X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryan Ashbrook
    • May 2003

Originally posted by webxtc
    No body wants long drawn out corporate BS but I find it humorous that you think this is professional. How about if your bank told you that your money would be "ready for you when it is ready"? Or if your Web Host told you that your site would be "Back up when it is Back up"? I could give many more examples, but there is no need. I stand by the fact that sometimes no answer or "I don't now" is a better choice of words than a smart quip. Even if the quip is not meant to be offensive.
    Banks -know- where my money is. And always give me a good projection as to when it will be available to me. Therein lies the difference, they actually know.
    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

• Glenn_E
      • Dec 2009
      • 4.2.X

Originally posted by graham_w
      If you can't say anything positive or constructive, then shut your mouth. It's getting tiresome reading the negative posts over and over.
      I think that is the point that some are making. As a project manager, if a programmer tells me it will be ready when it's ready, I perceive it as a "I don't have to answer to you" type remark, which is also perceived as emotional and could be negative to some... they should, as you put it "shut their mouth." In business, which vBulletin certainly is, perception is Everything.

With that said, I am on v4.00 PL1 and have to restrict use of some features due to bugs. I have been patient for many months; I already know that v4.04 will be ready when it's ready.

A more positive or constructive response would be similar to "vb4.04 is currently in the test phase. As part of our faith in v4.04, we have upgraded vbulletin.com to allow each of you to experience the v4.04 stability and it's new features. Our target release date is 6/18; however, we must be sure we are confident in the ongoing quality of the product. Please be patient as we are working as quickly as possible to provide you with this next release. We will report status to you by Thursday (6/17) to confirm the 6/18 release date." This provides status and target deliverable dates that should satisfy the tech savvy, not so savvy, and those taking flak from their customers.

What some don't realize is that the vb4.xx pattern shows that v4.04 will probably be followed by PL1, etc.. When vb is truly ready, I'll upgrade. Until then I hope I vb will share appropriate and informational periodic status updates of what they are working on.

The bottom line... the folks at vbulletin need to remember who they truly work for. Without a paying customer, upgrades are not necessary.
      WestCoastGearHeads.com vb 4.1.10

Comment

• socceronly
        • Nov 2009
        • 3.8.x

Sorry, but "ready when it's ready" is pretty much an Internet meme for those type of questions.

No need to get your panties in a knot.
        Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Glenn_E
          • Dec 2009
          • 4.2.X

I'm not quite sure why this thread isn't closed yet.

The same points have been made several times and there's no expectation that anything will be learned here.

But, the more important question is... panties? lol That can't be comfortable.

Comment

• webxtc
            • Dec 2009
            • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Glenn_E
            I think that is the point that some are making. As a project manager, if a programmer tells me it will be ready when it's ready, I perceive it as a "I don't have to answer to you" type remark, which is also perceived as emotional and could be negative to some... they should, as you put it "shut their mouth." In business, which vBulletin certainly is, perception is Everything.

With that said, I am on v4.00 PL1 and have to restrict use of some features due to bugs. I have been patient for many months; I already know that v4.04 will be ready when it's ready.

A more positive or constructive response would be similar to "vb4.04 is currently in the test phase. As part of our faith in v4.04, we have upgraded vbulletin.com to allow each of you to experience the v4.04 stability and it's new features. Our target release date is 6/18; however, we must be sure we are confident in the ongoing quality of the product. Please be patient as we are working as quickly as possible to provide you with this next release. We will report status to you by Thursday (6/17) to confirm the 6/18 release date." This provides status and target deliverable dates that should satisfy the tech savvy, not so savvy, and those taking flak from their customers.

What some don't realize is that the vb4.xx pattern shows that v4.04 will probably be followed by PL1, etc.. When vb is truly ready, I'll upgrade. Until then I hope I vb will share appropriate and informational periodic status updates of what they are working on.

The bottom line... the folks at vbulletin need to remember who they truly work for. Without a paying customer, upgrades are not necessary.
            For the most part I can't agree with you any more. I own a business that uses a Forum as a support / sales tool and I would lay an egg if one of my forum techs answered a question like this as it is potentially money out of my pocket because of their in ability to put themselves in others shoes. No matter how dumb a question is that is posted in a publicly viewed forum there is nothing that makes a forum owner look worse than an answer that insults the party that asked it.

I did not post the question and it is in the wrong place, but to all of you taking shots at the person who asked it and me who did not like the answer, you need to remember this is what this site is here for. For current and potential customers to ask question from staff and get answers. It is not a place for adult juveniles to take pot shots at those who they feel superior to because of their perceived lame question or lack of skill as a developer.

Of course it is my fault that the thread has gotten this far away from the spirit of why it was started and for that I apologize, but I have multiple VB licenses and a product that is barely suited for use. I think a little tact, courtesy and understanding from the 'staff' is warranted and not too much to expect under these circumstances. For the rest of you, say what you will but remember "sticks and stones love"

Comment

• amoorey
              • May 2008

شكرررررررررررررررررررررررررررررررررررررررا

Comment

• socceronly
                • Nov 2009
                • 3.8.x

Originally posted by Glenn_E
                I'm not quite sure why this thread isn't closed yet.

The same points have been made several times and there's no expectation that anything will be learned here.

But, the more important question is... panties? lol That can't be comfortable.
                The panties or the knot?
                Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

• Glenn_E
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 4.2.X

lol

Comment

• Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin Technical Support Lead
                    • Aug 2000

The answer is that vBulletin 4.0.4 will be released when we feel it is in a state to do so. Right now it is not in that state. We may have more information tomorrow or it may be next week. Essentially, we will not release until we feel it is ready.
                    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...