Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRGTB
    • May 2005

Reply To Thread Button - I keep clicking it to submit post

Is it just me, or does anybody else find themselves when writing a post. That they by accident click the blue "Reply To Thread" button to try and submit it by mistake.

I'm not complaining or anything about it. Just that I cannot get away from every now and then keep clicking that dam big blue button by accident. Maybe because it Blue, Bigger, and located handy right close to the post your writing right above it on the left-side.

The the lower white ones you should use to submit your post, blend into the background a little too well really, and are not as obvious because of that. So maybe that's why I keep making this mistake time and time again.

But this is the first time using any type of forum software, I've found myself keep repeating the same mistake.
    Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 4 Jun '10, 3:16pm.
  • Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
    • Aug 2000

Never see the reply to thread button when replying because the quick editor covers it on my screen.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
      • May 2005

Take a look at your reply to see the button I mean

Comment

• Mark.B
        vBulletin Support
        • Feb 2004
        • 6.0.X

I can see how that might happen. the eye is drawn to it.

The solution is that the "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced" buttons should be CSS styles in the same colours as the "Reply To Thread" button. This is something that didn't even happen on vB3 by default, they the CSS class was there to do it.

All my submit buttons are in the same colour as the "New reply/new thread" buttons but with a 3D effect to distinguish them from simple links.
        MARK.B
        vBulletin Support
        ------------
        My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
        My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• MRGTB
          • May 2005

I can see how that might happen. the eye is drawn to it.
          Yeah, that's what usually happens with me. You just kind of get drawn towards clicking it at times.

Comment

• feldon23
            • Nov 2001
            • 3.7.x

Like moths to a flame.

Of course if vB saved drafts of your posts...

Comment

• Wayne Luke
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by MRGTB
              Take a look at your reply to see the button I mean
              Click the reply button on the post you want to reply to. You'll see what I mean.

Wayne Luke
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• MRGTB
                • May 2005

I see what you mean, if you do that it get removed. But because you don't need to click that and can just type straight into the Quick Reply box anyway, which is how I do it. No point clicking that button in a post unless I'm replying to a higher-up post (I'm thinking). That's why I always see it still there.

Because usually I'm replying to the last post made, and just enter text straight into the text box without clicking anything. Until it needs to be submitted, And that's when I sometimes fall foul of it.

Like I said, I'm not moaning about it. It's more funny than anything else that I keep doing it every now and then. I should know by now not to click it really, I've made enough post here using vB4.

Maybe age is catching up?
                Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 5 Jun '10, 7:52am.

Comment

• Ryan Ashbrook
                  • May 2003

I see what you mean, if you do that it get removed. But because you don't need to click that and can just type straight into the Quick Reply box anyway, which is how I do it. No point clicking that button in a post unless I'm replying to a higher-up post (I'm thinking). That's why I always see it still there.

Because usually I'm replying to the last post made, and just enter text straight into the text box without clicking anything. Until it needs to be submitted, And that's when I sometimes fall foul of it.

Like I said, I'm not moaning about it. It's more funny than anything else that I keep doing it every now and then. I should know by now not to click it really, I've made enough post here using vB4.

Maybe age is catching up?
                  Multi-quote posts then click that button.

THAT, is handy.
                  Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

Multi-quote posts then click that button. THAT, is handy.
                    I see what you mean
                    Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 5 Jun '10, 7:22pm.

Comment

• Flight_Teacher
                      • May 2007
                      • 3.6.x

This is a major problem with VB4 and needs to be addressed promptly. I have several users complaining of this new "reply" behavior.

Comment

• MRGTB
                        • May 2005

I'm just posting a reply here to test something, because FF has been acting really odd now posting here. Let see if this happens again in this thread, because I just had to use IE8 to get my reply to post correctly. EDIT: You have a problem, I cannot QUOTE anything, and neither are paragraphs being created when using FF when I click the large Reply To Button - to post a reply in full edit mode.

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                          • Aug 2000

I'm just posting a reply here to test something, because FF has been acting really odd now posting here. Let see if this happens again in this thread, because I just had to use IE8 to get my reply to post correctly. EDIT: You have a problem, I cannot QUOTE anything, and neither are paragraphs being created when using FF when I click the large Reply To Button - to post a reply in full edit mode.
                          I don't understand what you mean. I am not having any problems posting in Firefox 3.6.3.

Paragraph here.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

• wcguy
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 3.8.x

I've been testing this out after complaints.....

The reply to thread button is completely superfluous, as the quick reply box is already there. Clicking on it does nothing but update the screen, even when the quick reply box is already empty.

In other words, the button has ZERO functionality that I can tell, and only pisses off users when it deletes their post.

Remove it or fix it to post. If the quick reply box is empty, at least they'll get an error box.

Comment

• Trevor Hannant
                              vBulletin Support
                              • Aug 2002
                              • 5.7.X

Originally posted by wcguy
                              I've been testing this out after complaints.....

The reply to thread button is completely superfluous, as the quick reply box is already there. Clicking on it does nothing but update the screen, even when the quick reply box is already empty.

In other words, the button has ZERO functionality that I can tell, and only pisses off users when it deletes their post.

Remove it or fix it to post. If the quick reply box is empty, at least they'll get an error box.
                              It could be changed so that it only appears when a user selects the Multi-Quote options - removing it would render that functionality dead.
                              Vote for:

- Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe (vB6)
                              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s) (vB6)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...