign up on here and tell you! Internet Brands staff will have had very little information beyond the press release we have all seen, and anyone from the new owners is unlikely to know or care that this forum even exists.

2) Businesses exist to make a profit. "They will invest in the product because they will want to make it better and put things right". No no no no no no no no!!!!!!! They want to make a return on their money. They will ONLY ONLY ONLY invest in the product if there is profit in it for them.

Some people seem to have this odd idea that businesses exist to serve customers, they don't, the ones that APPEAR to, do so because it's part of their business plan to make a profit.

Honestly some people need to get into the real world. Fine if you don't understand the realities of the commercial world, but if not then be quiet and don't make fools of yourselves.
                                MARK.B
                                vBulletin Support
                                ------------

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...