Internet Brands Inc to be acquired by Hellman & Friedman Stockholders for $640million

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COBRAws
    • May 2005
    • 3.8.x

We dont care, we care about the updates and bugfixes that arent happening as we are used to happen.

Comment

• Mark.B
      vBulletin Support
      • Feb 2004
      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by Paul M
      Oh Lordy .....

I wish I could see something good coming from this, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.
      Occasionally, Paul agrees with me.
      MARK.B
      vBulletin Support
      ------------
      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• goblues4
        • Sep 2004
        • 3.8.x

Speechless, not sure what to say. Hopefully it works out....

Comment

• tickedon
          • Jan 2004
          • 3.0.0 Release Candidate 3

Originally posted by Mark.B
          Thank goodness for a certain OTHER announcement made elsewhere today.
          I saw that announcement first, then I came here and saw this - and yep, the other announcement came out AFTER. I have a suspicion one may have led to the other
          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

• IDN
            • Apr 2002
            • 3.5.x

Originally posted by tickedon
            I saw that announcement first, then I came here and saw this - and yep, the other announcement came out AFTER. I have a suspicion one may have led to the other
            Which? The one where the board of directors are being investigated for being money grubbing scoundrels and trying to screw their stock holders?

+1 to the "Won't renew my vB license at the next renewal" resume.
            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Neal-UK
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by IB Adrian
              Mark,
              Did you look at who this equity firm currently invests in, and has invested in before making such a broad brushed statement?

Best,
              Adrian
              Mmm, don't see community software there on that list.
              [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

• beishe8
                • Oct 2005
                • 4.2.X

Oh Lordy .....

I wish I could see something good coming from this, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.
                What could be bad from this,Paul?
                ATM vB4 is not advancing anywhere,we all know that.

#1 The new management will inject some money for coders and vB will advance.
                #2 vB will be sold,the new owner will make it profitable.
                We can only win.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Mark.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  • Feb 2004
                  • 6.0.X

Originally posted by beishe8

We can only win.
                  What makes you think a firm of venture capitalists, intent on maximising returns quickly, are going to spend MORE money? They will spend LESS.
                  MARK.B
                  vBulletin Support
                  ------------
                  My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                  My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• AWS
                    • Apr 2000
                    • 5.2.x

Lets see what the future brings. Mergers and acquisitions happen all the time. Some do turn out well. Most don't. They more than likely will splinter the company into a few parts and then keep what they believe will be profitable for future sale and sell off the parts they think will lose value right away. If the value for the dollar isn't in the whole they could sell it in pieces. For instance, they could sell the rights to vbulletin software to a software house or just scuttle it if they think the value in the future will be less than it is now.

In either case you'll know the future on vbulletin within a year or less. Notice how IB brought in their people shortly after they took over? The same will happen again only this time it might not turn out the same. Rarely if ever does a second buyout, especially by an equity firm, ever result in anything good.
                    Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

• Dr. J
                      • May 2009
                      • 3.8.x

So to the current vB Staff:

Are you job hunting know, if you weren't before?

Comment

• Paul M
                        Former Lead Developer
                        vB.Com & vB.Org
                        • Sep 2004

We can only win.
                        On what evidence do you base either of those theories ?
                        Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• whitetigergrowl
                          • Jun 2004
                          • 5.1.x

We can only win.
                          Isn't that what some people put on repeat after IB bought out VB, and a year later either are still parroting it OR are pretty unhappy? Trying to think positive about something still doesn't change the reality of it. At this point it's anyones guess about what the future holds for VB. Sure looks foggy thats for sure. This will mean in all likliehood a gradual new mgmt structure and other internal changes shortly after it goes into effect. That is if the law doesn't kill 'em first.
                          Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Mon 20 Sep '10, 3:32pm.

Comment

• beishe8
                            • Oct 2005
                            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Mark.B
                            What makes you think a firm of venture capitalists, intent on maximising returns quickly, are going to spend MORE money? They will spend LESS.
                            IB failed making money from vB without investing money into it.
                            The new owner might have the brain to do it on the other way.

On what evidence do you base either of those theories ?
                            What evidence do you need for theories?

"Oh Lordy" :Theory #3 Let vB collapse?Lose millions without any serious effort to save them?Didn't IB did just that?
                            I don't think that the new company will make the same mistake.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Lizard King
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2004
                              • 3.6.x

I checked around the company a little bit and they are pretty successfull. They seem to know how to turn things and improve things. I hope this will happen with vBulletin also. We just have to wait and see.

Comment

• robdog
                                • Oct 2005

"Oh Lordy" :Theory #3 Let vB collapse?Lose millions without any serious effort to save them?Didn't IB did just that?
                                I don't think that the new company will make the same mistake.
                                IB's main focus is the automotive industry and I am sure the new owner bought IB MAINLY for their position in the automotive industry.

At the end of the day, VB is going to suffer. How do I know? It is what I would do if I was buying the company, at a premium. I would have to dump millions into VB to turn it around and make it stable/profitable, not going to happen for such little return. OR I can dump millions into the space that is already making $$$ and have it make even MORE $$$. (the auto space)

It is just a sad day... VB 4.1 is going to be delayed and the "other solution" will be usable 6-12 months after release. (I need a CMS)
                                47. Software of the kind released by XL generally takes several years to research and develop, as did vBulletin. Based, in part, on the speed in which the XenForo product was released slightly more than a year after Darby and Sullivan left VBSI, VBSI is informed and believes, and on that basis alleges, that Darby and Sullivan retained Jelsoft's and VBSI's proprietary materials obtained during their employment by Jelsoft pertaining to existing and future versions of vBulletin ...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...