vBulletin 4.1.1 already? what about vBulletin 4.1.0 Gold Status?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alfa1
    • Dec 2005
    • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
    I'm really tired of this elitist attitude where all of a sudden the validity of someone's opinion is based on how active their forum is.

The guy is happy with the software, you're not. No real need to discuss why your opinion means more than his, because it doesn't.
    I do not consider myself any more valuable as any other member here. The argument was that if you have more members, then these members will encounter more bugs. If you have more traffic, then performance issues affect your site more. vb4 is nothing to be scared about if you have a small site. I run vb4 on a small site. No problem. But the thought to transfer my big board to vb4 scares the hell out of me.
    I buy 420 forums

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook
      I'm really tired of this elitist attitude where all of a sudden the validity of someone's opinion is based on how active their forum is.

The guy is happy with the software, you're not. No real need to discuss why your opinion means more than his, because it doesn't.
      I do agree with Ryan on this one. I remember when I first used vBulletin 2 and 3 and liked what I saw. And Yes, I had no forum members. You don't have to have a huge established forum to like the software you use and voice it. And nobody has the right to tell you otherwise, just because they do have a large forum with many members.

How many people here use and like WordPress? Yet, how many members do you have?

Comment

• Porsche Dan
        • Aug 2010
        • 4.0.x

Steve,

I'm concerned with what I have read here. I just purchased vB 4.05 for a site that will host 1k+ users. Will this software support such a site? If not now, when? I will find out sooner than later so an honest answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dan

Comment

• jonsidneyb
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ace
          So you would have honestly been happier if the software had been called Beta all this time, and nobody would be entitled to any support whatsoever for running it?
          Absolutely positively 100% yes. Why wouldn't I be happier? I would not have bought it if it was still in BETA. I would have been waiting for it to go GOLD.

I really for the life of me cannot understand your response. Not one tiny bit. Can what happened in all honesty be what you would consider GOLD when it was released?
          Last edited by jonsidneyb; Tue 17 Aug '10, 9:43pm.

Comment

• Ace
            • Apr 2004
            • 4.2.X

Originally posted by jonsidneyb
            Absolutely positively 100% yes. Why wouldn't I be happier? I would not have bought it if it was still in BETA. I would have been waiting for it to go GOLD.

I really for the life of me cannot understand your response. Not one tiny bit. Can what happened in all honesty be what you would consider GOLD when it was released?
            Not sure why you think I can tell when you purchased, or that it matters to the story.. you could have purchased in the presale for all I know.

The point I made is: The only difference between the version available the day before Gold, and the Gold one, is that it is officially supported.
            My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
            vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

• jonsidneyb
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Ace
              Not sure why you think I can tell when you purchased, or that it matters to the story.. you could have purchased in the presale for all I know.

The point I made is: The only difference between the version available the day before Gold, and the Gold one, is that it is officially supported.
              If Gold means when it gets support then it is really poor nomenclature.

I purchased it at the end of February based on what I could see as a non-licensed owner. If Gold is not stated as an attempt to pass on a feeling of a certain level of quality in this context it does lose meaning hence (I don't know what gold really means anymore). I still don't understand your response to my post. You are the only one that can understand as you said this. Not me. I only stated that I didn't know what gold means anymore.

My answer is still yes.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                Former Customer Support Manager
                • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Porsche Dan
                Steve,

I'm concerned with what I have read here. I just purchased vB 4.05 for a site that will host 1k+ users. Will this software support such a site? If not now, when? I will find out sooner than later so an honest answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Dan
                What is your concern about 1k users exactly? We have 228,000 member on these forums.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                  vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                  • Aug 2000

Here is a site running vBulletin 4.X with over 20,000 active users daily - http://www.mmo-champion.com/forum.php
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• Byggahus
                    • Feb 2007
                    • 4.1.x

Correct me if I am wrong but I thougth "active users" (or active members under what's going on) meant logged in users the last 90 days.

Comment

• Zachery
                      Former vBulletin Support
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Byggahus
                      Correct me if I am wrong but I thougth "active users" (or active members under what's going on) meant logged in users the last 90 days.
                      In this case, he mean active as in online:
                      There are currently 15106 users online. 952 members and 14154 guests
                      mmo-champion is a very active and high traffic website.

Comment

• we_are_borg
                        • Aug 2004
                        • 4.2.X

mmo-champion is very busy site, it's the place to be if you want updated info about World of Warcraft, the registered users is nothing against the guest that visit and read everything.

Comment

• Helmut71
                          • Nov 2007

Hello. I am planing to upgrade my forums to vb4 - is there any aprox. release date for vb4.1? Does it make sense to wait for it?
                          www.weinviertel.net - Weinviertel Community
                          www.vbpoint.org - vBchat & more!

Comment

• Paul M
                            Former Lead Developer
                            vB.Com & vB.Org
                            • Sep 2004

There is no date atm, but sometime in the next few weeks would be my bet. Certainly before the end of 2010.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

• beishe8
                              • Oct 2005
                              • 4.2.X

Originally posted by Helmut71
                              Hello. I am planing to upgrade my forums to vb4 - is there any aprox. release date for vb4.1?
                              There isn't. There are only guesses.

Does it make sense to wait for it?
                              No,it does not.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

• Removed-836727
                                Banned by User Request
                                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by beishe8
                                No,it does not.
                                Why?

And i don't think that it will come so early as you all think.
                                ATM we're waiting for 4.0.8 and i'm sure that 4.1 will not be released some weeks later.
                                My 0.02$

Comment