X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdelcour
    • Jul 2008
    • 3.7.x

Vbulletin Cheaper Elsewhere????

Ok, so I have a little gripe. I have had Vbulletin going on 3 years. I have the leased license. Why is it, that when I was paying every time, I was never told that I could save money by buying it from GlowHost?? I think that is totally unfair to your customers that they could/can be saving money by purchasing it from Glowhost

And then there's this:
    We provide a free vBulletin license and free installation services on our Professional 5 Star Web Hosting Package, as well as our Advanced 5 Star Web Hosting Package, paid annually.
  • Reeve of Shinra
    • Sep 2001

Simple -- unless they received approval, they are not allowed to do this.
    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Zachery
      Former vBulletin Support
      • Jul 2002

You are taking a risk on purchasing from a third party which might not actually be allowed to transfer the license to you.

Comment

• feldon23
        • Nov 2001
        • 3.7.x

Can we get some further clarification?

Is it legal for them to do this?

Is it a scam?

Comment

• Loco.M
          • Mar 2005
          • 3.5.x

I would rather buy the vb from here or a trusted member so there is no worry about me not keeping the license that I purchased.
          -- Web Developer for hire
          ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

• MRGTB
            • May 2005

How on earth is that site doing that legally anyway?

I was always of the impression vBulletin neither supported, nor allowed this type thing to happen with their software on the net. That looks to me like they are buying vB Licences cheap from other people selling them, then using those second-hand licenses to offer vBulletin and hosting together as a package for a set price.

What's vBulletin's stance on this?

Comment

• Steve Machol
              Former Customer Support Manager
              • Jul 2000

Originally posted by feldon23
              Can we get some further clarification?

Is it legal for them to do this?

Is it a scam?
              Anyone can purchase a license and use it for a client's site. That does not mean the client owns the license. The host would retain ownership.

As for whether it's a scam or not, I really don't know. I only see two licenses under their account and one of them is for their own forums.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Mark.B
                vBulletin Support
                • Feb 2004
                • 6.0.X

I can't see how they could do this and make money. It's not something I'd get involved with that's for sure.
                MARK.B
                vBulletin Support
                ------------
                My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• Scott
                  • Apr 2001
                  • 3.7.x

It's not cheaper from this hosting company.
                  Do the math, minimum of $19.99 at 12 months equal $239.88 and you do not own the license. Or you could pop for the $24.99 a month plan and pay $299.88 for the year. They do not mention the Publishing Suite so assume your getting the 4.0 forum classic which cost $195.00 from vBulletin.

Why screw around and complicate your life?

Originally posted by mdelcour
                  Ok, so I have a little gripe. I have had Vbulletin going on 3 years. I have the leased license. Why is it, that when I was paying every time, I was never told that I could save money by buying it from GlowHost?? I think that is totally unfair to your customers that they could/can be saving money by purchasing it from Glowhost

And then there's this:

Comment

• MRGTB
                    • May 2005

I can't see how they could do this and make money. It's not something I'd get involved with that's for sure.
                    That depends, what if they are buying cheap vB Licences sold by people for next to nothing (even expired) that gives them access to download and use vBulletin 3.8.5 (not vbulletin 4). And they install instances of vBulletin 3.

There is no license renewal yearly cost fees involved then, they could make money doing that. But I can't see how if they are offering vB4 installs, due to increased license cost. But in saying that, you don't pay yearly anymore to download vBulletin 4 latest version anymore.

Comment

• Mark.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      • Feb 2004
                      • 6.0.X

Originally posted by MRGTB
                      That depends, what if they are buying cheap vB Licences sold by people for next to nothing (even expired) that gives them access to download and use vBulletin 3.8.5 (not vbulletin 4). And they install instances of vBulletin 3.

There is no license renewal yearly cost fees involved then, they could make money doing that. But I can't see how if they are offering vB4 installs
                      Well they're quoting the vb4 price and claiming they buy the license and register it in the user's name.

I think it's dodgy, but I have heard of this company doing this in the past so it seems to have been doing it for a while.

Again, I wouldn't go near. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
                      MARK.B
                      vBulletin Support
                      ------------
                      My Unofficial vBulletin 6.0.0 Demo: https://www.talknewsuk.com
                      My Unofficial vBulletin Cloud Demo: https://www.adminammo.com

Comment

• borbole
                        • Feb 2010

I would advice against it as well. It would be best in every aspect if you bought vb straight from here, the original and official source.

Comment

• MRGTB
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by Mark.B
                          Well they're quoting the vb4 price and claiming they buy the license and register it in the user's name.

I think it's dodgy, but I have heard of this company doing this in the past so it seems to have been doing it for a while.

Again, I wouldn't go near. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
                          I stand corrected then, I only had a quick glance at that site. Yeah! Sounds more than a little doggy to me also.

Comment

• Steve Machol
                            Former Customer Support Manager
                            • Jul 2000

Originally posted by Mark.B
                            Well anyone that does this would have to abide by the normal transfer rules. And I have checked their account and there is no record of any requests from them to transfer licenses. It is possible they are purchasing licenses under someone else's name, but they would be paying full price and it would be impossible for them to control what that person does with their hosting account and site once they own the license. Frankly it doesn't make any sense at all and I have forwarded this for further investigation.
                            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• MRGTB
                              • May 2005

You beat me to it Wayne, was eating my tea. I was going to say that you previously was quoted as saying "they have transferred nothing in the past" to Mark. Yet, Mark says they been going for a while now. So that doesn't add-up at all one bit - if it's not a new venture just put online. They should be showing a few licences transferred by now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...