X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zombie
    • Sep 2000

Piracy, do you even care??

I've e-mailed Jelsoft on several occasions about illegal boards & warez sites offering VB for download, but they have yet to do anything about them or even reply back.

So e-mailing [email protected] doesn't help, so should I post them here to get a response?
    http://www.metalforums.com/images/81x31_2.gif
  • George L
    Former vBulletin Support
    • May 2000
    • 3.8.x

once you emailed let Jelsoft/vBulletin.com handle it in their own way and own time.
    :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
    :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
    :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• zombie
      • Sep 2000

I guess you missed the part that they DO NOTHING about sites that I report.

I'm not trying to start an arguement about this, I just want to know why they (not you) do nothing about it.

Oh and it's been several months since i last reported a site. I didn't just email them the other day

Comment

• George L
        Former vBulletin Support
        • May 2000
        • 3.8.x

from what i understand vBulletin.com contacts the offending site's web host and from there it's up to the web host to comply

also vBulletin.com would have check into the licensing themselves.. it could be that the forum you reported indeed had a license or pay for removal of the copyright notices etc
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

• zombie
          • Sep 2000

Ok fair enough, but the last site I reported was a warez site that offers the download of vb and it's still there.

The reason I ask is because I work for a hosting company and I make sure that our customers are running a legal board. One potential customer was asking about why we don't allow UBB on our servers and he mentioned that he could get VB for nothing and I checked his site (not hosted by us) and he was running a warez site with VB for download. I also e-mailed UBB about the board he is running, but got not response from them.

If I have to run a legal board, and all of our customers have to, then I would like a little help from the guys here to stop piracy. That's all I'm asking for.

Comment

• George L
            Former vBulletin Support
            • May 2000
            • 3.8.x

i see.. so really you/your host/boss can shut that site down regardless of vB piracy since warez would contravene the Digital Millennium Copyright Act etc

Comment

• zombie
              • Sep 2000

Ok, you lost me on that one.

Obviously we don't allow warez sites, I was just stating a fact that I reported a warez site & it's still there after 2 months.

Comment

• George L
                Former vBulletin Support
                • May 2000
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by zombie
                Ok, you lost me on that one.

Obviously we don't allow warez sites, I was just stating a fact that I reported a warez site & it's still there after 2 months.
                yeah i understand..

i'm assuming vBulletin.com contacted the host your work for and asked them to take that site down. vBulletin.com has no control or power to directly take down a site which resides with another web host it's up to the web hosts and vBulletin.com to work together to accomplish this.

I'll make sure John and James get to read this thread okay

Comment

• zombie
                  • Sep 2000

Oh believe me, if there was a warez site on our servers, they'd be gone in a heartbeat.

When I question a boards' legallity, I'd like some type of response so I can take the appropriate action against the offending site.

It's been so long since I've asked about a board, I don't even remember them now, I'm just curious as to why my e-mails are ignored.

Comment

• George L
                    Former vBulletin Support
                    • May 2000
                    • 3.8.x

Oh believe me, if there was a warez site on our servers, they'd be gone in a heartbeat.

When I question a boards' legallity, I'd like some type of response so I can take the appropriate action against the offending site.

It's been so long since I've asked about a board, I don't even remember them now, I'm just curious as to why my e-mails are ignored.
                    if i remember correctly generally vBulletin.com will not reply to those that reported pirates unless they need to.. since there's probably hundreds of reports each day and that would consume all of their time instead of developing vB

Comment

• zombie
                      • Sep 2000

Oh I can imagine that they would have a tough time replying to all the e-mails, I'm just curious as to why the warez sites I've reported are still offering vb for download. I'd think they would care more about geting them shut down, than 1 illegal board.

I can pm you the warez site's url, and you can pass it on

Comment

• George L
                        Former vBulletin Support
                        • May 2000
                        • 3.8.x

Oh I can imagine that they would have a tough time replying to all the e-mails, I'm just curious as to why the warez sites I've reported are still offering vb for download. I'd think they would care more about geting them shut down, than 1 illegal board.

I can pm you the warez site's url, and you can pass it on
                        well i gave them the direct url to this thread.. but if you want pm me the warez site as well

Comment

• zombie
                          • Sep 2000

Done...

Comment

• George L
                            Former vBulletin Support
                            • May 2000
                            • 3.8.x

Done...
                            thanks received it

Comment

• WizyWyg
                              • Jul 2001

Just to add to this.

I report Piracy all the time; nearly 20 + reports a day. Till this day I've only received 1 acknowledgement and that was on a microsoft product.

I know NOT to expect any response, because, I TOO work where we get reports of piracy (for our software) and the amt of reports we get is very time consuming. The fact that EACH complaint must be verified which can take time.

2 months is NOTHING.
                              It has to go through the developers who then have to contact their lawyers, of which who have to find out the contact of the website in question, and email them; give them time to respond; if not, then they email the host; give them time to respond; if they dont do anything, then its a legal battle from there.

If the webhost the site is on is "warez" friendly, then its a long battle ahead.

2 MONTHS is nothing.

MOST WAREZ sites as well hide behind "layers" of urls and redirects (one site I reported was being hosted on a Geocities, angelfire, tripod, topcities, aol, and 7 others). All of which had to be contacted one by one to remove the offenders site.
                              Took 8 months to do so.
                              There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...