Internet Brands Inc to be acquired by Hellman & Friedman Stockholders for $640million

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark.B
    vBulletin Support
    • Feb 2004
    • 6.0.X

Originally posted by IB Adrian
    Mark,
    Did you look at who this equity firm currently invests in, and has invested in before making such a broad brushed statement?

Best,
    Adrian
    I confess I don't know most of those companies being in the UK.

However, I've yet to see an venture capitalist/private equity company not screw around with what they've bought.

Their very reason to exist is to strip everything down to the bare minimum and sell it on at a profit.

I'd be amazed if anything substantial gets invested into vBulletin now.

My only hope is that they decide they don't wish to be involved in the software development market and flog vBulletin Solutions in isolation to someone who does.

The fact that Internet Brands created a new separate US-based company to run vBulletin suggests this might have been in someone's thinking at some point.
    MARK.B
    vBulletin Support
    ------------
    My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
    My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Shamil.
      • Feb 2008
      • 4.2.X

There has to be a better forum than the Site Feedback for this thread.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• Loco.M
        • Mar 2005
        • 3.5.x

I guess that's one way to remove the burden of the purchase of vBulletin.

hopefully the next owners know what their doing
        -- Web Developer for hire
        ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

You think pricing and support policies are bad now? Private equity firms aren't in the business to make software better. They'll probably sell everything off they don't want.

Comment

• Mark.B
            vBulletin Support
            • Feb 2004
            • 6.0.X

Originally posted by SneakyDave
            You think pricing and support policies are bad now? Private equity firms aren't in the business to make software better. They'll probably sell everything off they don't want.
            Exactly.
            MARK.B
            vBulletin Support
            ------------
            My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
            My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Ramsesx
              • Aug 2005
              • 3.8.x

Thats the way business works... if they sell it with a big profit, obviously the people who have purchased it feel that they have added a lot of value to the business
              Yes I know well how business works Adrian and just because of that I have some fears. But sure, the future will show it as always.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                • Aug 2004
                • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Ramsesx
                Sure if you look at history they bought a lot of firms and after some years they sold them with a big profit. That's the business they do. They don't care for the products, only important is $$$.
                B.t.w, it may be interesting, Mr. Hellman has also served as the General Partner at Lehman Brothers and served as president and chairman of Lehman Corporation.
                Companies are funny that way the want to make profit there not non-profit at all.

Comment

• Alfa1
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 3.8.x

So how do they plan to make that 620 million back? Considering that around 20 million is related to vbulletin. I dont believe another presale will work. Within what time span do they need to recuperate that investment?

Will this new company inject enough investment into vbulletin so it can be develop into a fully working, modern and competitive suite with addons?
                  I buy 420 forums

Comment

• Shamil.
                    • Feb 2008
                    • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Alfa1
                    So how do they plan to make that 620 million back? Considering that around 20 million is related to vbulletin. I dont believe another presale will work. Within what time span do they need to recuperate that investment?

Will this new company inject enough investment into vbulletin so it can be develop into a fully working, modern and competitive suite with addons?
                    For instance, IB may not be so much profit-focussed.
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• x626xblack
                      • Oct 2009

It shouldn't... we aren't going anywhere.

The the changes will mostly be internal with regards to how we report our financials.
                      I have been through a few large company mergers. buy outs... That is how it "Starts"... Rarely does it stay that way.. Actually I have never seen it stay that way. First the reporting changes. Then the Philosophy changes. Then the operations and usually people change... The larger company puts "their" people in place. They bring in their people.. Domino effect...

I am not speculating about vB and IB... I am stating how I have seen it happen many times on many levels with many companies.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.2.X

Originally posted by x626xblack
                        I have been through a few large company mergers. buy outs... That is how it "Starts"... Rarely does it stay that way.. Actually I have never seen it stay that way. First the reporting changes. Then the Philosophy changes. Then the operations and usually people change... The larger company puts "their" people in place. They bring in their people.. Domino effect...

I am not speculating about vB and IB... I am stating how I have seen it happen many times on many levels with many companies.
                        Have you read what the company is what take over Internet Brands there a investment company they bought it for 640miljoen so they will protect that investment because they want to get at least there investment back. We are lucky that the company is a private one so they will be-careful with their investment.

Comment

• IB Adrian
                          Former Senior Operations Manager
                          • Jul 2008
                          • 3.6.x

Originally posted by x626xblack

I have been through acquisitions, some have worked out well, others they haven't.

Either way, I think there is little point in me, or anyone else speculating the effects of this potential acquisition.
                          Adrian

Comment

• .Tim
                            • Feb 2005
                            • 3.6.x

The sky is falling the sky is falling!
                            Serious Internets

Comment

• Paul M
                              Former Lead Developer
                              vB.Com & vB.Org
                              • Sep 2004

Oh Lordy .....

I wish I could see something good coming from this, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise.
                              Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• EPCZ_Jack
                                • Jul 2010

Just when the confidence was rising
                                Also known as Jack12 on vbulletin.org

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...